Kayaking/canoeing

Prime Time
All State

Re: Kayaking/canoeing

Post by Prime Time »

Paladin, One of my favorite places is in Kentucky, Lake Cumberland, Daniel Boone Forest area. Black Bass( large and smallmouth). If you have never been there, give it a try, you’ll love it.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Prime- The funny thing is I got my undergrad degree from Morehead St. Univ. in Eastern Ky. Lake Cumberland is in Western Ky. Never been there but had several classmates who lived near there who spoke of good fishing there.

I’m attracted to waters where there are great eating fish. Not a fan of bass, except for catching smallmouth, great fighters. Walleye, perch and panfish ( crappies, bluegill) are my favorite eats. Never cared for bass or even catfish.

Loved the adventure aspect and challenge of wilderness fishing. But have never had to travel far from NEO to find great local lakes and rivers for good fishing of my favorite delicious eating fish. Somewhat spoiled in that respect.

Have gun, will travel
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

So I take it you know all about Grayson Lake, Cave Run Lake ,I frequent there a lot. Very relaxing and have a lot luck at both.
Last edited by Prime Time on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

So I take it you know all about Grayson Lake, Cave Run Lake ,I frequent there a lot. Very relaxing and have a lot luck at both. Muskie fishing at Cave Run

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Last time I was there I ate in Morehead at a place(can’t remember the name) across from hospital.but it was in a older White House and had the best food and desserts. I plan on stopping back there every chance I get, a hidden gem in Morehead. When you get off exit of I64 and head toward Morehead ,it’s on right just before hospital on left.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

What about the Natural Bridge State Park great outdoors area and very nice place to get away .

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Well, you are going to make me confess - in all my years at Morehead, never fished the local waters. Cave Run was used to take dates out to for.., er.. fun ! Or the guys would pick up 6 packs from the bootleggers on either side of town ( Morehead was dry ) and drink along the scenic shores.

I haven’t been back to Morehead since 1967 when I graduated. Seen pics as the town changed and the University expanded. I was married my last year ,lived off campus, so got home cooking, lol.

Cave Run is a good looking lake for kayaking and I hear the fishing is good there, but .......

I’ve traveled coast to coast on business , but always scouted areas for fishing and boating that I haven’t done yet. Texas around San Antonio was attractive on several visits. Stream and small lakes in Big Sur , Cal. Was another on numerous trips to Monterrey/Carmel. Trips to Denver had trout streams and mountain lakes. Black Lake in upstate N.Y. Not far from my St. Lawrence trips was supposed to be great fishing. Minnesota had lakes everywhere with loads of northern (who eat well), walleye and panfish everywhere.

Have gun, will travel
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Had a friend that was at the Bad Bass Champs , Mosquito Lake. You been , up your way

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Usually take my Jon boat out on Cave Run . Went up in the U P a few years ago around Flowers Bay also

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Never fished any tournaments. Mosquito has numerous fishing tournaments. Bass Masters has been here. Multiple walleye tournaments. Crappie tournaments. They even have cats as big channels are here.

On a trip to St. Lawrence, the BassMasters were there. I had taken my youngest son for a week and he made friends with one of the Pros sons. We took him along with us while his Dad fished the tourney. We were catching big northerns.

I’ve been to the U P but never fished there.

I don’t anymore, but in younger years took my sons ice fishing on Mosquito yearly. Lake often freezes over early and with cold temp and lake effect snow from Erie, we get thick ice. Lake becomes a town with all the huts and open fishermen. Fun but lake is a north-south 11 mile long lake and wind rips right thru you. Walleyes and crappies.

I still to fish the local rivers in kayak. Unknown to most, they breached the dam at lake Milton (Muskie, walleye, crappies, panfish and bass) for repairs and the fish went downstream in the Mahoning River. It dams up at Newton Falls. After Milton was redammed, that stretch is a major honey hole. Ditto West Branch which is the west fork of the Mahoning (dumping stripers).

I used to kayak fish Pymatuning Lake on Ohio-Pa. border. 10hp lake but huge (14000 acres). Largest lake in the area. Use care there but both Ohio and Pa stock it in addition to natural reproduction. Finding fish there means a full stringer.

Have gun, will travel
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Sounds like your a seasoned pro and have fished many different places and had some great times with your sons. You can never replace memories with your sons. You have been blessed Paladin. Plus if your a ex Eagle you can’t be all bad .

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

This October going to Lake Mantee State Park for 3 weeks. Outside Bradenton. Fl . Love that time of year in Florida. Then I will head to Key Largo until Thanksgiving . Done this 3 years ago and loved it I have family in the Keys and makes it nice and cheap on me.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

This October going to Lake Mantee State Park for 3 weeks. Outside Bradenton. Fl . Love that time of year in Florida. Then I will head to Key Largo until Thanksgiving Or in to December. . Done this 3 years ago and loved it I have family in the Keys and makes it nice and cheap on me.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Just got lucky. Left teaching/coaching early taking a much better paying job. Travel coast to coast. Well paid and 4 weeks vacation a year. Could afford family vacations and vacations with guys or my sons. Fishing relieved the stress. Could boat and fish locally with a ton of area lakes or hit the road. Fish at home anytime or use vacations for special trips. I’ve been very fortunate.

Have gun, will travel
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

God Bless I’m sure your students and athletes were guided in right direction by your leadership. Life is what you make it and it sounds like you have made a great life . I’m sure your proud of your sons and I’m sure they look up to you .

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Paladin, I’ve traveled Europe last 5-6 years and always took in the small fishing villages and talked to natives from each locale. One of most favorite place was in the Irish Sea in little fishing town of Kinsale, Ireland. So picturesque and quiet, slow life. Stayed in Cobh outside Cork. I’ve also attended a lot sporting events while in Europe, In Paris, French Open, in Barcelona Spain, took in a soccer match in the famed Barcelona soccer stadium, breathtaking to say the least. At one point have coached sports teams. I’m glad you get to travel and enjoy life.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Never been to Europe. My wife went on a trip to Ireland and was impressed by the country. Yes, traveling is an elixir of life. Meeting new people, different cultures, foods, customs, things that we can learn from others.

I often wished I had traveled more out of the country. Love the Canadians ( exception being some of the French in Quebec who are pricks). If I had an itinerary it would be Barcelona, Spain, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Athens, Greece, Paris France and possibly the Scandinavian countries.

Two of my sons married Greek girls, so interacted with their families, eat Greek foods and attend a huge annual Greek festival in Warren in July with Greek dancers, music, foods, etc benefiting the Greek church. Oldest grandson dressed up in Greek costumes was a Greek company dancer, lol.

BTW, love food, and Greek foods are pretty good. Moussaka, spanakopita, gyros and baklava are all favorites. Ditto Greek salad dressing over greens, feta cheese, olives and nuts and fruits is a winner. And big glass of wine ! Ever have octopus ? Squid ( calamari) ? darn, I’m getting hungry,lol.

Have gun, will travel
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Spent a few hours at the lake today. Beautiful out. Anyway, took my bag chair and a drink and headed to grassy knoll overlooking the marina area on a quite bay. Along comes several cars with loads of kayaks. Turns out it was just a group of female friends out for a paddle. All clad in bikinis, they unloaded in front of me and paddled the shorelines. Right in front of me. Did I tell you it was beautiful out ?

In more ways than one. :lol:

Have gun, will travel
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I bet it was, guess where I’m heading at 5am in morning for 10 days. Lake Cumberland. I’ll think about you , maybe I’ll see some beautiful sites also. Good fishing to you.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”