question about minnow trap.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

question about minnow trap.

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

in lake white i've been setting a couple minnow traps. just the standard ones you clip to gether, and put like a hamburger bun in or some dog food. my question is if i set it for a short amount of time. i can usually catch some small shad, baby bluegills, minnows and occasional chub.i'm not putting it in the creek , just in the bay area. but if i set it late at night, by the time i can check it in the morning, all the buns, dog food, etc. are gone ,no bait. am i getting cleaned out by water snakes. 1 maybe 2 shad.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: question about minnow trap.

in the past i only let them set for maybe a half hour , n did alright. but that was in a moving creek. but back at kitts hill, i could set the trap, leave it overnight. and sometimes have 2/3 dozen.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Leave it to long and they find there way out.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I was always told you use the glass traps in a lake/still water and the basket in the creeks

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Put a couple small chunks of styrofoam in with it, After Your bread is Gone , the foam will keep them coming into the trap

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

thanks fellers. and k2. i never heard of a glass trap , you gotta link to one. never saw one before.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

enforcer, are you talking bout like the styrofoam peanuts or just chunks of foam. great stuff here.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Ive never used the Peanuts, but I bet they would work too

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

thanks.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

used to try and trap minnows, but had better luck trappin muskrat and beaver.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

kantuckyII wrote:I was always told you use the glass traps in a lake/still water and the basket in the creeks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------i know standard minnow traps were made for current. but i swear to you, i've never saw one of these before. the glass ones. not on bass pro, cabela's anywhere.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

REALLY? I would say though, someone could probably make one with a 2 liter bottle. Heck, it wouldn't cost anything to try. Just melt or drill a hole in it..put a few rocks for sinking it and put some bread in there.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

Wouldn't they shy away from the MOUNTAIN DEW label on the bottle?

Seriously, my Dad and his friends used to make glass minnow traps. They would just take a large drill (maybe 1 inch ? ) and drill a hole in the bottom of a large pickle jar or the like. I believe they put turpentine or something on the drill site to keep the bottle from breaking.
That was a LONG time ago. :)

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

thats very interesting boo.

bilco 2
Freshman Team

Post by bilco 2 »

you could maybe use one of those big water bottles they use for drinking water in offices.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

I had a mix-up and got TWO of these plastic jobbies for Christmas. They have everything you need to go with them, even some minnow bait. They seem really nice and I can't wait 'til spring to try them out.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

where did you order it from, any info.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

We used to use the nets too. You'd just lower it down, smeared with dough paste and they'd start eating it and when there were enough, you'd just lift it up and have them. You could only do that a couple times though and the rest in the area wouldn't come to your trap.

I have found, most of them creek minners don't do too well compared to the silver shinners the bait store sells. My son and I used to slay the fish down at the Greenup Dam down by the beach in early March or late Feb (if we could get on the river) with a ball head jig with a shinner hooked on the end of it. Just working it on the bottom like a jig. However, when the water got over 50 degrees, you'd get a lot more bites on plastic trailers

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Wished you all could have seen those commercial fishermen down on Lake Guntersville this past November working their trot lines. Man, that one was pulling up so many catfish it was unreal. I talked to him that evening on the ramp and his boat stank so badly that I couldn't get within 10' of it as it had old shad and tons of thrashing catfish in it. He'd go home, where his whole family would join in and start cleaning them. He'd drive the 50 or 60 mile trip to Chattanooga every other day to take his fish to the market. He told me that he was able to support his family just doing that and make a pretty decent living at that but..he worked a LOT of hours and as he said, if you don't like doing it, you'd never make it. He fishes on the lake 12 months out of the year..even when it's bitter bitter cold out.

Image minnow net

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

trot lines maybe, not with this contraption, known to fall apart. if you do a little doctorin to this rig, it's great , put some hog feed on it , wait 10/15 minutes then pull up real fast, works great with a bait castin net as well.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”