Does anyone squirrel hunt??

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Does anyone squirrel hunt??

Post by bigtimehitter »

I love squirrel huntin but I think its a dying thing? Im askin cause I have a few spots, but was wondering if anyone knew anyone wanted to have some squirrles ridded off :122245

The Enforcer
SEO

Re: Does anyone squirrel hunt??

Post by The Enforcer »

I do, And Ive gotten my 8 year old daughter into it , She killed 1 last year and 3 already this year , And I agree that its a dying sport and the squirrel population is getting out of hand Quickly!!!!

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

I've squirrel hunted my whole life but can't stand the heat this time of year any more.
I took my wife for the first time a couple of years ago and she got 6 the 1st morning out. She uses a 16 ga. Remington 1100.
I used to use # 6 shot all the time and would go down to 5's or 4's as the squirrels coat and hide got thicker as it got colder. I always seemed to wound a lot of squirrels and they would hit the ground running.
Then one day after they increased the season up to where it went 'til January (when I was a kid it always came in on Sept. 15th and went out in mid Oct. .. I think) I was out grouse hunting with some friends in November and using #7 1/2 shot and happened to run across a couple of squirrels that day and shot them with the 7 1/2s and killed them deader than 4 o'clock. They didn't even quiver after they hit the ground. Been using 7 1/2s for squirrels ever since..... with VERY few crippled squirrels. And 7 1/2s don't push the hair into the meat either like #4s frequently do.
I use a model 42 Winchester .410 pump for squirrels. Can't see well enough and too shaky to use a .22 any more.

I still have my hunting licenses from back in 1949... didn't have to have them before then. :lol:

Shazbot
Freshman Team

Post by Shazbot »

As I've gotten older I've found I enjoy squirrel hunting more and deer less. There are fewer people in the woods, more than enough game and the weather is more to my liking.
My caliber of choice over the last 20 years is my .22. I like to hunt hit or miss. One shot per squirrel (unless it happened to be a bad hit) and move on.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

Shazbot wrote:As I've gotten older I've found I enjoy squirrel hunting more and deer less. There are fewer people in the woods, more than enough game and the weather is more to my liking.
My caliber of choice over the last 20 years is my .22. I like to hunt hit or miss. One shot per squirrel (unless it happened to be a bad hit) and move on.

What kind of .22 do you use?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

BOO wrote
I've squirrel hunted my whole life but can't stand the heat this time of year any more.
I took my wife for the first time a couple of years ago and she got 6 the 1st morning out. She uses a 16 ga. Remington 1100.
I used to use # 6 shot all the time and would go down to 5's or 4's as the squirrels coat and hide got thicker as it got colder. I always seemed to wound a lot of squirrels and they would hit the ground running.
Then one day after they increased the season up to where it went 'til January (when I was a kid it always came in on Sept. 15th and went out in mid Oct. .. I think) I was out grouse hunting with some friends in November and using #7 1/2 shot and happened to run across a couple of squirrels that day and shot them with the 7 1/2s and killed them deader than 4 o'clock. They didn't even quiver after they hit the ground. Been using 7 1/2s for squirrels ever since..... with VERY few crippled squirrels. And 7 1/2s don't push the hair into the meat either like #4s frequently do.
I use a model 42 Winchester .410 pump for squirrels. Can't see well enough and too shaky to use a .22 any more.

I still have my hunting licenses from back in 1949... didn't have to have them before then.

Maybe you need some thicker glasses. :lol: :lol:

And I still say your going to get checked one of these days and them old license you have are going to get you in hot water. :lol: :lol:

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:
Maybe you need some thicker glasses. :lol: :lol:

LOL... That was 50 years ago and I didn't wear glasses then.

And I still say your going to get checked one of these days and them old license you have are going to get you in hot water. :lol: :lol:

Heck, the ODNR would probably give me $500 for those licenses. I have them from 1949 up through the time they quit making the kind you wear on your back.
:-D

Shazbot
Freshman Team

Post by Shazbot »

BigOrangeOne - it's a scoped golden 39A manufactured by Marlin...lever action. I bought it around 1985 give or take a couple of years either way.

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

I reallyt dont like going this early in the year. I'm always afraid of worbles(sp), so i try to go for the first time in the se son when we have bout 3 nights in a row of 40 or below, and plus the trees are still thick and full. :122245

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I dont go this time of year because chiggers are so bad anymore. My son got two the first day, And my other one missed.

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

A friend of mine lives and dies for squirrel hunting. He is training 2 Norwegian Elk hounds to hunt with right now.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Bassmaster wrote:A friend of mine lives and dies for squirrel hunting. He is training 2 Norwegian Elk hounds to hunt with right now.

How does he get em to hold the gun?

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

Space Cowboy wrote:
Bassmaster wrote:A friend of mine lives and dies for squirrel hunting. He is training 2 Norwegian Elk hounds to hunt with right now.

How does he get em to hold the gun?

He uses a little gun mounted doggie tri-pod. ;-)

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

I havnt been out yet because im just going to wait until i can cut up and eat everything that i kill. I usually kill like 5 in a couple hours at my house and the red squirrels are huge here too! I think I could just eat 1 of them and it be a full meal ;-)

thirtytrap
Freshman Team

Post by thirtytrap »

I love to squirrel hunt. My gun of choice is my trusty Marlin model 25.

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

I am about ready to start hunting the ground squirrels. They are stealing all of the corn from my deer feeder. :evil:

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:I dont go this time of year because chiggers are so bad anymore. My son got two the first day, And my other one missed.

So OZZ what is the limit on chiggers & how do you cook em??????

I know you're used to cookin small things as I've seen them fish you catch :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”