Driving In Snow Or Bad Weather

General Chat
The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Driving In Snow Or Bad Weather

Post by The Instructor »

I did a 270 while turning onto the Greenup Dam Bridge this morning. :oops: :oops: :122246 :122246

Yes, a 270. It wasn't a complete 360 and it was more than a 180. :122249 :122249

I am so glad we have the new law in Ohio to turn our lights on when our wipers are on. :12223 :12223

It really helped me a lot during the 270 this morning. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Fortunately, my lights are the kind that are on all the time so I don't have to remember to turn them on. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Focused
SEOPS

Re: Driving In Snow Or Bad Weather

Post by Focused »

3 Rules for driving in snow or bad weather:

1. Slow Down
2. Slow Down
3. Slow down

Instructor ~ Were you able to straighten it out before you hit anything?

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

I assume by your humor with the smileys that you are OK

Glad to see you can joke around about it a little

My granma always saidcarry an extra change of clothes with you because you never know when you gonna get stranded and in the winter a couple extra pair of underpants because you never know whe the weather is gonna make you scare sh!t out of yourself.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

Focused wrote:3 Rules for driving in snow or bad weather:

1. Slow Down
2. Slow Down
3. Slow down

Instructor ~ Were you able to straighten it out before you hit anything?

Yes, I stopped about a foot away from the wall.

Thank Goodness!

I wasn't going fast.

If I had been, I would have a wrecked vehicle.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

mstangmom wrote:I assume by your humor with the smileys that you are OK

Glad to see you can joke around about it a little

My granma always saidcarry an extra change of clothes with you because you never know when you gonna get stranded and in the winter a couple extra pair of underpants because you never know whe the weather is gonna make you scare sh!t out of yourself.

Yes, I am ok.

Thanks for asking. :-D

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

I've always heard if you can see your own brake lights while driving that is bad.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

A semi-truck of some kind jack-knived into the other lane today on 23 coming through Russell. I was on my way home from work in South Shore at about 10:30 and I had to go into downtown Russell and get on the ramp that gets onto 23 to get by the accident.
This is my 4th winter reading gas meters and let me tell you: driving in this kind of weather will put hair on your chest.
I've been rear-ended, stuck in ditches, stuck in parking lots, and unable to make it up hills, and many other things. . . I like to pretend I'm an ice-road trucker! :lol:

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

fuzzhead wrote:I've been rear-ended, stuck in ditches, stuck in parking lots, and many other things. . .

OzzieOhio told me he had the same things happen to him when he was in the military.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

:lol: :lol:

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

Glad you are okay instructor..
Now with the headlights there were many out last night WITHOUT their lights on and therefore they are very very hard to see not sure what their thoughts are on that one... grrrrr
and if you have a 4x4 it doesn't mean you can drive like a bat out of hell when its bad out... I almost got hit yesterday before it was really bad by people who thought they were "cool" possibly??

wildthingRV
All Conference

Post by wildthingRV »

slow down

use your gears, not your brakes

seriously, slow down

seriously, use your gears.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

orange-n-brown 365 wrote:Glad you are okay instructor..
Now with the headlights there were many out last night WITHOUT their lights on and therefore they are very very hard to see not sure what their thoughts are on that one... grrrrr
and if you have a 4x4 it doesn't mean you can drive like a bat out of hell when its bad out... I almost got hit yesterday before it was really bad by people who thought they were "cool" possibly??

I was driving my sons blazer this morning and plowing everything in front od me over :122246 :lol: .....

not really,,but it sure is nice to be able to get around in this crap...even if its NOT my car :mrgreen:

wildthingRV
All Conference

Post by wildthingRV »

You can go, but you cannot stop. The stopping is the part that makes people sad and dead and stuff.

Being stuck is disappointing. Sliding through an intersection and getting t-boned is potentially fatal.

Four wheel drive is a false sense of security. Combine that with the sense to realize that the real trick is stopping and it's nice.

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

Post by Mouth's Better Half »

I am a horrible driver in the snow and avoid it at all costs. But I work for a living and have to get there. I do take it slow but in the snow, it is about everyone else on the road too. I asked my boss for a ride to work a few times last year when the weather was icy and he confided that he wasn't any better a driver in the snow. I said "Well, if we wreck -- I'll have a great reason for being late to work!"

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

The roads in Greenup County were awful today.
It seems like they only thing they do over there to make the roads safer is maybe say a "Hail Mary" or two and just hope no one gets hurt. :roll:
There's no excuse for a road like route 23 to be in such terrible shape.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

Mouth's Better Half wrote:I am a horrible driver in the snow and avoid it at all costs. But I work for a living and have to get there. I do take it slow but in the snow, it is about everyone else on the road too. I asked my boss for a ride to work a few times last year when the weather was icy and he confided that he wasn't any better a driver in the snow. I said "Well, if we wreck -- I'll have a great reason for being late to work!"

:lol: best one i could think
I hate to drive in it and avoid it if I don't have to go out like today I was fortunate that my hubby was home he took my son to the doc now tomorrow and thursday I have appts.. i'm praying for good roads

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

wildthingRV wrote:You can go, but you cannot stop. The stopping is the part that makes people sad and dead and stuff.

Being stuck is disappointing. Sliding through an intersection and getting t-boned is potentially fatal.

Four wheel drive is a false sense of security. Combine that with the sense to realize that the real trick is stopping and it's nice.

you are right,but I am very careful when driving in snow and ice, I give my self plenty of time for stopping at intersections, even if the light is green I will be going slow enough to stop if I have to.

IM 28, and have been driving for 39 years,and have never had an accident....

on Ice or snow :mrgreen:

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Driving home this morning I was keeping it between 35 and 40 depending on the area I was and knowing where it usually drifts really bad, and this is a 2 lane road. people were passing me constantly and taking off like I was standing still. I just maintained my speed and said to myself you go on ahead and pass I would rather be safe than hurry up and end up in the ditch.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

Very good, mom....

We don't want you to be dead in a ditch!

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Why were you even out this morning? Surely you didn't have school did you? Glad to hear you made it through ok.That can be scary.I did a complete 360 coming down my driveway one time.But that was when I first learned to drive.Now I know to be easier on the breaks if you start to slide.

Return to “The Off season”