It Wasn't All Bad

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

It Wasn't All Bad

Post by noreply66 »

Herman Roseblat never had the chance to make his bar mitzvah.When he was 13,he was imprisoned in a Nazi concentration camp,just trying to stay alive.But last week,the 76-year-old Rosenblat celebrated the traditional Jewish coming-of-age ritual at a temple in Minsola,N.Y. Among the guests was Roma,his wife of 48 years, whom he met briefly while in the camp and then again on a blind date years after their liberation."It shows how the hand of God is with a person throughout the toughest times,"said Rabbi Anchelle Peri,who led the ceremony.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

With his victory this weekend in the men's 1,000-meter speed skating competition,American Shani Davis has become the first black man to win an individual gold medal in the 82-year history of the winter olympics.Davis jumped to a good early pace,never broke stride,and finished strong.His father,Reginald Shuck,said Davis had been determined to win ever since he took up the sport at the age of 6 in an African-American neighborhood in Chicago. Nobody beleived in his ability to do well in the sport,Shuck said. People didn't take him seriously. The gold medal,he said,was vinication for him.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

After an eight-year-legal battle,a Spanish court has finally taken a living woman off her country's death register.Maria Antonia Calvo,43 thinks that her brother declared her legally dead in 1992 so that he could gain complete access to their father's inheritance.Despite Calvo's insistence that she was still alive, the government bureaucracy refused to change the paperwork.Her fiance,Antonio Guzman,was especially upset.When he asked me to marry him,I said,I love you a lot,but I can't because I'm dead.The couple will now wed in the spring.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

In 1865, Abraham Lincoln signed 13 handwritten copies of the 13th Amendment to the Constitution,which ended slavery. Eleven of them are housed in museums and libraries.But two are in private hands ,and now ,for the first time,one of them is touring the country,attracting historians and schoolchildren alike. Having already traved to Chicago,Dallas and Washington,D.C. the document is due in Atlanta and then Raleigh,N.C. before auctioned off March 30.It reminds me of what the country was 141 years ago,said historian Edna Greene Medford,but it also reminds me of what the country can become.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Twenty-five years after her death,Effa Manley has become the first woman elected to the Nationl Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown,N.Y. The co-owner,with her husband,of the Newark Eagles of the old Negro League,Manley, who was white,was known for using baseball to help advance civil rights. She fought for better pay for players,created such events as Anti-Lynching Day at her ballpark,and pushed for Major League baseball to sign up blacks after Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in 1947."She was a pioneer in so many ways," said historian Leslie Heaphy,a member of the nominating committee.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

noreplay i wish i was as smart as you :lol:

but i do usually enjoy reading ur post

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

It doesn't take a lot of smarts to pick things out of a book or paper to put in here. (need to do something to get through the hours of each day.)

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

thirteen-year-old Marcy Marbut was all ready for her bat mitzvah at Temple Emanuel in Manhattan.Then,just four days before the ceremony ,her appendix ruptured and she developed an acute abdominal infection.She was rushed into energency surgery.But on the appointed day,Marcy celebrated with 100 guest at Lenox Hill hospital."the show had to go on," said Marcy from her wheelchair." I was looking forward to this day my whole life . It ended up being better."

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

try knitting, i know you can use your fingers. :lol:

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

knitting knitting --finished next

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Howard Scott of Lacey,Wash. opened his 87th-birthday present from his grandson and got the surprise of his life.it was a handcrafted violin that he had begun making in prison during World War II,when he was jailed as a conscientious objector.He had used wood from the prison grounds,discarded metal frafments,and instructions and tracings that his wife sent him.After his release,he tucked the uncompleted violin away.In 2004,his grandson took the fragments to a woodworker,Jess Fox,and ask her to finsh the job."It's a beautiful piece of work,"said Fox of Scott's instrument. "It sounds better than anyone expected.

westbrook18
All State

Post by westbrook18 »

Dang, I'd be surprised too

Marietta Freshman 7-2!!
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Ever since its founding,in 1962,Trinity University,a Christian institution in Langley,British Columbia,has a strict no-dancing rule.That rankled Cameron Dunkin,a transfer student .So he got together with some like-minded classmates and,after much haggling with the administration,they were given permission to stage Trinity's first-ever dance.Eighty students showed up at the alcohol-free event and boogied to songs from the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack to I'm too Sexy, I never thought it would happen ,said alumna Cathy Byron.We would dance in our dorm rooms anyway,just wishing we could have something like this.

westbrook18
All State

Post by westbrook18 »

Wow, talk about a dumb rule.

Marietta Freshman 7-2!!
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Back in the early 1990s,criminologists and law-enfordement authorities were predicting an explosion in teenage felonies.The number of violent crimes committed by youthful offenders,then Attornry General janet Reno warned,could soon double.The experts were wrong.The U.S. is now experiencing its sharpest decline in teenage crime since the 1960s.Arrest rates for aggravated assault,robbery,and rape have fallen by a third among children ages 10 to 18. Juvenile homicide arrests are down to fewer than 1000 annually,from a high of 3,800.Authorities say more aggressive policing and the decline of crack cocaine are the chief factors behind the drop.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Eleven million years after seeminly becoming extinct,the Laotian rock rat has been rediscovered.The chipmunk-size,brush-tailed rodent,called the "kha-nyou" by locals,was previously known only from fossils.Now fresh carcasses brought in by hunters indicated that the species has in fact survived.Scientist hope to capture a living,breathing rock rat soon."it shows you it's well worth looking around in this world still ," said naturalist George Schaller,"to see what's out there."

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

While on a school field trip to Orlando,14 year-old Michael Sobalvarro of Silver Spring,MD.,took a dip in a hotel pool.Michael, who can't swim
,somehow floated into the deep end,lost his bearings,and began to drown.But his classmate Mark Berry.13, remembered his Boy Scout rescue training .Mark,a veteran swimmer,dove down,grabbed Michael,and brought him to the surface,where an adult revived him with CPR.Michael and Mark weren't friends before the incident, But now,when they see each other in the hall,they talk or shake hands.Mark says he hopes to work as a lifeguard this summer.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

During spring break ,college kids typically think about sun,booze and sex.But 38 Univisity of Minnesota students boarded a charter bus and spent their week doing good deeds in five states.In South Bend,Ind.they worked at a food bank;in Lancaster,Ohio they restore a covered bridge.Then it was off to Pennsylvania to spure a trails at Black Moshannon State Park,and on to Cambridge,Mass where they volunteered at a homeless shelter.Their tour ended in New York City,where they repaired apartments for low-income families."It's a way to step out of your comfort zone." said Rebecca Agnitsch,20,"and tp pay it forward.

RHBand77
Freshman Team

Post by RHBand77 »

noreply66 wrote:thirteen-year-old Marcy Marbut was all ready for her bat mitzvah at Temple Emanuel in Manhattan.Then,just four days before the ceremony ,her appendix ruptured and she developed an acute abdominal infection.She was rushed into energency surgery.But on the appointed day,Marcy celebrated with 100 guest at Lenox Hill hospital."the show had to go on," said Marcy from her wheelchair." I was looking forward to this day my whole life . It ended up being better."

This may be a dumb question but I though that bar mitzvahs were celebrated by Jewish BOYS.Or that is what I have always been told anyway. :?

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

i believe so

Return to “Games, Birthdays, Welcomes, Trivia & More”