Places to fish in southern ohio

UK#1
Riding the Bench

Places to fish in southern ohio

Post by UK#1 »

I'm lookin for places to fish in the Hocking River, Scioto River, and Salt Creek. It would be a big help and save alot of gas if someone could tell a few spots.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Places to fish in southern ohio

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i like the location here in waverly where we moved. you have lake white where we live. 15 minutes away you have pike lake. pretty close to rocky fork. the scioto river is just minutes away. pee pee creek. there are a couple lakes there at i think it's called scioto trail state park, just below chilly. it ain't falcon lake , but i caught a 4.2 pounder here last year. and i don't have mexican mafia shootin at me either. not too far from some really nice lakes in the youngstown area. shawnee ain't that far away.

UK#1
Riding the Bench

Post by UK#1 »

Mostly i'm just looking for places in rivers to fish or creeks. Lakes i know pretty well. Lake Hope and lake rupert are my best because i fish there the most. One place i've looked for but never seemed to find was where salt creek goes in the scioto.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

What are some good places and baits for them 2 lakes Joe. I will in return put you in a couple good catfish holes.

UK#1
Riding the Bench

Post by UK#1 »

Well I think fishing lake rupert is better from the bank then a boat. dont know why but i think it is. there are three main places to fish this lake. Skeeter holler at the end of lake road is good for cats. under the rt. 683 bridge and by the boat ramp is good during the day fishin with night crawlers or kellys plow jockys. last is the road to cassil cemetery. about halfway back there is a clearing on the left where you can fish. best on nights when the water is high but make sure you take a net. those places just uses crawlers and liver. lake hope on the other hand you should take a boat. There isnt many places to fish off the bank because of lily pads. my best advice is to get on the other side of the lily pads at the dam and cast back to the edge of them and you should catch some nice cats.

BleedGreen
Freshman Team

Post by BleedGreen »

Timber Ridge great fish hole in the middle of BFE and I Love it.....

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I fish the scioto some for big flatheads the bad thing about it is getting a boat up it if I want to catch big blues I fish the ohio and I drift fish it with cutbait me and my oldest son put it on the blues last summer caught about 40 fish 20 pounds or better the 2 biggest were 43 and 49pounds if your cant tell by the name I luv big catfish.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

What Speices of Fish are You wanting to Target?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I haven't been on it since my father used to take me there when I was a little boy but have you tried Ohio Brush Creek?

UK#1
Riding the Bench

Post by UK#1 »

I'm mostly lookin for places to catfish but i like to fish for about anything. Never heard of Ohio Brush Creek. Where is it at?

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

If You're lookin for Cats Just pick about ANY spot on the Hocking, and get some cut Bluegill and You'll get into the Cats

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Joe Dirt!!! wrote:I'm mostly lookin for places to catfish but i like to fish for about anything. Never heard of Ohio Brush Creek. Where is it at?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Brush_Creek a little article on it. As I said, I haven't been on it since dad would take me there as a boy and it's probably been over 45 years since I've fished in it

if I recall, there's a lot of pools with ripples in between. Some of it, you'd need a boat to fish it and you'll still need to drag a boat across some of the ripples

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

If you want to catch a bunch of cats in the 2 to 10lbs range float down scioto using shad guts and you better take a bunch of shad because it aint hard to catch a hundred channels in a day.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

A friend of mine told me that you can catch a bunch of nice channel cats in the river that runs by the ou campus is that the hocking river.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Doesnt that picture make you wanna go fishing

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Yes thats the Hocking River, And Yes its full of Nice Channels, Theres alot of Nice Flatties in there also. I spend Most of My fishing time on the Hocking, So If You need any info on it just ask

UK#1
Riding the Bench

Post by UK#1 »

yeah the only place iv heard of people catch fish on the hocking was around whites mill and ou i dont really know where else to go. iv thought about tryin up off the bike path between nelsonville and athens but i dont know. anyone know if there is much of anything in racoon creek and where to fish it? i was always told up here in vc the creek dont have any fish in it.

Old*rocket
JV Team

Post by Old*rocket »

If ur wanting to catfish racoon will find ur self catching more bullhead cats, every now and then a nice channel cat will hit.little racoon offers better catfishing,good place to try is wellston park road just before lake alma this road will take u to mulga road.fish at 2nd bridge,the spillway is just to ur right at that bridge,but u will need to park at 1st bridge and walk the path if u want to fish spillway,Where little racoon runs under 32,fish under bridge.use creekchubs or cut bluegill for bait liver works but i had better luck with live or cutbait.I have cought many nice channel cat in these spots over the years.little racoon starts at lake rupert spillway and runs by lake alma.just follow the creek there r many spots u can pull of the road and fish.

UK#1
Riding the Bench

Post by UK#1 »

Yeah i never fished at the spot off wellston park but iv always seen people fishin there. how about down by the abandoned bridge on mulga where it meets with wellston park is there any fish over there i dont know if that was the same creek

Old*rocket
JV Team

Post by Old*rocket »

same creek catfishing good at that spot also.now as for good spot on hocking try cr24 its around 3 miles out of athens on 50, belpre exit.u will exit on 24 to ur right go 100 yards park at pull off before bridge this spot has lots off fishing space and deep holes.also great place to camp for the weekend.fish the deep hole before the ripples,nice place to catch shovelheads.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”