Anti-SB 5 Group has collected more than 714,000 signatures

General Chat
NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Anti-SB 5 Group has collected more than 714,000 signatures

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I can't wait until November when Ohio voters vote to prevent this law from taking effect.

http://www.myfox28columbus.com/shared/n ... _536.shtml

COLUMBUS (AP) -- Opponents of Ohio's new collective bargaining law say they have collected hundreds of thousands more signatures than needed so voters can weigh in on repealing the measure this fall.

We Are Ohio said Friday it has collected more than 714,000 signatures, which still must be checked by the state's election chief to ensure enough are legitimate.

The group is making a final petition push in the coming weeks. It needs more than 231,000 valid signatures by June 30 to get the issue on the November ballot.

The signatures have to be from at least 44 of the 88 counties. The law signed by Gov. John Kasich in late March bans public employee strikes and restricts collective bargaining rights for more than 350,000 teachers, police officers, state employees and others.

toast
All State

Re: Anti-SB 5 Group has collected more than 714,000 signatur

Post by toast »

I too can't wait until November. SB5 is an over reach by any standard. Bill Cunningham of WLW spent an until month blasting this bill as too extreme. Cunningham is no moderate.

So much for the pendulum theory on this one. SB5 cuts the pendulum down and whacks the workers squarely over the head with it. Extreme, Extreme, Extreme :evil: :evil:

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

I hope they gather a bunch more this week end to rub it in the governors face!!!!!!

Eagle82
All Conference

Post by Eagle82 »

So this is a public vs private sector bill?

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

Eagle82 wrote:So this is a public vs private sector bill?
in a sense but it primarily restricts the public sector's (government workers) outlandish benefits that FAR exceed private sectors benefits. politicians hand out pay, healthcare, etc. benefits like candy to the public workers FOR THEIR VOTES.
the current rate of healthcare, retirement, and other benefits to them is unsustainable and this bill is intended to curtail some of that and therefore cut government spending of YOUR money.

http://www.betterohio.org/Facts?gclid=C ... KgodSnPUOQ

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Those darn public workers and their outlandish benefits. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wildthingRV
All Conference

Post by wildthingRV »

KVDW wrote:
in a sense but it primarily restricts the public sector's (government workers) outlandish benefits that FAR exceed private sectors benefits. politicians hand out pay, healthcare, etc. benefits like candy to the public workers FOR THEIR VOTES.
the current rate of healthcare, retirement, and other benefits to them is unsustainable and this bill is intended to curtail some of that and therefore cut government spending of YOUR money.

I'm a teacher, and nobody has EVER purchase my vote. Ever. Some things people say on here are frustrating, but that is pretty insulting.

I do get good healthcare, in my district, but that came at the cost of several raises over the years, so we make very little in comparison to other districts. When this bill goes into effect, it will mandate a certain percentage of our healthcare be out of pocket, but that won't replace the raises. This takes money out of my pocket. Not that I was making a ton to begin with. It would mandate certain other policies that my district hasn't seen fit to introduce. So, the idea that this is about local control is insane. Mandates on local districts do not equate to greater local control, they equate to less.

The idea that teachers, cops, and firefighters make too much and get too much in benefits is absolutely ridiculous. I'd be happy to share with the the details of my contract if you think I'm lying. I'll post language if you ask me. I bet you won't, because this bill is based on lies, and truth is the enemy of this governers agenda.

For fun, what should a cop make to risk his life? Or a firefighter? Guys and gals who may not make it home for saving your ass. You wanna come over and debate this? I'll bring my cop friends, my firefighter friends, and you can tell them what they are worth. PM me, and I'll send you my address.

People like you disgust me. You know NOTHING and pretend to know EVERYTHING. You wanna know about my life, and the life of my nearest and dearest who put their ass on the line for you, please, please, I'm begging you, man up and accept my invitation. This is not a threat or anything like that. I would like to introduce you to actual reality.

I would never purport to know a thing about where you work (I assume you work) and therefore wouldn't have the gall to pretend I do. Consider a similar approach.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Policemen,firefighter and teachers need more ---it is just that simple.

These are three people that need the health care that the so called congressmen get.

wildthingRV
All Conference

Post by wildthingRV »

noreply66 wrote:Policemen,firefighter and teachers need more ---it is just that simple.

These are three people that need the health care that the so called congressmen get.
I wouldn't know you if you smacked me upside the head with a board, but you are still one of my favorite people on here. :12223

toast
All State

Post by toast »

wildthingRV wrote:
KVDW wrote:

I'm a teacher, and nobody has EVER purchase my vote. Ever. Some things people say on here are frustrating, but that is pretty insulting.

I do get good healthcare, in my district, but that came at the cost of several raises over the years, so we make very little in comparison to other districts. When this bill goes into effect, it will mandate a certain percentage of our healthcare be out of pocket, but that won't replace the raises. This takes money out of my pocket. Not that I was making a ton to begin with. It would mandate certain other policies that my district hasn't seen fit to introduce. So, the idea that this is about local control is insane. Mandates on local districts do not equate to greater local control, they equate to less.

The idea that teachers, cops, and firefighters make too much and get too much in benefits is absolutely ridiculous. I'd be happy to share with the the details of my contract if you think I'm lying. I'll post language if you ask me. I bet you won't, because this bill is based on lies, and truth is the enemy of this governers agenda.

For fun, what should a cop make to risk his life? Or a firefighter? Guys and gals who may not make it home for saving your booty. You wanna come over and debate this? I'll bring my cop friends, my firefighter friends, and you can tell them what they are worth. PM me, and I'll send you my address.

People like you disgust me. You know NOTHING and pretend to know EVERYTHING. You wanna know about my life, and the life of my nearest and dearest who put their booty on the line for you, please, please, I'm begging you, man up and accept my invitation. This is not a threat or anything like that. I would like to introduce you to actual reality.

I would never purport to know a thing about where you work (I assume you work) and therefore wouldn't have the gall to pretend I do. Consider a similar approach.
Great Post!!!

wildthingRV
All Conference

Post by wildthingRV »

Looks like it's time to do it again with this new over-reaching abortion bill.

Apparently Columbus still needs to learn that they were NOT elected to mess with our lives, but to bring JOBS.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

they never do what they run on

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Make your own jobs don't wait to suckle the public teat. Cops, Firemen and teachers make a good living and probably couldn't handle a production job. Kills me to see the whining by folks that really don't work all that hard when guys busting their arses get nothing but what they REALLY earn. I'd love to take the whole lot of them to work with me and watch them quit before the first day was over.

wildthingRV
All Conference

Post by wildthingRV »

Boonedawg wrote:Make your own jobs don't wait to suckle the public teat. Cops, Firemen and teachers make a good living and probably couldn't handle a production job. Kills me to see the whining by folks that really don't work all that hard when guys busting their arses get nothing but what they REALLY earn. I'd love to take the whole lot of them to work with me and watch them quit before the first day was over.

When and where, tough guy?

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

I work in the public sector but have been persuing employment recently. What I have found is shocking. The production based company I am in the process of gaining employment which offers much much better healthcare and a much lower premium rate as well as co-pays and provides better coverage. Retirement is more than double for about the same cost. PDOs are comparable although not quite as good as public sector employment. But the pay is the biggest difference you see, the public sector sees very few COLA raises (none ever in my field) whereas the private sector jobs I have applied for are getting yearly or bi-yearly COLA raises with bonuses and guaranteed longevity increases. No speak of taking pay cuts in the private sector which is a complete 180 from the public. I want out of the public sector and am willing to give up 10 years of PERS service to do it. On top of that, I have worked with the boilermakers, insulators, and 2 family owned business and I work harder now than I did in any of those jobs all the while making less each year only to hear people say "yeh a paycut for them sounds great to me". Ridiculous! I am not lazy but if I can cut down my workload and make better money doing it and have better benefits than I want in the private sector but still think BS5 is wrong!

SB5 is simple, while standing in line to vote think one thought "Do I want to vote to cut another man's pay??" That is the bottom line. I have kids as do most people, look them in the eye and tell them I want your daddy to make less money. I'll tell you this much, you are a poor excuse for a human if that is your stance and a man only in words because no man would do that to a fellow man.

Combine that with the outline for the future it sets. Next it will be all jobs affected by the voting public. All unions threatened by voters who are primarily jealous because they are misinformed. Maybe all jobs will face a 15% paycut mandated by the government next November.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

JChipwood wrote:I work in the public sector but have been persuing employment recently. What I have found is shocking. The production based company I am in the process of gaining employment which offers much much better healthcare and a much lower premium rate as well as co-pays and provides better coverage. Retirement is more than double for about the same cost. PDOs are comparable although not quite as good as public sector employment. But the pay is the biggest difference you see, the public sector sees very few COLA raises (none ever in my field) whereas the private sector jobs I have applied for are getting yearly or bi-yearly COLA raises with bonuses and guaranteed longevity increases. No speak of taking pay cuts in the private sector which is a complete 180 from the public. I want out of the public sector and am willing to give up 10 years of PERS service to do it. On top of that, I have worked with the boilermakers, insulators, and 2 family owned business and I work harder now than I did in any of those jobs all the while making less each year only to hear people say "yeh a paycut for them sounds great to me". Ridiculous! I am not lazy but if I can cut down my workload and make better money doing it and have better benefits than I want in the private sector but still think BS5 is wrong!

SB5 is simple, while standing in line to vote think one thought "Do I want to vote to cut another man's pay??" That is the bottom line. I have kids as do most people, look them in the eye and tell them I want your daddy to make less money. I'll tell you this much, you are a poor excuse for a human if that is your stance and a man only in words because no man would do that to a fellow man.

Combine that with the outline for the future it sets. Next it will be all jobs affected by the voting public. All unions threatened by voters who are primarily jealous because they are misinformed. Maybe all jobs will face a 15% paycut mandated by the government next November.

Great post! And consider that most public employees are now doing other peoples work as well --- many government offices have eliminated positions in the past decade. That workload isn't eliminated -- it is simply shifted over to someone else who must now complete that work AND their own original job duties.

I really like your statement -

SB5 is simple, while standing in line to vote think one thought "Do I want to vote to cut another man's pay??"

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

wildthingRV wrote:
KVDW wrote:

so tell me (very honestly), are you going to vote for Kasich next time around or his opponent that promises you pay and benefit increases?

and for JC's, Toast's and your benefit, I never said a word about cutting your wages nor did i say that teachers, cops or firemen made too much money. i do believe they make a decent wage and outstanding benefits for the most part (i don't have a clue what kind of public sector job JC has nor what kind of private sector job he is going to.... he didn't say).

since everybody is throwing their figures around let me give you a couple....

CASE #1

i have two uncles... we'll call them Unc A and Unc B....

unc A worked in the private sector ( a big time utilities company) for 37 years and was making $67,000 a year when he retired and annually paid TWICE as much as Unc B for him and his wife's healthcare.
His retirement pay from that company is a little over $800 per month.

unc B worked in the public sector for 30 years (most public sector jobs you can retire with 30 years service regardless of your age) and was making $56,000 a year when he retired (a pretty decent wage for a public sector job and especially 10 years ago). again let me emphasize that he was paying HALF as much monthly for his and his wife's healthcare with better benefits.
his retirement pay is a little over $3,000 per month from his public sector job.
also upon his retirement he was able to "cash in" his unused vacation time at his regular pay rate (15 wks @5 wks per year for 3 years max) and half of his unused sick leave PLUS a couple hundred hours of "comp" time (overtime worked usually compensated for in time off at a rate of time and one half rather than dollars at payday). All this for a total of well over $30,000 in a lump sum payout on his last check.

Unc A was making about $11,000 more per year than Unc B when each retired but by the time you added up the difference in what each paid for their heathcare package each year there was virtually very little difference in their take home pay.

CASE #2

i have a personal female friend that was working as a secretary in a private professional office at $7.00+ an hour with very little healthcare benefits which she mostly paid for herself.
She was fortunate enough to land a job as a secretary in a state government office and STARTED at $14.00+ an hour with MUCH better healthcare benefits at a lower cost to her. This was also about 10 years ago.

The fact is that the public sector simply cannot afford to pay those kind of retirement percentages unless the retiree either draws a lower percentage upon retirement or pays into the system at a higher out-of-pocket rate as the work years go by. I believe SB5 is just requiring them to pay in a little more each year (a little closer to what the private sector worker pays).

The alternatives seem to be:

Pay in a little more each year out-of-pocket.

Draw out less upon retirement.

OR

Draw NOTHING in a few years when the system goes BUST.

I, in no way meant to insult you but I DO know a little about the system you work in...

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Great post! And consider that most public employees are now doing other peoples work as well --- many government offices have eliminated positions in the past decade. That workload isn't eliminated -- it is simply shifted over to someone else who must now complete that work AND their own original job duties.

:mrgreen: If one worker is currently doing his/her work PLUS the work of another person that got laid off, it just tells me that NEITHER of them was doing a full days work to start with.

The motto used to be:
A FULL DAYS WORK FOR A FULL DAYS PAY.

What ever happened to that concept??

wildthingRV
All Conference

Post by wildthingRV »

so tell me (very honestly), are you going to vote for Kasich next time around or his opponent that promises you pay and benefit increases?

I don't generally vote single issues, for one. For another, I haven't a clue WHO will run against the current governor, so I couldn't say. As for whether I'd vote for him, I'm leaning against it. I'll be honest. He ran on a jobs platform and his actions since taking office seem to be about setting fire to things, not building anything, so . . . I am unlikely to support him. But maybe the Dems run that dirtbag Strickland again, and then I don't know what I'll do.

CASE #2

i have a personal female friend that was working as a secretary in a private professional office at $7.00+ an hour with very little healthcare benefits which she mostly paid for herself.
She was fortunate enough to land a job as a secretary in a state government office and STARTED at $14.00+ an hour with MUCH better healthcare benefits at a lower cost to her. This was also about 10 years ago.
I've never heard of a secretary starting at that kind of money in my district.
. . . .
I, in no way meant to insult you but I DO know a little about the system you work in...
Key word there being "little." Not nearly as much as you imagine. For one thing, your stories are old. For another, they represent no reality I know of. Like I told you, school districts down here can't pay us in pounds of gold and give us free an amazing heathcare. The money has NEVER been there to do that. We chose a lower wage and better insurance, and all that dries up under the current plan. That's REALITY. Not hearsay from ten years ago, but FACT from now. This bill means that I make less money. Put whatever spin you want on it. If I make $100 dollars a month now, I'll make $75 under the new plan because of the dismantling of our insurance. The thing is that our BoE and the teachers union have this under control. Nobody is bankrupting anybody. Things are working. The current administration decieded to give our BoE MORE control by taking away their ability to make choices like what kind of insurance we get. That's not MORE control.

My invitation stands.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

For what it's worth I have researched and applied at AEP Gavin plant, Kyger Creek Plant (OVEC), GKN Sinter Metals, and Kenworth in the private sector. All have better and cheaper medical insurance, all pay MUCH better wages, and all have guaranteed raises built into every position. Like I said the PDOs are a push in some cases and in other cases advantage public sector.

I would say uncle A got cheated somehow in his monthly amount and that is sad. I have a family member retired from Columbus Southern Power over 20 years ago that pays very little for healthcare and draws 3 times that as a monthly amount and at no point ever ever made that much money annually, not even close.

The bottom line is less money and that is the choice you have to make, no matter how you look at it, that is the bottom line. The public system has changed greatly recently and the sector has taken cuts in every way possible to help create job security, that is in every way except administrators, politicians, and most management level personnel. Those positions will not be affected much at all by SB5 and that is where that fat can be trimmed most.

The benefits you speak of have been held in check in some cases but have taken huge hits recently as well concerning the accumulation of PDOs and the cash out of accumulated time. The areas that have been held in check have been in exchange for lower wages, loss of pay increases, higher insurance prems, mandatory days off without pay which are concessions made for something that now is being threatened. On top of that communist Kasich wants more cuts in the areas we have already given in. 10 years ago things were much different and since then the public sector has lost most of the perks it had over the private, now more cuts are proposed and people may actually vote in support of those cuts.

Sad part is that, like most republican politicians, the public assistance standards and help available keeps increasing and has already and most likely will again increase under Kasich handing out more tax dollars from a "broke" system. Add to that politicians getting more and more annually, again from a broke system. The individuals hurting are the ones that are loyal and stay in it for the long haul, that is who you are trying to hurt by voting for BS5.

Return to “The Off season”