Anyone been COYOTE hunting yet?

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Anyone been COYOTE hunting yet?

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

Its the best time of year to be coyote hunting or well it has been for me for the 8 years that I have been hunting them! And has anyone had any luck too?

BigOrangeOne
S

Re: Anyone been COYOTE hunting yet?

Post by BigOrangeOne »

When (time of day) is the best time to hunt them?.....and how?

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

well every source that i have says that the coyotes favorite time to hunt is in low light witch would of course be at sunrise and sunset. But my favorite times to hunt them and the times that I have had the better percentage of calling in coyotes is early in the mourning when the sun is just rising! I havnt saw that it matters if it is in low light time or an hour later though. I have had a high percentage of calling coyotes in any time with in the first hour of light. and my second favorite is at night and I think that is another easy time to call them in because that is when we are hardly outside and they feal safe to roam around. I have called in 3 coyotes before at night during one call and 2 during the day during one call. but my percentage is still higher to call one in and get a good shot in the first hour of daylight!

The reason that you might see coyotes in wide open fields during the day is because they are mousing and trying to eat all of the rodents that are eating the scattered food from the plants that the farmers harvisted already now. That is what I have thought they are out there anyways haha

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

http://www.varmintal.com/

That is the best website I know about and for coyote hunting!

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

I have been 2x this year, its the first year that i have really gotten into it. The first time that i went i called in two foxes, one that came within 20 yards, and a coyote that was around 100 yards away but was in some thickets.the second time i went i called a another gray fox within 20 yards! Went to take a shot at it, but my safety was on and he took off :oops: :oops:

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I have been 2x this year, its the first year that i have really gotten into it. The first time that i went i called in two foxes, one that came within 20 yards, and a coyote that was around 100 yards away but was in some thickets.the second time i went i called a another gray fox within 20 yards! Went to take a shot at it, but my safety was on and he took off

I have heard of Buck fever but not fox fever. :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

oh so what was you callin with that you called in 2 fox? I have only called in 2 fox the whole time that I was calling for coyotes and that was with a rabbit in distress call. They come in about everytime to grey fox pup in distress calls though.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

I use a rabbit distress call most times, but have had limited succes with a fawn bleat at nite. On really cold nites, every now and then, I will just sit out on the front porch with the shotgun and red spotlight since them buggers try to make some easy pickins of my best mouser cats.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Ive used the fawn distress call a few times and that was the only way I have ever called in a coyote when that was what I was hunting at the time on my property. I mixed it in with coyote barks and howls with my mouth call that I have too though. The other 2 times that i used fawn distress I just got charged by angry does haha

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

:lol: yea it sucked, but i was using a rabbit in distress call. Both night i have went calling, the foxes come charging in hard. where i go though has always been overrun with foxes and no one hunts them really in this area.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Yeah on my place the grey fox are pretty easy to call in with the grey fox pup distress sound. The last 2 times I called was last year me and my friend called in 6 and 7 on our 366 acres. and prolly could of called in more because every spot we went to we called in 1 or 2 and we had more spots that we could of went too.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

If you can stand the bitter cold mornings, now is the time to be out hunting coyotes.

They are on a fast paced mission to find food during the first daylight hours, and they more apt to come into a call to find a hot meal.

We have had decent sucess with the standard calls like cottontail in distress, but it seems like once you call one or two in off a piece of property they quickly figure out the calls. Coyotes are very smart critters.

I have been told recently, that they cannot refuse to come into a fox pup call, as someone also stated on here. I cant wait to try it out. Tomorrow morning might be a great time to put it to the test.

I had the pleasure of taking 2 coyotes this year during early bow season , and it was more of a thrill than most of the deer I have taken with a bow. The first was shot at 15 yards and we were filming, but my buddy didnt see the coyote until after I shot so we didnt get footage of the shot, just of the recovery.

Anyone that wants to hunt a very savy animal needs to give coyote hunting a try. Plus we are getting an abundance of them in Southern Ohio and thinning them out a bit certainly wont hurt anything. I know several farmers that allow ZERO hunting, but are more than happy to let us hunt coyotes. Even if you dont call any in, you may stumble on some early massive deer sheds lying around on ground that cannot be hunted!

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

oh so what type land are you hunting on? like wood land, pasture land, field crop land, river beds or what?

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Saturday morning, I got two coyotes, with the shot gun at about 35 yards comming almost straight in my direction, crossing my property on my lower pond dam. It was 5 AM, I was sqatted down with my back against a maple tree. The only thing I can figure is that they focused in on a couple of cats playing around a few yards away from me to my right. They sure saw me when I pulled that shotgun up to my shoulder. TOO LATE FOR THEM........HAHAHA.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Lower pond????? Any bass in there???? :122245 :122245 :122245

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Mainly bass in the lower pond. Upper pond has a mixture of blue gill, bass, and cat fish. Back in the summer of 05, my youngest boy pulled a 16lb turtle out of the upper pond while juggin for cat.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Space Cowboy wrote:Saturday morning, I got two coyotes, with the shot gun at about 35 yards comming almost straight in my direction, crossing my property on my lower pond dam. It was 5 AM, I was sqatted down with my back against a maple tree. The only thing I can figure is that they focused in on a couple of cats playing around a few yards away from me to my right. They sure saw me when I pulled that shotgun up to my shoulder. TOO LATE FOR THEM........HAHAHA.

What were you using to call them in?

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

I didnt even go out early that morning expecting to get anything. I went down to check out the old farmhouse my wife grew up in and, out of habit after seeing coyote and hearing them around about that time of morning.I took the shotgun with me. The cats followed me down and I never gave it another thought until I heard my neighbors horses gettin stirred up. I lit a cigarette and squatted down with my back to the tree. I was there about 3 to 4 minutes when I made out two shadows stalking across that pond dam. I figure I just happened to be in the right place at the right moment. Had I been moving around I might have never seen them.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

I was Deer Hunting earlier this evening and saw 2 nice Coyotes......Wanted to take a shot but it was about 40-50 yards.....Would of probably just wasted an arrow.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Space Cowboy I sent you a pm.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”