Dateline NBC - Sun. 7/25 @7pm to feature Athens, Hocking Co.

General Chat
NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Dateline NBC - Sun. 7/25 @7pm to feature Athens, Hocking Co.

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://insidedateline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/07/20/4715433-sunday-july-25-america-now-friends-and-neighbors

For some this economy may be turning around but the reality is millions of families are at risk of going hungry, in one of the richest nations on earth. In the past two years alone, the number of Americans visiting food pantries has jumped 30 percent. Over the last nine months, "Dateline" focused its cameras on how the Great Recession has impacted some of the poorest people in America – those who are the first to feel the downturn, and will likely be the last to feel the recovery.

For the report, "America Now: Friends & Neighbors," airing on Sunday, July 25 (7:00 PM/ET), "Dateline" anchor Ann Curry travels to Ohio where the hardworking poor, with deep traditions in mining, manufacturing and military service, are increasingly seen in food pantry lines ashamed and angry. Recently, the people of Southeast Ohio made pleas for jobs and food written on thousands of paper plates to President Obama. One message reads: "My husband worked hard all his life and he died hungry." Curry interviews people struggling with poverty and unemployment, and reports on what they're doing to make their lives, and their children's lives, better.

Their stories, and the images, push beyond stereotypes and reveal a hidden America that is both surprising and haunting but nevertheless, hopeful. While most television news reporting on the recession has focused on those with a voice and influence -- the middle class -- this hour-long look at how the recession has affected America's poor is a rare chance for viewers to get a comprehensive look at what poverty looks like over time in the heartland.

Viewers will hear from a woman who despite being poor herself, opened a food pantry, "Friends & Neighbors," that feeds thousands; a young mother who spent Ohio's cold month of November sleeping in a van with her children ages 1, 2 and 3; an extended family of 14 crowded into a 4-bedroom house to survive; and a father who was laid off and unable to pay for heat so he woke every two hours to feed the woodstove to keep his two young sons warm.

And here is a video preview........

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/38360824#38360824

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Re: Dateline NBC - Sun. 7/25 @7pm to feature Athens, Hocking Co.

Post by kantuckyII »

ROFL! why would MSNBC care? they're one's who helped put ***** in office...and wait till that tax is levied on the coal industry...then, it's really going be scary

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

go to bed and get some sleep

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

...and, you should 'wake up'

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I'm awake Big Boy

Der_Kommissar1968
JV Team

Post by Der_Kommissar1968 »

Funny how right wing kooks can always connect a dotted line from any bad news to Obama while at the same time ignoring all the great things Bush did for us in his 8 years of exemplary service? Just delusional.

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

Der_Kommissar1968 wrote:Funny how right wing kooks can always connect a dotted line from any bad news to Obama while at the same time ignoring all the great things Bush did for us in his 8 years of exemplary service? Just delusional.

i don't see or hear too many people ignoring what mr. hedge did these days. from what i'm seeing and hearing is that most people have (finally) come to the conclusion that they are ALL a bunch of lying, egotistical crooks that need the "bums rush" the next few elections. that's my view too, and i'm stickin' to it.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Some poeple just can't help but try to stir crap on here!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Ok, keep living in denial, I'll check back with you in one more year..let's see then :-D Don't say I never told you so... ;-)
Last edited by kantuckyII on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

it just gets to me why someone has to bring politics into every topic.
NyBuckeye96,to me, was just putting a simple topic in on something that was going to be on TV about the area they live in and someone has to put their two cents in on politics.

We have a topic on that.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

NyBuckeye96 started the political thread by mentioning that man..again, one more year....tell me how you feel then.. :-D

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Did you EVEN read the article?!...they mention COAL MINING..this area depends on it for a great deal of it's income..barges, power plants, coal trucks etc etc and finally, of course, coal mining. The new tax WILL put that entire industry into jeopardy. Good Golly people, this man said 5 years ago that he wouldn't shut them down, he said he would just 'tax them out of business' and here we go, I never started a political topic, NyBuckeye96

Der_Kommissar1968
JV Team

NyBuckeye didn't mention him. The article did, and only in passing. He/she posted an article that he/she thought would be of interest to the locals. Really nothing more. Neo-conservative sheep. God bless them.

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

While i definitely don't support that man, our problems have been brewing ever since the credit boom of the late 80's and early 90's. He may not be pushing the right buttons to fix it but he didn't create it. Wake up and realize we exceeded our lifestyles contributing to this mess. It's always easier to blame somebody else......

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I blame KII---lol

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

The point is, this isn't a suitable topic here...

Der_Kommissar1968
JV Team

FIDO wrote:SEO has been depressed for decades.....Some folk need to get out of the hollow and see the world.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

If people don't like the situation they have created for THEMSELVES, what the HE!! are they doing about bettering THEIR situation???

STOP YOUR BELLY ACHING, TIGHTEN YOUR BOOT STRAPS AND TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR OWN LIFE!!! STOP WHINING IT'S THE GOVT's FAULT!!! IT'S A CROCK and IT'S A COWARD's WAY OUT!!!!

Here, here.

vids4ckcrash
Varsity

Post by vids4ckcrash »

kantuckyII wrote:The point is, this isn't a suitable topic here...

It was perfectly suitable..........until..............YOU politicized it.

Come on now, tell the truth and shame the devil.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I never politicized jack squat! I just don't think children should be exposed to that man

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

It was a true to life story all be it hand picked

Return to “The Off season”