Guntersville Fishing Report

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Guntersville Fishing Report

Post by kantuckyII »

...well, I would be lying if I said I had a great trip..or even a good one. I was warned by several that the fishing was slow before I left and I might want to rethink it. My thoughts were, it has to get better but...my thoughts weren't all that good as very few were catching. Some would really get into them but they were very few and the one's that did caught smaller bass that were feeding on balls of shad that they had against a bank. Two guys I talked to were from Tennessee. They caught 56 bass sitting still in one spot and never moved. The thing is though, they were smaller bass and I was wanting a big fish. I was trying to fish deeper water and liking the jig. The largest I caught was 4lb's. I caught 3 3's that day and a 4. I got them on a crank bait...right over the grass beds in about 6' to 8' of water..slowly pulling it over the bed.

One thing that was really hurting the fishing was that...there was a TREMENDOUS bait fish spawn this spring. These fish can just open their mouth and swim and get shad caught in them. One commercial catfisherman I talked too said that he could have all the shad he wants and needs for that night in less than 5 minutes with his casting net. This makes fishing tough but in the next year or so...it will really pay off in larger fish.

One other thing..it's getting MIGHTY Raw down there. Alabama fishermen are getting sick of guys coming down and raping their lake. I don't blame them myself but they actually were saying crap to me all the time. No doubt..the fact that I'm middle aged and alone would make them a little bolder. When I explained to them that I can't stand a meat hunter, they warmed up to me but...in the near future, I could see some trouble breaking out. As one marina had a sign posted that said:
"MEAT HUNTERS - GO HOME! WE DON'T WANT YOU HERE!"
I agree with them but..hey, why tear into me? I'm not keeping their fish..and..furthermore, why not change the laws to 2 fish only or something like that or no fish. I'd love to see it totally catch and release myself...

A few photos from the lake this week:
ImageThis was taken Saturday evening as the leaves were starting to reach their peak in places..many still hadn't even turned yet! It was beautiful there, around 80 one day and it LOOKED Like early October here

ImageA cut out on the lake..looking out towards the Tennessee River or the main body of the lake, whatever you want to call it

ImageI love you my Triton friend! It's so comfy and even in a heavy chop..running 60 mph..it was BONE DRY and smooth riding....I HATE THE TROLLING MOTOR ON IT>>A PIECE OF JUNK LIKE ANY MOTORGUIDE I'VE Owned!

ImageMillfoil on point reaching out onto main lake

Image Bait's new home he's building on Lake White..naw, it's on Guntersville. What a mansion, and right on a beautiful creek on the lake

ImageMilfoil balled up on my trolling motor. The only good thing is that it's not that hard to pull off the trolling motor like some weeds

Image Narrow buoy channel going up Raccoon Creek

I'd post more but..guess where I'm goin in a minute? ha! you got it, I'm going out to the lake, not sure which but I woke up thinking I want to go :122246

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: Guntersville Fishing Report

Post by Bleeding Red »

Just think of how poor you would have done fishing around here! Several good fish, couldnt be that bad of a trip!

I like that big house. Isnt it right off the Tenn River toward the left as you go back in toward jackson co park?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Naw, I'm thinking now it might be on Mud Creek or Racoon Creek. It's brand new. If you look closely, you can see one of the painters going back inside. I really ain't crazy about that creek at Jackson Co. Park. It weeds up solid and seems to do so early. Last time I was there, I spent a day and a half on that creek and didn't catch a fish. That afternoon, I loaded up..drove to Minx Creek, road around till I saw something I liked and Katie Bar The Door, what a difference that was!

Fished Grayson today knowing the weather said, 57 for a high....ROFL! never got above 42 out there! got one about a foot long and missed another, both on a jig. It was SLOW fishing to say the least and I was so cold coming back to the dock I was shivering...I had an ice cream headache and thought how I'd love to have one of those face mask the whole time.

Found some nice places to rent this week about 1 mile from Mud Creek, 50 a night, 80 if you get a garage to keep your boat in, stay six and the 7th is free.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Thats a deal!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I followed him to them, they're nice places and very quiet and safe looking. All brand new practically. Each has an outside charcoal grill as well. Now, as far as television or something like that? I never found out what he has available.

I, on the other hand, really prefer, in a sense, sleeping in a tent as it's usually only around 18 a night and that allows me to stay more nights! :122245

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”