First kill of the Season

Baz55
Riding the Bench

First kill of the Season

Post by Baz55 »

After being out almost everyday of the season.... I finally connected on this nice doe. She was browsing her way through a persimmon patch when she stopped at 43 yards and gave me a shot. I have seen several deer this season, but this is the first to come within effective shooting range and give me a shot :D

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: First kill of the Season

Post by Bleeding Red »

Good doe! Glad to see you connect on one!

Keep climbing in the stand...if the weather doesnt hit a hot spell the bigger bucks will be staying on their feet alot more during daylight hours and you will connect on one!

love4thegame
Waterboy

Post by love4thegame »

Bazz nice kill. WOW 43 yds good shot!!! I went out this morning and seen a doe and a spike but not a whole of deer movment, they came by about 1045am.

Baz55
Riding the Bench

Post by Baz55 »

Yeah, my problem is the biggest buck i have gotten on trail cam, or seen is about 125 inches :( I just have not been able to find a big buck... or even seen a buck for that matter...all season.. just gotta stay out there...

Bleeding Red...you been having better luck in the morning or evenings?

43 yards is usually tough to get this early in the year, but when you are hunting persimmons you can see forever because they dont have any branches :D I practice up to 70 yards, try to limit my shots on whitetail to 40 yards..

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Baz55 wrote:Yeah, my problem is the biggest buck i have gotten on trail cam, or seen is about 125 inches :( I just have not been able to find a big buck... or even seen a buck for that matter...all season.. just gotta stay out there...

Bleeding Red...you been having better luck in the morning or evenings?

43 yards is usually tough to get this early in the year, but when you are hunting persimmons you can see forever because they dont have any branches :D I practice up to 70 yards, try to limit my shots on whitetail to 40 yards..

Seems like the bigger bucks are moving more during daylight hours in the evenings. And it is only the last 15-20 minutes of shooting light. You may have to move in closer to their bedding areas if you know where that is, because if you are hunting to far away from the bedding areas they are not going to get to you till after dark.

Keep track of where the does are at, cause when the does start coming in and the rut kicks off, the bucks will be moving more during the day and will stay really close to those does waiting on them to be ready to be bred. But that doesnt really help you for the next 3 weeks or so!

How big is the area that you are hunting? How many acres?

I also think that the moon phases determine if deer in general are moving more at first light in the morning, or last light in the evenings. Full moons also get the deer to move during the daylight hours. It is cool enough now to sleep in and hunt food sources close to your bedding areas (like the persimmons) from 11-3 in the afternoon. You may want to try and sleep in late and hunt an afternoon and see what that brings.

If it were easy, everyone would be out killing wall hangers! :)

Baz55
Riding the Bench

Post by Baz55 »

Most of the land i hunt is public. I really dont have any private access thats worth hunting. I hunt alot in the Crown City Mines, and Dean State Forest area.
I think most of the deer i have been seeing have been after 9am in the morning.... like i said before it's ALAWAYS does...lol... the next three weeks just cant go by quick enough!!
I may try to hunt the persimmons tomorrow evening and see how that turns out.
I know if it was easy everyones wall would be filled up... thats why i love it so much :D Its not killin' its huntin' lol :-D

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”