Must We Shop on Thanksgiving? Sears & Kmart will be open

General Chat
NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Must We Shop on Thanksgiving? Sears & Kmart will be open

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://www.newser.com/story/105555/must ... iving.html
Forget the Grinch, or Scrooge: This year's holiday-spoiling honors go to Sears, writes Francine Kiefer. Last year the title went to Kmart, which kept its doors open all day long on Thanksgiving. Sears will join it this year, tempting not-yet-stuffed shoppers from 7am until noon—and it's "enough to turn my gravy lumpy." It's no big surprise why this is happening, Kiefer writes for the Christian Science Monitor: Retailers are nervous about their bottom line, and weary Americans are on the hunt for the best deal. But "must America always put shopping first?"

We already do so on Veterans Day, Memorial Day, and Presidents Day, and while Thanksgiving is about pumpkin pie and overeating ... but isn't it about gratitude? "Family, friends, and counting blessings add up to a sacredness that’s worth preserving for one day out of 365. Not a half day. Not squeezing it in between shopping or working, but a full day." Kiefer pushes other states to follow the lead of places like Massachusetts and Connecticut, which bar retailers from opening on the fourth Thursday of November. "If retailers keep nibbling on Thanksgiving, there will be nothing left but the bones of this day's meaning. The country will be celebrating 50% off, instead of acknowledging the bounty it already has."

caglewis
SEOP

Re: Must We Shop on Thanksgiving? Sears & Kmart will be ope

Post by caglewis »

Because my family all live many miles away, I have always planned to be done with my Christmas shopping in time to deliver my packages when I see these people around Thanksgiving - much more likely than seeing them at all at Christmas. And they can keep them to open later or open on the spot, I don't care. But whatever - I won't be Christmas shopping any time on Thanksgiving day/weekend. I'll be already DONE: wrapped, delivered - and visiting my grandkids in Chicago!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I can't figure out why I can't go fishing on Thanksgiving. I've been told I better not - oh well... :122246

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Oh you probably can - just like others can go hunting - or watch TV - or go shopping.
But if you also want to eat a huge holiday meal with all your favorite dishes, and have a perfectly clean and decorated-for-company house, then who do you expect to cook, clean, decorate and when?
You're like my father who expected meals magically to arrive on the table whenever HE wanted for however many people - no need for prior notice or preparation time - because cooking wasn't HIS job!
Last edited by caglewis on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Probably but..if you knew how much I've been fishing this year, you'd understand why I wouldn't protest too much lol. I've been in that boat of mine, 8 out out of the last 10 days alone. I feel like I"m bobbing in the water sometimes, standing on dry ground

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

He's too busy fishing - If and when he actually catches anything - does he then clean and cook it??

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

and while the Tigers were kicking butt in Logan, the ol bearded goat was floating on a lake in Guntersville, Alabameeeeeeee chasing some silly bass around.......again, I will ask, who in the hell goes fishing during football season. I have found Krogers has a very good supply of trout and bass and just about any other kind of seafood to hold me over until I can get back on the water after football season.....

ON TOPIC: and no I wont be in Sears on Turkey day.......nor will I be in Wally World........

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Very few even noticed I was gone. I bet I could stay away for a year before some said, 'hey, where's that guy at?'

...anyway, hate to disappoint you but..if I'd had the money, I'd been down there this week, and next too! I'd move down there if I could.

I do, however, enjoy Thanksgiving and the family but 'IF' I could..I'd like to have my entire family meet at the boat ramp on Mud Creek, we'd all wolf down a burger and then hit the lake again hard ;-)

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

kantuckyII wrote:Very few even noticed I was gone. I bet I could stay away for a year before some said, 'hey, where's that guy at?'

...anyway, hate to disappoint you but..if I'd had the money, I'd been down there this week, and next too! I'd move down there if I could.

I do, however, enjoy Thanksgiving and the family but 'IF' I could..I'd like to have my entire family meet at the boat ramp on Mud Creek, we'd all wolf down a burger and then hit the lake again hard ;-)

better get you a set of luggage cause if I hit the powerball tomorrow nite you are history........Atlas van lines will be at your house Monday morning and you can leave your boat in the driveway for Doggie as I will have a new boat setting at the dock in Alabama. And take GreyFightingTiger with you cause that boy cant make it to Flatwoods unless you take him.....

and just in case I dont hit the powerball I will take the money out of the OldBrokenDownTigerFans piggy bank as most of them want to see you gone......and dont forget that camera and all the pics of Horace, dont want you to be lonesome for the little fella.....

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

TigerTownTurkey wrote:... And take GreyFightingTiger with you cause that boy cant make it to Flatwoods unless you take him.....
:aaaaa46

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

heck yeah! I will be my honey works unless its pouring down rain...so why not shop?? I don't do the thanksgiving gig here just Christmas we already did thanksgiving when we helped my eldest move in her new home..and my grandson will be at his other family so if there is a deal and k-mart does layaway why not I have a son with a birthday in Dec. one in Jan and my Grandsons first one is in March nothing like starting early :122249

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

TigerTownTurkey wrote:
kantuckyII wrote:Very few even noticed I was gone. I bet I could stay away for a year before some said, 'hey, where's that guy at?'

better get you a set of luggage cause if I hit the powerball tomorrow nite you are history........Atlas van lines will be at your house Monday morning and you can leave your boat in the driveway for Doggie as I will have a new boat setting at the dock in Alabama. And take GreyFightingTiger with you cause that boy cant make it to Flatwoods unless you take him.....

and just in case I dont hit the powerball I will take the money out of the OldBrokenDownTigerFans piggy bank as most of them want to see you gone......and dont forget that camera and all the pics of Horace, dont want you to be lonesome for the little fella.....
Guy, I know the house. I saw it two years ago. It sets back in a shaddy cove about 100' from the water..flat ground. Walk out the back door to the boat garage..complete will hydraulic lifts to lift your boat out of the water...awesome set up!

Return to “The Off season”