Hurricane Katrina...17 years ago

General Chat
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Hurricane Katrina...17 years ago

Post by OHHS old timer »

For the 1, 836 people who perished and their families...

This past Monday, 29 August 2005, Katrina paid a visit to New Orleans and Mississippi (along the Pearl river). At its height...max sustained wind speed was 175 mph.

We all remember the pictures. The interviews...the total devastation. Anyone and everyone..including several countries rendered assistance.

17 years later...are they better off? With that being said...10 October will be the 4th anniversary of Michael for all of us here. Are we better off?

To both questions....I simply answer, "I hope and pray so".

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
coop
SEOPS

Re: Hurricane Katrina...17 years ago

Post by coop »

This event holds a special place in my heart. I was stationed in New Orleans (my first duty station) and I have seen it all....the way that city has bounced back has been amazing. The most resilient group of people you'll ever meet.

I would say they are better off...I go yearly to visit on a golf trip and to see old friends, and to me..the city gets better and better. It's on my list of retirement destinations.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

coop wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:08 am This event holds a special place in my heart. I was stationed in New Orleans (my first duty station) and I have seen it all....the way that city has bounced back has been amazing. The most resilient group of people you'll ever meet.

I would say they are better off...I go yearly to visit on a golf trip and to see old friends, and to me..the city gets better and better. It's on my list of retirement destinations.
You were at NAS New Orleans? Cool...heard it was kinda laid back just like the Big Easy itself . The USAF kept sending me to NW Fla or Germany.

I was in N'Orleans earlier for the Jazz and Heritage festival. Had a good time as always...and watching John Lee Hooker/Jimmy Buffett.

We have alot things left to do here...post Micheal . Housing is getting better. I think there are just a few (10 at most) houses to be demolished. Elementary schools got upgrades and one was rebuilt...from previous occupant of WH. Wuhan Covid sucked..getting much better now.

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Yep I was at the F18 squadron there.

Return to “The Off season”