Kayaking/canoeing

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Re: Kayaking/canoeing

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

I would have the same chance setting and fishing on a floating log in the middle of a lake. One wrong move and I'd Flip over and in the water I'd go. Canoes and Kayaks about have the same buoyancy if your not careful. :roll:

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Hey trench and 9 and a half inches go out to Walmart, paldi was right they got a poopy load of them out there. I was in there for a midnight run the other night and I couldn't believe all of them. You two sound like pretty big hosses and they look they could hold you both. They must be selling better than riding tractors :lol:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

RURAL KINGS ALWAS HAVE A BUNCH TOO. SO MANY PEOPLE ARE BUYING THEM HERE AT LAKE WHITE.I NEVER BEEN IN A KAYAK, IT LOOKS LIKE A BLAST, BUT I THINK I'D LIKELY PREFER A CANOE MYSELF. BEING 295 POUNDS AND MULTIPLE SURGERIES. PLYS THE HAVE SEATS IN THEM. I USED A PADDED STADIUM SEAT ON MINE TO HOOK TO THE SEAT.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

IMG_5355.JPG
Here is my Hydros Angler sit on top . My 1st kayak good for a beginner I only use it to fish

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

NICE.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:52 am NICE.
Thanks the bass slayer 1 has pulled in some nice fish!
IMG_0701.JPG

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

awesome, nice bass.

BurgBuckeye
Freshman Team

Post by BurgBuckeye »

Nice fish!!

Kayaker here. Favorite place to fish is Rocky Fork or some bigger farm ponds I can slide the yak down in. Favorite place to just paddle is Grayson lake or Greenbrier River. Grayson has some real cool rock walls and waterfalls and one spot that is kinda secret but one of the coolest waterfalls around. And Greenbrier is a perfect mixture of calm moving water and an occasional SMALL rapid with awesome scenery, wildlife and rock formations.

Lets hear others favorite spots, and why!!?!!

GO BUCKEYES!
wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

BurgBuckeye wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:32 am Nice fish!!

Kayaker here. Favorite place to fish is Rocky Fork or some bigger farm ponds I can slide the yak down in. Favorite place to just paddle is Grayson lake or Greenbrier River. Grayson has some real cool rock walls and waterfalls and one spot that is kinda secret but one of the coolest waterfalls around. And Greenbrier is a perfect mixture of calm moving water and an occasional SMALL rapid with awesome scenery, wildlife and rock formations.

Lets hear others favorite spots, and why!!?!!

My favorite spot is all of Rattlesnake creek from fayette through highland county ,Ive caught some really nice bass.

Also most of Paint creek and just started fishing the Big Darby creek. Really nice.

Burr Oak lake is one I would take your kayak too. I went this summer and it has some big bass. Its a whole day trip though and i would go early morning

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I have Folbot and Grumman and love them both. I agree the Hocking River is very shallow in places.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I’ve owned a 17’ Folbot double and a 15’ Grumman. I liked mine as well. My favorite however was a 13’ Old Town Loon. Had it for years. Also had a 9.5’ Perception which was a good fishing machine. Had all of those in Canada fishing. I’m also a lifetime member of the area Canoe/kayak club and served as its Prez for a number of years. Check our website out. trumbullcanoetrails.org

Top left has a section of photos of our trips.

Have gun, will travel
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Paladin , where can I buy a used Folbot for my son-in-law. Price reasonable and any new fishing holes up your way. Thanks

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Prime - Folbots are very hard to find. Rare around here. New boats had their prices jacked up years ago n a corporate takeover leaving used boats still pricey.

New fishing holes. Up here they are all old but very good. Ton of lakes - Mosquito for walleye, crappie, bass, cats, panfish and northerns. Pymatuning for walleye, crappie, Muskie and panfish. Lake Milton and Berlin for walleye, panfish , cats and Muskie. West Branch for stripers, bass and panfish. All are nearby. Lake Erie is near and I go to Geneva where I know some hotspots or take a trip to the Western Basin at Port Clinton. Rivers are very good - Grand, Upper Cuyahoga, Mahoning, and in Pa. , Allegheny and Shenango. Clarion and French Creek also very good. In a kayak, river floats are better than lake fishing. Other than Pymatuning Lake (10 hp.), all lakes are unlimited HP. So kayaks better on rivers and powerboats on the lakes.

Have gun, will travel
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Paladin, excellent post I’m going to coming up to Erie,Pa, in a few and going to state park there, I’m looking forward to that. I’m also going to try a few lakes in future in northern Ohio. Yes, I have been looking for Fulbots and your right hard to come by. Have you ever fished Presque Isle Bay in Erie. have you ever fished Edinboro Lake in Pa.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Catawba Island is also one of my favorites.also. East Harbor State Park also. Been to Shenango river near Sharpesville, you have to try breakfast at Tiffany’s Diner there, the best. I was around the darn a few years back.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Prime- Been to Presque Isle often. It’s a favorite. As Prez of the local canoe/kayak club , we made that trip yearly. A kayak is perfect there because it’s flat water, protected by the peninsula that shelters the bay from the lake. Inside the bay across from Erie, Pa. , you will find what they call the “lagoons” , as well as the bay that are fished. We launched inside the park near Perry’s Monument. Do the lagoons. However it’s highly scenic and paddling on a bright day is a lot of fun. Watch out for the snapping turtles ! Lots of panfish, some walleye and smallmouth in the bay.

Been to East Harbor and camping with my sons. Catawba is usually where we launch. Then due north to the islands and Put In Bay. I had an 18’ Sport Fisherman for years, console with Bimini top and a big Merc on the back that we used there. Excellent walleye and smallmouth. Dock and get a beer and pizza.

As I said, in Pa. it’s great doing the Allegheny and a personal favorite, the Clarion River. That is an awesome river and we would do day trips of 10-20 miles in kayaks from the upper reaches into Cooks Forest. Lots of fishermen on both rivers. Have never fished Edinboro.

Never been to Tiffany’s . We used to do the Shenango from upstream at the covered bridge in Reynolds to just before you hit the lake. Then drive into Sharon to Quaker Stake and Lube for burgers and beer.

Have gun, will travel
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Paladin, Have you ever fished on Kelley Island, I’m thinking about going on northern end around North Bay. Any thoughts on this. Heard good perch, bass fishing.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Prime - very little fishing around Kelley’s Island. What I know of western Basin is that the walleye are migratory circulating around the islands depending on time of year. I have electronics ( fish finders) that flash the bottom structures and fish bodies at various levels. I follow that looking for structures or schools. In open water, with no structure, you are looking at walleye schools, usually deeper water after early season shallow water.
Around structure, you are looking at smallmouth and perch. Rocky shore with drop offs are usually good. Spent most of my time hunting walleye but we have hit pockets around rocks (10-15ft.)for smallmouth and perch.

I had an 18’ boat which is ok but small for Erie. Keep an eye on the sky as Erie can get nasty quick and make a run for Put In Bay or shelter around an island opposite of the wind and waves. Erie is fun but very dangerous.

I’m a jig fisherman mostly up there - erie dearies or leadhead jigs. Sometimes floating jig heads with weighted line using minnows or crawlers. On flat water some trolling.

While I enjoy the Western Basin, my home ground is Geneva. I have a honey hole just 100 yds offshore where they dumped the excess boulders used to line the shore protecting a beach. Easy to find with electronics, can anchor over it and fish all day long. Close to launch if foul weather comes up. And it’s full of fish!

Have gun, will travel
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Thanks for your input, this helps me with a clearer picture of where I might end up this summer. You sound like your a expierenced fisherman and canoe and kayaker. I will definitely consider some of your fishing spots and always looking for a local place to eat in each place. Plus places that serve cold ones. I’ll keep you updated and have fun with your grandson back down here in the Hocking Hills. I usually use a casting or flipping jig A lot

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

If you are real adventurous, Canada can’t be beat. Spent 10 straight years with a group of Area coaches going to Belleterre, Quebec for a week. Strictly boonies, small village but true wilderness fishing. Ton of lakes interconnected by beaver streams. Cleaned and ate catch nightly. Packed sandwiches for all day fishing after a hearty breakfast. 14’ aluminum boats with 10 hp motors. Took one and rented one. Mostly northerns and walleye.

Thousand Islands ( St. Lawrence River) Upstate N.Y./ Ontario. Scenic as he11. Great fishing. I’d love to go back. Bass, northerns, panfish.

North Bay, Ont. - Lake Nippissing. Anothe favorite. Cabin rentals all around the lake. In town restaurants. Lots of bars ! Northerns, walleye,smallmouth, panfish.

Point Au Barile, Ont. on shore of Lake Huron. Rental cabins. Varied fishery. Water is deep and very cold even in summer. Smallmouth, panfish, northerns.

Surf fishing in Ocean City , Md. Took a family vacation here annually for a week for over 20 years. Deep sea fishing charters too. Hooked a shark in the surf. Great fun.

Grew up fishing Lake Logan, Hocking River and Old Town.

Have gun, will travel

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”