Southern at Waterford for the TVC Hocking Title 2-24-09

BleedingPurple&Gold
Waterboy

Re: Southern at Waterford for the TVC Hocking Title 2-24-09

Post by BleedingPurple&Gold »

olay135 wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I can tell you are from Meigs County because how do you think schools like The Ohio State, OU, Akron, Bowling Green, Dayton, Cincinnati, Xavier, Youngstown State, Miami, etc get their players? Most of those schools are 32,000 plus students and they get most of their players from Ohio. I would consider that a big school. Look in the Big Ten. Most of the players in the Big Ten are from Ohio, Illinois, and Michigan. I think you need to be working on your homework over there in Meigs county instead of spending all your time on scout.com

:lol: :lol: :lol: He doesn't have a chance to go D1 but we will see where he goes.... Good luck Southern bring back the title!!!!!!

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

wouldnt southern win the title outright since this would be the 2nd time beating waterford?

seopsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by seopsfan »

1st - Cunningham is not a D1 player. He does have nice size, but no bulk to play D1. He can't compete on a D1 level. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:

2nd- Southern has had a hard time on the road. If Harris and Roberts do not shot well, it will be over before half time. Brauer needs to get Cunningham in foul trouble.

I think it's Southern time to win a title. Southern 61 Waterford 52

winsandlosses
Riding the Bench

Post by winsandlosses »

I don't think Southern will win this one. I think Cunningham will be too much. But I wouldn't short-change Southern..not with Jeff Caldwell coaching. He is worth some points with the way he coaches this team. I think it will be close. Hoping for a Southern win.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Chuck Taylor wrote:
Steely Dan wrote:Before my thoughts about the game. PT - What happened to Papa Smurf??????

LOL!!!!

Waterford is a tough place to play, and for a team that relys upon their outside shooting, it is even tougher. This gym is just tough to shoot in, period.

I don't like the odds, as the does rely upon their outside shooting to get their game going, and going inside against the Wildcats really isn't an option, unless you feed the post high and drive straight at the big boy, as he tries to block everything, and may get in foul trouble, if you play smart.

Should be an interesting game. If H2Oford wins both crowns, I would not be surprised.

I cant believe i find myself somewaht agreeing with Meely Dan. The does cant win one. Too much against them to overcome:

1. Officiating - Farmer Yoder will absolutely drill them.
2. Tradition - Waterford is building a solid basketball tradition in the TVC.
3. Talent - The Big Boy will dominate in that crackerbox gym.
4. Nickname - We used to be the "hustlin purple tornadoes". Now we are the "'does". A girly nickname cant help our mental toughness.
5. Priorities - When Howie was coaching in Racine, basketball was "priority 4" behind God, Family, and School. Baseball has filled that role in todays atheltic landscape at Racine HS.

As i said before....Pitchers and catchers report!

Chucky - I hope you feel superior by butchering my user name. That is probably the most juvenile method of trying to insult someone. Oh, I apologize, maybe I have you confused with Trimble Juvenile. Your writing style sure seems similar, as does Koondoggers, Coach K, and a round of other pseudonyms used on here by one or two people.

All of that silliness aside, it is going to come down to Southern's ability to shoot well in the gym at the elementary school in Waterford. It is unforgiving, to teams that like to shoot outside. I hope that Southern has some success, at least to make it interesting.

Gym size - Waterford is not a crackerbox, not by any stretch. Same size as Southern in my opinion, more seating than Trouble and Eastern, about the same as the High Life, and takes a second seat to Fed Hock in terms of gym size. The only difference is that Waterford has climate controls in their gym, while Southern has one temperature, and that is BROIL!!!!!!!! LOL!!!

Good luck to both teams, this one ought to be a dandy.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

classof86 wrote:wouldnt southern win the title outright since this would be the 2nd time beating waterford?

No, because the champion of the TVC is determined by the final record against TVC Hocking opponents. Waterford would've held serve against the other teams in the Hocking when Southern could not.

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

The key for Southern to win this game is to keep Cunningham on the bench. Take the ball to him :!: ;-)

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Agree. That was my point about 23 hours ago. Go straight at him and see if he can play defense. Pull your center out and drive against him......

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

He can play defense. He tries to block everything that even gets close to the paint. I think a lot of players are afraid of him for that reason and they try to play around him. ;-)

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

And, having played post, a million years ago, nothing like ball fakes, head fakes, and turnaround fade-away jumpers, that no one seems to be able to shoot anymore, at least for the last 10 years, as I have witnessed. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'd take a 6'2" kid, who can use both hands shooting, can jump, and knows how to play post like I described above (with a great drop-step, of course), and they would do very well against this kid. Just seems like post players today don't have these skills, especially when it comes to using either hand within seven or eight feet of the basket, like we used to. I'm right handed, and the last time I shot, I was much better with my left hand within 8 feet, because I practiced so much that way. It really threw the opposition into a loop.

BleedingPurple&Gold
Waterboy

Steely Dan wrote:And, having played post, a million years ago, nothing like ball fakes, head fakes, and turnaround fade-away jumpers, that no one seems to be able to shoot anymore, at least for the last 10 years, as I have witnessed. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'd take a 6'2" kid, who can use both hands shooting, can jump, and knows how to play post like I described above (with a great drop-step, of course), and they would do very well against this kid. Just seems like post players today don't have these skills, especially when it comes to using either hand within seven or eight feet of the basket, like we used to. I'm right handed, and the last time I shot, I was much better with my left hand within 8 feet, because I practiced so much that way. It really threw the opposition into a loop.

Coppick plays hard and with heart, he will drive the lane on anyone

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

And, having played post, a million years ago, nothing like ball fakes, head fakes, and turnaround fade-away jumpers, that no one seems to be able to shoot anymore, at least for the last 10 years, as I have witnessed.

I saw a kid double clutch his shot going to the hole a couple of weeks ago to avoid getting his shot blocked and I thought......I haven't seen that for a few years.

Oh and he did make the layup :!: ;-)

Chuck Taylor
Riding the Bench

Post by Chuck Taylor »

BleedingPurple&Gold wrote:Chuck Tayor whatever even if u went to Southern u never played on the 80 or 82 team because they have class and support the boys who r playing right now. Yeah the Baseball team is good and they hopefully will win the title I hope they do, I hope all Southern sports do good because i am a Southern fan... If u were a ture Fan of the Purple and Gold u would cheer for all the sports and not put are boys down and say they can win anything and play bad. They are a good team that plays hard and plays with heart so stop coming on here putting them down and talking trash about them....

so i am not a fan because i question the way things are ran and have the family jewels to speak my mind.....? Right. I would rather be who i am and ask questions and offer contructive criticism than be a eunuch like yourself...

Chuck Taylor
Riding the Bench

Post by Chuck Taylor »

Steely Dan wrote:And, having played post, a million years ago, nothing like ball fakes, head fakes, and turnaround fade-away jumpers, that no one seems to be able to shoot anymore, at least for the last 10 years, as I have witnessed. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Well we all wish we were as good as you. You truly are a legend in your own mind. However, you were never an almost state champ. Definitely state chump material if you ask me. :lol:

candystore
Varsity

Post by candystore »

Chuck Taylor wrote:

Well we all wish we were as good as you. You truly are a legend in your own mind. However, you were never an almost state champ. Definitely state chump material if you ask me. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

Coppick plays hard and with heart, he will drive the lane on anyone

He is a nice player. What grade is he in :?:

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

I'll take Waterford by about a dozen, if the big boy plays (he's been sick a lot this winter), he'll have a double-double with 20 points and 15-20 rebounds.

BleedingPurple&Gold
Waterboy

Coppick is a Jr....

Chuck Taylor wrote:

The key word is ALMOST state champ 2nd place is still a loser

tripledoubleforlife
Waterboy

Post by tripledoubleforlife »

Why is all of the southern fans worried about keeping Cunningham on the bench when you just said that the kid is not good. As for BleedingPurple&Gold, Cunningham will play D-1 Wright State or Minnesota, if you could seen him before he got sick right before your game he was packing at 260. He moved anyone he played against, he has lost about 20 to 30 lbs from being sick all winter. Like you would know anyways you just sit behind a computer down grading teenagers during the day which must be mature this day in age. Your just jealous that you don't have the opportunities that he does

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

I'm not from Southern or any other TVC Hocking school for that matter, but I think it's obvious that if you get any big man in foul trouble and he rides the pine, your team's chances increase. ;-)

Return to “Boys Basketball”