Pro Football's emphasis on anti-taunting

General Chat
robycop3
All State

Pro Football's emphasis on anti-taunting

Post by robycop3 »

HI, guys & gals-ya haven't heard from me for awhile, but I've been pretty busy after I retired Jan 1 this year.

I believe the league officials have gone overboard-for example, flagging a cornerback who, after breaking up a pass attempt with an outstanding play, gave the "incomplete" signal; another was flagged for spinning the ball after a score. none of those were a show of disrespect for an opponjent.

To me, a taunt would be saying something out of the way to an opponent after making a good play against him, waving the ball in an opponent's face after a good run, catch, interception, or fumble recovery, or a score, sticking one's tongue out at an opponent, giving him the bird, or other obvious shows of disrespect.

Such rules should be based upon the WISHES OF THE FANS! After all, THEY provide the money that supports all levels of football. The big-time sponsors of pro ball wouldn't fork over money if the fans weren't there to see their commercials & buy their products. PRO FOOTBALL IS FAN-DRIVEN!

Were the fans consulted before this silliness was enacted? NEWP!

As for brawls-the league has harsh penalties for starting a fight, which should be adequate. Football is a rough game, & shoving matches & harsh word exchanges should be expected. But a player who starts a fight over a taunt shows lack of self-control, & self-control is essential for good football playing.

We should petition the NFL by email or paper letters to revise the taunting rule to what it was before !

YOUR opinions, please?

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Pro Football's emphasis on anti-taunting

Post by Omega »

I am of the opinion that taunting or behavior that fosters disrespect needs to be exorcised from all levels of football. I learned the game in a time that football was a game of stoicism and respect. One let their on the field play do the talking instead of antics. I found the NFL to be much more watchable when it was the No Fun League.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Omega wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:15 am I am of the opinion that taunting or behavior that fosters disrespect needs to be exorcised from all levels of football. I learned the game in a time that football was a game of stoicism and respect. One let their on the field play do the talking instead of antics. I found the NFL to be much more watchable when it was the No Fun League.
I liked the TD dance of Billy "White shoes" Johnson.

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I rarely ever see them enforce these rules. I remember 5 or 6 years ago they put out these strict conduct rules and notice they never flagged them when it did happen. I think they should be able to celebrate a little after a touchdown or turnover but to see it play after play gets really old. One that really gets on my nerves is that stupid first down signal they always give. Leave that one for the refs! :roll:

Return to “The Off season”