Grouse Hunting

gtowntiger78
Riding the Bench

Grouse Hunting

Post by gtowntiger78 »

Anybody finding any birds yet?

I went to Wisconsin last month and had a great hunt for 3 days. Jumped alot of birds and bagged 3 grouse & 1 woodie. Planning on going back next year. Have only been out 1 time this year near home, no birds yet. Want to try down around Shawnee forest soon.

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Re: Grouse Hunting

Post by ChessyFan09 »

Best of luck to you finding birds.I'm afraid this time they are gone for good in any real numbers.There's really not many places left to hunt them partly due to deer leases and partly due to lack of habitat. A few years after the last really good year of 83-84 many of us began imploring the state to investigate why the numbers were so bad and were met by deaf ears . Now all of a sudden the state has decided that cutting the limit and eliminating February is the answer.For 25 years I've heard all the excuses ranging from coyotes and hawks to turkeys to low cycles to wet ,colds,springs.I believe most of these have some merit but the failure of the state to step in and investigate and fix the problems was the biggest one of all. In Ohio if it isn't a deer or a turkey it doesn't matter.To all you guys out there who still have grouse in decent numbers ,please cherish them and savor the experience not the numbers of birds in the bag. There is no other hunting like it .

gtowntiger78
Riding the Bench

Post by gtowntiger78 »

Well said. The state is actually trying to do some habitat improvement projects, but it may be too late. I wouldn't care about shooting any, I just love watching the dogs work and making the point on a grouse.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

ChessyFan09 wrote: There is no other hunting like it .

I agree. It was always my favorite.... but unfortunately it is a young mans sport. I really miss it.

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

No thunder chickens left!!!!
Last year 4 of us hunted hard all day and didn't get one flush :122247 :122247

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

I wonder if coyotes are most of the problem ?? There's plenty of habitat around where I live.... just no birds.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

BigOrangeOne wrote:I wonder if coyotes are most of the problem ?? There's plenty of habitat around where I live.... just no birds.

I seen a guy flying Ozzie a bird out the window of his car,as he drove by his house the other day

Sider95
Riding the Bench

Post by Sider95 »

I was really shocked the other day when I went behind my house and jumped 4 grouse. I haven't seen that many together for a long time. I kept jumping 2 while walking around turkey hunting last spring. I don't even want to take a shot at them hoping they will multiply. That may just be wishful thinking though.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”