Anyone been COYOTE hunting yet?

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Re: Anyone been COYOTE hunting yet?

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

beaverlover wrote:I was Deer Hunting earlier this evening and saw 2 nice Coyotes......Wanted to take a shot but it was about 40-50 yards.....Would of probably just wasted an arrow.

Thats why I always take a rifle when I go deer hunting this time of year witha bow! I have had a few chances a few years ago at coyote that were about 60 yards away but I just had my bow...

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

BRUTUS IS A BEAST wrote:oh so what type land are you hunting on? like wood land, pasture land, field crop land, river beds or what?

The river bottoms along the Little Scioto river are great. Coyotes seem to use the banks all over the river to den up in.

Old strip mine land that is fairly open with tree lines is also a great place to call from.

For some reason I see more coyotes along creeks, in corn field edges, etc. When calling, try to get an opening in between you and where you think the coyotes will come in from so you can get a clean shot. Also try to get up to a vantage point over the clearing. Its easier to see them, harder for them to see you.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

I know there are alot of them in the strip mines and when i called there I have heard alot respond to my howls but they seem to be alot hader to call in at te strip mines then the other places I go. I have never called one in yet in the mines but I always do hear them like crazy! I have called in fox in the mines though but cant figure out why I can call in one predator and not the other.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

BRUTUS IS A BEAST wrote:I know there are alot of them in the strip mines and when i called there I have heard alot respond to my howls but they seem to be alot hader to call in at te strip mines then the other places I go. I have never called one in yet in the mines but I always do hear them like crazy! I have called in fox in the mines though but cant figure out why I can call in one predator and not the other.

When they dont respond to cottontail in distress, howls, etc.... try the fox pup call.

We were killing them like crazy in the Bellville mines....they got hard to call. Bring out the fox pup and watch them come in.

This weekend would be a great time to give it a shot. Snow covered ground makes it easy to spot them.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Well I have tried every call that have and that consist of baby cottontail, juvenial cottontail, deperate cottontail, kid goat distress, coyote/grey fox fight, distresed rodent, pleading chicken, fawn bleating, gobbler distress, red shafted flicker, distressed housecat, coyote pup distress, coyote/raccoon fight, coywolf barks/howls, coyote howls, coyote pups, lamb distress, fawn distress, baby pig distress feline distress, rabbit distress, baby bird distress, rodent squeaks, grey fox pup distress and I think that is it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh and distessed baby raccoons haha

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

BRUTUS IS A BEAST wrote:Well I have tried every call that have and that consist of baby cottontail, juvenial cottontail, deperate cottontail, kid goat distress, coyote/grey fox fight, distresed rodent,pleading chicken, fawn bleating, gobbler distress, red shafted flicker, distressed housecat, coyote pup distress, coyote/raccoon fight, coywolf barks/howls, coyote howls, coyote pups, lamb distress, fawn distress, baby pig distress feline distress, rabbit distress, baby bird distress, rodent squeaks, grey fox pup distress and I think that is it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh and distessed baby raccoons haha

What the heck is a "pleading chicken" ? Does that sound something like a BIGGDOWGG ?

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

haha well idk how he sounds unless you are refurring to it soundin crazy like he does sometimes lol, if its that then yes because I have neve heard anything before that souds anything like it!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

:aaaaa35

rosemount rebel
Freshman Team

Post by rosemount rebel »

GREAT STUFF. THERE ARE ALOT OF COYOTES IN THE RIVER BOTTOMS IN ROSEMOUNT. I DON'T HUNT THEM BUT MIGHT START.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

What do you do with them once you kill them? do you eat them?

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

^^^^ :122246 i really hope not nobody is THAT hungry......

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Well a coyote is part of the dog family so it would just be like you eating one of the dogs around :evil: :twisted: I dont think I will ever try going that far haha... All I know that people do with them is sell them for there fur but I know that coyotes stink more then anything else that you take fur off of :lol: :lol: :lol:

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I really didn't know. The fur is sold though?

You know, I hope that, if they have to be thinned out, it's mostly hunters. The traps worry me when I'm walking my dog through the woods in the winter

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

hammerdown wrote:we always disposed of them over in a hollow. with all the diseases they supposedly carry i wouldn't skin one out for it. they are nasty critters.

well the at vinton fur you dont have to take them skinned out and i would think that is how all fur shops are... I always take the full animal in to the fur shop and they skin it out there selves! You get paid more if you take it in skinned out but i dont think it is worth the hassle and i dont have the equipment that they use that is designed for it either!

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

well the at vinton fur you dont have to take them skinned out and i would think that is how all fur shops are... I always take the full animal in to the fur shop and they skin it out there selves! You get paid more if you take it in skinned out but i dont think it is worth the hassle and i dont have the equipment that they use that is designed for it either!

How much do they pay for one skinned, verses unskinned???

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

kantuckyII wrote:What do you do with them once you kill them? do you eat them?

Throw them over the hill ;-)

They are expensive to get mounted ($450+) and it runs around $75+ to have their hide tanned......althought they look really good, especially mounted, it is much cheaper to throw them away.

Most coyotes STINK and I am not too sure how a freshly tanned hide or mounted coyote would smell.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

well they have some skinning equipment that they use, idk what its called but I saw them skinning a fox when I was selling my stuff to them and they were using something that I didnt have ;-)

And OZZY I cant give you an answer right now to that question but I will call Vinton Fur tomorrow and get back at you with that answer when I can, but I do know that they pay more for it already skinned!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

who and where buys coyotes?

I may have something for them this weekend.

Strikeout
Riding the Bench

Post by Strikeout »

I took my fox hides up to vinton fur last week and he said he did not even want any coyotes. He said he had several hundred that he would sale very very cheap. So you may want to call before you drive there.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

yeah last year he told me that he didnt want any coyotes because they took to much work for the little amount of money that they are worth... But I have a connection now so I think I can still sell them there now :-D

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”