Roy Rogers Festival
Aug 03, 2011 - Aug 06, 2011
River Inn Hotel
711 2nd Street
Portsmouth, OH
740-353-0900
Get Directions
740-353-0900
To read about the Trigger and Bullet Happy Trails Tour //triggerandbullet.com/about

caglewis
SEOP

Re: Trigger Coming To Town

Post by caglewis »

Isn't he dead and stuffed? Where does he usually live and how does he travel to get to Portsmouth?
I took my fairly young older grandchildren on a tour of the Portsmouth murals 20+ yrs ago, and my older granddaughter loved the one of Trigger rearing up. I told her a little about the show's story. She had a little trouble with the jeep's name though - she called it "Molly Bolt".
I recently rode an Amtrak train back here from Chicago seated beside a young Asian woman who was an exchange student at Shawnee State returning to Portsmouth after Thanksgiving. She did not know who Roy Rogers was or why there was a street area in Portsmouth named for him. He's a difficult concept to explain to someone unfamiliar with "the American West" or how Portsmouth, Ohio is connected to it. Her English was good, but not so much for idiomatic terminology - she was aware of the floodwall murals, though. I told her to look for the horse!
In my youth 60+ yrs ago in Wilmington, OH, we had a large upright console radio - probably 4' tall. My elementary school age brother and I sat on the floor with our ears pressed against the speakers to listen to radio shows. Our "bedtime" was 8:00 PM except on Thursdays when we were allowed to stay up til 8:30 to listen to the Roy Rogers show on the radio!!! Trust me that is very difficult to explain now to a college-age young woman from a different country/culture/language. It doesn't "translate" well! Roy Rogers and Trigger et al are among my fondest youthful memories!!

Return to “The Off season”