Your solution to all the missed school days?

General Chat
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Your solution to all the missed school days?

Post by Orange and Brown »

With all the days missed to weather in Ohio this year it has sparked some debate as to how to fix this. I know next year they will count hours instead of days but I have a couple ideas.

1. Why not add 15 days to the end of the school year and then subtract the days you didn't use and get out of school that much earlier. I know some school districts in other states do this and it works very well.

2. Go to school year round. Have a fall and Spring break of 2 weeks each and have a month long break during Summer and Winter.

What do you guys think? Any ideas?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Your solution to all the missed school days?

Post by noreply66 »

Add an hour to each day starting next school year. That would give then in the area of a dozen days to work with.

The system will have to be scheduled where you see these days will be used. If not the kids get out early. If they use six days up that would give them 6 days earn.

I really do not remember having to make up the days if we missed a lot when I was in school. But i do remember walking to school when the snow was putting it down quick. We were tough in those day but not as much as mom and dad.

halfacent
Freshman Team

Post by halfacent »

The state allows schools three days to be given back via " Blizzard Packs". These are work put on-line for the kids to do at home via the computer. If the kids do this, then that snow day will not have to be made up. Good idea.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

noreply66 wrote:Add an hour to each day starting next school year. That would give then in the area of a dozen days to work with.

The system will have to be scheduled where you see these days will be used. If not the kids get out early. If they use six days up that would give them 6 days earn.

I really do not remember having to make up the days if we missed a lot when I was in school. But i do remember walking to school when the snow was putting it down quick. We were tough in those day but not as much as mom and dad.
Uphill both ways and barefoot!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

noreply66 wrote:Add an hour to each day starting next school year. That would give then in the area of a dozen days to work with.

Next year that might help because hours instead of days will be counted.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

This is an example of why the US lags behind other countries in science, technology, engineering and math. Year-round school is the best way to increase education. If you have the entire month of January off as a break period, that eliminates most of the snow day problem. I would even assign homework over breaks to at least have the kids doing something, if only reading books.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

NYBuckeye96 wrote:This is an example of why the US lags behind other countries in science, technology, engineering and math. Year-round school is the best way to increase education. If you have the entire month of January off as a break period, that eliminates most of the snow day problem. I would even assign homework over breaks to at least have the kids doing something, if only reading books.
I think it allows the schools and teachers more flexibility when it comes to the length of classes and the school day itself.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

Go 9 weeks, 3 week break , then 9 weeks, 3 week break, year round.

halfacent
Freshman Team

Post by halfacent »

I have no problem with that, and we would still get 6 weeks off in Summer.

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Post by grndma1 »

Orange and Brown wrote:

Uphill both ways and barefoot!
I remember telling my kids that I walked to grade school in waist deep snow and their comeback was- but Mom, you are short. Lol

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ..now that was funny

Return to “The Off season”