I need help selecting a scope and ammo.

WE ARE ND
JV Team

I need help selecting a scope and ammo.

Post by WE ARE ND »

I just got a Marlin model 336 .30-30 Win. I would like to get a scope for it. but im not sure what scope to get. It needs to be under $100. Alo does anyone know what ammo shoots best in the marlin?

wink
JV Team

Re: I need help selecting a scope and ammo.

Post by wink »

Since a 30-30 ain't a long range gun I'd get nothing bigger than a 4X with the widest field of vision I could find for moving targets.

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Post by ChessyFan09 »

Stay away from the see-through mounts and get a shotgun style scope in a 2x to 7x or a 1.5 to 4.5x power mounted as low to the barrell as possible. The Remington 150 or 170 grain is readily available at walmart and is as good as you can ask for.Sight in 2 inches high at 100 yards and you're good to 150 yards and limit your shots to that.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

ChessyFan09 wrote:Stay away from the see-through mounts and get a shotgun style scope in a 2x to 7x or a 1.5 to 4.5x power mounted as low to the barrell as possible. The Remington 150 or 170 grain is readily available at walmart and is as good as you can ask for.Sight in 2 inches high at 100 yards and you're good to 150 yards and limit your shots to that.
Very good choice imo

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

I bought 3 boxes of ammo today. I also purchased a Simmons 8-point buck 3-9-40 scope. the ammo I tried were Remington Core-Lokt 150 grain, Federal power shock 150 grain, and hornady Lever-Evolution 160 grain. All of them grouped decently but the Hornadys shot best.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

WE ARE ND wrote:I bought 3 boxes of ammo today. I also purchased a Simmons 8-point buck 3-9-40 scope. the ammo I tried were Remington Core-Lokt 150 grain, Federal power shock 150 grain, and hornady Lever-Evolution 160 grain. All of them grouped decently but the Hornadys shot best.

Hornady is what I am shooting right now, they say they make the best bullets so I tried them and am very satisfied with what they offer. Dont go by the bullet drop chart on the box though because it is not even close for my gun at what it says the 400 yard drop is. Maybe its just my rifle but I would check before I went only on what the box says if I were you

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

Thanks for the advice. My Simmons 8-point scope i bought for it seems to fit the gun well. Simmons is my favorite scope brand, affordable and reliable.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

WE ARE ND wrote:Thanks for the advice. My Simmons 8-point scope i bought for it seems to fit the gun well. Simmons is my favorite scope brand, affordable and reliable.

My Simmons 8-point scope lasted 4 years before it was done

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

I almost bought Cabelas "Pine Ridge" .30-30 caliber specific 3-9-40 scope for my Marlin. it is designed for the LeverEveloution bullet and has the BDC reticle.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

WE ARE ND wrote:I almost bought Cabelas "Pine Ridge" .30-30 caliber specific 3-9-40 scope for my Marlin. it is designed for the LeverEveloution bullet and has the BDC reticle.

BDC mean bullet drop reticle? I have one of them and it makes things so much easier. Mine has a range finder on it 2 so its pretty simple to use

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

Is there anyway to find the year of make from the serial # without mailing information?

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

Try this site I hope it helps!!!

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

Thank You! It worked! I found out my .30-30 was made in '80. It doesnt have a mark on it. I think its pretty good for a 31 year old gun!

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Master those iron sights before you go putting optics on a 30-30. I'd never waste my money...you'd be better served in buying 100 bucks in ammo and shooting more.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Boonedawg wrote:Master those iron sights before you go putting optics on a 30-30. I'd never waste my money...you'd be better served in buying 100 bucks in ammo and shooting more.
Agreed. Why put money into a mount and scope on a 150 yd. weapon?

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

I ended up putting a $35 simmons 3-9-40 on it, but i can still see the sights. With my leverrevolutions i shoot in it, it is capable for a little more than just 150 yards.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”