Will Catholics In Ohio decide this election?

General Chat
kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Will Catholics In Ohio decide this election?

Post by kantuckyII »

Ohio has a large Catholic population living in it. While i do not believe that voting for Obama will send someone to hell no more than I believe that voting for Romney will send them to heaven, I do believe that is intrinsically evil as the Bishop pointed out to support a politician with the policies of Barack Obama and his party hold.

So, do you believe this swing state will be decided by the consciences of the many Catholic voters in the state of Ohio?
Bishop Thomas John Paprocki from Springfield, Illinois, is getting attention after making some strongly-worded comments about those Americans who opt to vote for President Barack Obama in November. In a column and video that was posted by Catholic Times, the official newspaper of the Diocese of Springfield, Paprocki targeted portions of the Democratic platform that “explicitly endorse intrinsic evils.” He also warned that supporting certain politicians could place peoples’ “eternal salvation…in jeopardy.”

While he noted that it’s not his job to to tell people who do vote for, the faith leader said that he has a duty to speak out about moral issues. Despite his stated problems with the Democratic Party platform — the initial removal of God, its stance abortion and its support of gay marriage – Paprocki spoke relatively favorably of the Republican platform.

Photo Credit: Catholic Times
“I have read the Republican Party platform and there is nothing in it that supports or promotes an intrinsic evil or a serious sin,” he proclaimed.

While the bishop didn’t overtly name President Barack Obama as a poor candidate for people of faith to support, he invoked religious themes and warned of spiritual damnation if religious voters stand in support of politicians who “promote actions of behaviors that are intrinsically evil.”

“I am not telling you which party or which candidates to vote for or against. What I am saying is that you need to think and pray very carefully about your vote,” Paprocki said. “Because a vote for a candidate who promotes actions or behaviors that are intrinsically evil and gravely sinful makes you morally complicit and places the eternal salvation of your own soul in serious jeopardy.”

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Re: Will Catholics In Ohio decide this election?

Post by abuck76 »

Since 1972 the Republicans have controled everything and Roe has still been overturned.......These tired old tactics of trying to scare people has lost its effect.........Booga BOoga, it is Halloween after all........... :12224

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Oh the times they are a changin'! :122245 :122245

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Catholic ? As most polls show, Catholics are increasing against much of the church;s teachings -- birth control - most go against the teachings and use birth control. Abortion - yep major disagreement there too. In looking at the Catholic vote, there is no "edge" involved and I'd expect the vote to be near even split again. That tired old dog won't hunt and is poor propaganda, as usual.

But I'll betcha the auto workers and related auto parts workers are heavy for one candidate..................lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Well, which is it then? One minute you're saying that it's not going to matter, the next you all are saying that he is trying to control a woman's body. You are trying to claim that it does not matter, but I know for a fact that Obama has repealed at least two pieces of legislation that Bush put in place that controlled and restricted federal funding of abortion. So simply by putting Obama in office, we are now being forced to pay for something that we know is morally absolute wrong.

As Joe Biden pointed out when he looks into the camera during his debate with Ryan that there will be at least two new Supreme Court Justices that will be appointed by the next president. He said this within the content of abortion. They let it be known also that the reason the warning went out that Roe versus Wade could be repealed.

We also know that Mitt Romney has proposed defunding Planned Parenthood. An organization which has taken federal dollars and used them to provide abortion and abortion counseling.

So please, don't insult mine or anyone else's intelligence on here by saying it doesn't matter. You know darn good and well it does!

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

The Catholic vote will go to Obama. Wait and see.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Paladin wrote:Catholic ? As most polls show, Catholics are increasing against much of the church;s teachings -- birth control - most go against the teachings and use birth control. Abortion - yep major disagreement there too. In looking at the Catholic vote, there is no "edge" involved and I'd expect the vote to be near even split again. That tired old dog won't hunt and is poor propaganda, as usual.

But I'll betcha the auto workers and related auto parts workers are heavy for one candidate..................lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well I do not know how to answer that. The only thing that I can tell you is I'm afraid many (those you're talking are only fooling themselves and are not Christians. They call themselves Catholic because their mommies and her daddy's drug them to the church when they were young and yet they have never had a genuine conversion experience.

There are, many Catholics who do hold to the church and the biblical teachings of God. How many of those who do and are true believers who will do and follow their conscience is yet to be seen.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:The Catholic vote will go to Obama. Wait and see.
That could be true. But at least you did not introduce the lie that Abuck did and I respect that out of you

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

What lie?...I never lie tuck......You just hate............... :12224

wildthingRV
All Conference

Post by wildthingRV »

Hate to break it to you, but Catholics don't mindlessly obey their bishop. They aren't really a reliable bloc when it comes to voting, just as women are a diverse group, so are Catholics - more so than Evangelicals when I comes to the polls, I think.

BTW - Biden is Catholic, so . . . that might split the Catholic vote, right there.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

abuck76 wrote:What lie?...I never lie tuck......You just hate............... :12224
All men are liars. You recently posted a hub dinger on this thread! TWICE!!!!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I know a few Catholic families here in Logan and they all are voting against Rommie because of his chuch.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I'm not crazy about Romney's religion either but the morality certainly swings to Romney. I strongly suspect Obama is either agnostic or atheist. He says he's Christian but he's never given a testimony of his conversion.

I'm fairly now at peace if he's reelected. Kinda resigned to our nations fate. No matter how bad it gets I know I'm a Child Of God

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

kantuckyII wrote:I'm not crazy about Romney's religion either but the morality certainly swings to Romney. I strongly suspect Obama is either agnostic or atheist. He says he's Christian but he's never given a testimony of his conversion.

I'm fairly now at peace if he's reelected. Kinda resigned to our nations fate. No matter how bad it gets I know I'm a Child Of God

But you have so much of the Devils work in you and when you brush your teeth in the morning you know you see horns.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Yeah? Me thinks you're Coo Coo for Co Co Puffs

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

i lied twice on this thread...........Called you a liar, niot a lie.......Said Republicans have controlled congress , the presidency and the SCOTUS at one time or another and Roe is still legal..........Neither are lies, but you have just been proven a liar...again........ :12224

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html
By Daniel Burke| Religion News Service,

President Obama’s support among Catholic voters has surged since June, according to a new poll, despite a summer that included the Catholic bishops’ religious freedom campaign and the naming of Rep. Paul Ryan, a Catholic, as the GOP’s vice-presidential candidate.

On June 17, Obama held a slight edge over Mitt Romney among Catholics (49-47 percent), according to the Pew Research Center. Since then, Obama has surged ahead, and now leads 54-39 percent, according to a Pew poll conducted on Sept. 16.

Among all registered voters, Obama leads Romney 51-42 percent, according to Pew.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

abuck76 wrote:i lied twice on this thread...........Called you a liar, niot a lie.......Said Republicans have controlled congress , the presidency and the SCOTUS at one time or another and Roe is still legal..........Neither are lies, but you have just been proven a liar...again........ :12224
You said you never lied. That is what YOU SAID about yourself. The Bible says you're a liar because...all men are liars. Then again, what would that matter to you? You don't believe the Bible but that doesn't change it

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

You remind me of the Pharisees in the New Testiment.

You are evil, and the devil has his hands on you.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Bear wrote:You remind me of the Pharisees in the New Testiment.

You are evil, and the devil has his hands on you.
I'm evil because I believe the Bible and think that murdering innocent children is murder? Because I believe the Bible?

You also said I was evil right after I pointed out the Total Depravity of man. That's pretty interesting as well

Yet, you're ok with those who are so contrary to what God would have - amazing

Return to “The Off season”