It Wasn't All Bad

RHBand77
Freshman Team

Post by RHBand77 »

thought so but I figured I might be wrong.lol.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I'm not Jewish either ----but this is what the article said

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

A family of six was rescured from their recreational vehickle after being stranded 17 days in the mountains.Pete Stivers and his wife,Marlo, their two children,and Stivers' mother and stepfather were on a trip to Oregon coast when they got stuck in 4 feet of snow,at an altitude of 3,800 feet.Unable to reach anyone by cell phone and running low on provisions, the family learned over the radio that search teams had been called off.So they dispatched Pete and Marlo to find help,which they did the next day. They were in pretty good shape for being out there as long as they had,said a policeman.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Trista Wright was helping to gut a house outside New orleans that had been abandoned after Hurricane Katrina ,when she noticed a piece of green paper poking from the rubble.It was a $100 bill,and as Wright dug down farther,she found more than $30,000 in cash.She contacted the sheriffs office;authorities then located the homeowners,who suspects that her father had stashed it as insurance against hard times.She said it was a miracle,said Warren Jones Jr. a local pastor. When you think about it ,it was.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Four hundred of Arthur Winston's co-workers at the Los Angeles Metropolotan Transportation Authority threw him a retirement party lastweek,and he earned it.After 76 years on the job Winston was stepping down-on his 100th birthday.Starting as a trolley-car cleaner,Winston eventually oversaw a bus-cleaning crew.Throughout his career,Winston missed only one day on the job -when his wife died,in 1988.President Bush,Gov Arnold Schwarzenegger,and Sens Diane Feinstein and Barbara Boxer all issued proclamations,and the bus yard where Winston workrd was officially named for him.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

The remains of a U.S. airman missing since World War II have been identified.Leo M. Mustonen was 22 when his training flight disappeared on Nov. 18.1942,after taking off from Mather Field near Sacramento.Parts of the plane were later found in the Sierra Nevada Mountains,and authorities erected a memorial to the four-man crew .Then,last October,hikers discovered a faceless body wearing an unopened parachute pack,and DNA analysis determined that it was Mustonen.He was cremated and buried last week in his hometown of Brainerd,Minn. Marine Col.Claude Davis III said the military had fulfilled its most solemn promise to its personnel: We're going to make sure they get home again.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

While visiting Mount St. Mary's University in Emmitsburg Md., Debbie Squiccimarri accidentally flushed her $20,000 diamond engagement ring down the toilet.Alerted to the mishap,campus plumber Ronnie Bledsoe tore apart the toilet and adjoining pipes and rooted around the university's sewage treatment plant,to no envisioning the path the ring might have taken through a series of drains,ledges,and conduits.A month after Squiccimarri lost the ring,Bledsoe opened a manhole cover 250 yards from the toilet--and there it was.This is just one of those things plumbers understand, he said.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

For the first time in their countrys history,women in Kuwait this week ran for offices and exercised the right to vote.Although turnout was light,and women were required to use separate voying booths,two women were among eight candidates for a seat on the municipal council of the Salmiya district,near Kuwait City.One of them came in second.Next year,women will vote in full legisltive election." We have to prove we are worth the support we got," said 40-year-old civil servant Amal Hamad,who cast her vote for one of the female canidates."This is just the brginning."

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

A wealthy Toronto woman,Shahla Ghannadian,was in Sausalito,California,for her daughter's wedding last week.While doing some sightseeing,she entrusted her Louis Vuitton handbag,filled with her most valuable jewelry,to her husband,who apparently left it on a park bench.Not long afterwards,John Suhrhoff,a physical,therapist from San Rafael, came across the bag,which contained a Cartier watch,diamond and ruby rings,pearl earrings,and diamond necklaces a treasure trove worth more than $1 million.He promptly turned it over to the police,who gave it back to Ghannadian."There's nothing heroic,Said Suhrhoff,"It's just basic"

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

When Arthur Jones,now 80 got separated from his British army unit after D-Day in 1944, the Steffens family near Lille, France,risked Nazi reprisals to harbor him for five weeks. Jones became smitten with their 22-year old daughter,Marie Henriette,but returned to Britain after the war and married.When his wife died two years ago, Jones resolved to find his lost sweetheart.Last month he did,and discovered she was still single.Now he is actively courting her."I've found her ,and I am on cloud nine,"he said."As soon as I saw her again,there was an instant Chemistry."

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

RHBand77 wrote:
noreply66 wrote:thirteen-year-old Marcy Marbut was all ready for her bat mitzvah at Temple Emanuel in Manhattan.Then,just four days before the ceremony ,her appendix ruptured and she developed an acute abdominal infection.She was rushed into energency surgery.But on the appointed day,Marcy celebrated with 100 guest at Lenox Hill hospital."the show had to go on," said Marcy from her wheelchair." I was looking forward to this day my whole life . It ended up being better."

This may be a dumb question but I though that bar mitzvahs were celebrated by Jewish BOYS.Or that is what I have always been told anyway. :?

BAT Mitzvah is the ceremony for girls.

RHBand77
Freshman Team

Post by RHBand77 »

Oh.Ok.I just thought something was misspelled or something.Thanks for clearing it up.I didnt know.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

You're welcome, RHBand77. Now, since you're on this forum, please take a look at my "Cookbook" thread. Is the "77" the year you graduated, by chance?

RHBand77
Freshman Team

Post by RHBand77 »

No.77 is was my marching band # this past year.It was a random # also.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

OK - I just thought that number might indicate a year in the same general time-frame as the book I mentioned.

RHBand77
Freshman Team

Post by RHBand77 »

No.Sorry.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

A team of explorers led by British millionaire Neil McGrigor has apparently found the true source of the Nile.The group,which included New Zealanders Cam McLeay and Garth MacIntyre,is the first to travel the entire 4,163-mile length of the river,from the Nile Delta in Egypt to its source-not Lake Victoria,as was once thought,but deep in the Nyungwe Forest in Rwanda.The explorers endured ferocious rapids,crocodile attacks,and an ambush by Ugandan gunman."It's been the hardest,longest,and most arduous expedition Ive ever done. said McGrigor,"but we are absolutely elated."

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Cheeta,the clever chimp who starred with Johnny Weissmuller and Maureen O'Sullivan in a dozen Tarzan movies,has celebrated his 74th birthday.That puts him in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's oldest chimpanzee. Cheeta debuted in Tarzan and His Mate in 1934;he's been retired since 1967,when he appeared alongside Rex Harrison in Doctor Dolittle.Now diabetic but still with all his teeth,Cheeta lives in Palm Springs,California,with other former showbiz simians;he spends his days painting and drinking the occasional Diet Coke.On his birthday,his caretakers gave him a sugar-free cake and a delegation of film buffs presented him with the international Comedy Film Festivl of Pensacola Prize--his first award.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

A British railway engeneer has set a record for the world's longest surf ride by catching a wave that took him 7.6 miles.Steve King,41, rode the Seven Bore-a tidal surge along an estuary near Gloucester-for one hour and 17 minutes.He was the last man standing among 1,000 surfers,some of whom had come to ride the Bore from as far away as Australia and Hawaii."I didn't think the conditions were that good,"said King."But I had been going for a distance,hadn't fallen off,and the wave still hadn't broken,and I thought,Hang on .

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

No longer must Yupik and Inupiat Eskimos living in remote parts of Alaska content themselves solely with their daily fare of whale,walrus and seal.They now enjoy fresh-baked pizza,flown in regularly.When Airport Pizza opened recently in Nome,the intrastate airline Frontier Flying Service volunteered to fly its pies to customers for free as part of its regular schedule.Normally,delivery of even a few pies would cost villagers $25."our success is directly tied to the success of the communities we serve,"said Frontier's general manager,Graig Kenmouth."And it's a fun thing to do.

Return to “Games, Birthdays, Welcomes, Trivia & More”