SEOPS

Car crash kills 18 year old

Post by Focused »

Overnight crash kills 18-year-old man

Roman "Corey" Taylor

December 26, 2008 @ 08:50 AM

CURTIS JOHNSON

Herald-Dispatch.com

BURLINGTON, Ohio — A Christmas night crash killed the starting center of last year’s South Point High School boys basketball team.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol identified the deceased as Roman “Corey” Taylor. The crash occurred at 11:34 p.m. Thursday along Charlie Creek Road near Burlington.

Trooper Darrin Webb said Taylor’s vehicle crossed the center line, left the roadway and crashed into a tree, which rested against the drivers’ side door. Webb still searched for answers Friday morning.

“There are not really any extreme circumstances,” he said. “There was ice on the road way back, but it wasn’t anywhere around the scene of the crash.”

A 16-year-old female passenger was seriously injured. Webb did not release her name, but he said she sustained a broken arm and a possible punctured lung. She was taken to Cabell-Huntington Hospital.

A third-passenger — Devin Lee Kruel, 19, of South Point — refused medical treatment.

Taylor was a 6-foot-3 center who signed to play basketball at University of Rio Grande. His name is not listed on the university’s current online roster.

Taylor played in the shadow of bigger names — Todd Mayo and Beau Weed. Taylor was described as a defensive-minded, but offensive-ready, role player. He relished the role.

“I have never been the best player or go-to-guy, but I play hard,” Taylor said at his signing in May 2008. “I usually get most of my points down low by grabbing the offensive board and putting it back up.”

Taylor finished the year averaging 9.5 points and 9.4 rebounds each game. He expected to be a power forward in college.

In May, South Point basketball coach Gary Norris said Taylor’s hard work was his “biggest positive aspect.”

“Corey is also an excellent student,” Norris said in the same interview. “That’s a reflection of the effort he puts fourth on the court and in the classroom.”

Taylor was nominated for The Herald-Dispatch’s Star Student recognition in May.

Webb said the crash investigation would continue in the daylight.

Please pray for Corey's family and many friends at this most difficult time...... My grandson was his college room mate...

ballparent
S

Re: Car crash kills 18 year old

Post by ballparent »

This is so sad to hear...my prayers with his family and for the recovery of his passengers.

Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

Prayers from Ironton.

IronTigerMum
Varsity

Post by IronTigerMum »

More from Ironton...

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

That is Cody Taylor's older brother. Cody played at Ironton last year. Prayers to the Taylor family. Their dad was my son's all star basketball coach. This was long after his kids were involved in bitty league. He just coached for the love of the kids. They have an older brother too. How sad

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Thoughts and Prayers go out to the Taylor family.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

Good kid.......miss him............. :12224

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

Prayers to the Taylor, Mitchell and Kruel families. Jennifer will be having surgery tomorrow on her arm and also has a punctured lung. Devin was basically not hurt but I am sure the emotional toll that these kids will have to face will be much worse!

TigerTownKid
Varsity

Post by TigerTownKid »

My prayers go out to his family. I knew Cody all last year from playing basketball with him, this must be devistating to him and his entire family.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

prayers from this household as well. sorry to hear this.

henrysteele
JV Team

Post by henrysteele »

I just saw Corey a few days ago or so. My heart goes out to his entire family.

Jennifer is a former student in the Ironton City School system. She is a super nice kid. I wish her a full and speedy recovery.

May God comfort and bless the families involved in this tragedy.

cows and chickuns
Varsity

Post by cows and chickuns »

Prayers from here....

PointerFan02
Freshman Team

Post by PointerFan02 »

In addition to seeing him on the basketball court, I worked at South Point as a substitute teacher during what was Corey's Junior & Senior year. While I didn't know him well, I remember his smile and sense of humor, yet still knowing when it was time to get to work.

Prayers go out to the family, his classmates, and the entire community.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Thoughts and Prayers to the Taylor family..........

Rhiannon
All Conference

Post by Rhiannon »

I taught Jennifer in the 7th grade.....really nice and cute little girl....hope she gets better soon...

Prayers to the Taylors....

TheChesterfieldKing
Riding the Bench

Post by TheChesterfieldKing »

Jenny is at home now - dismissed from the hospital today. I saw her yesterday and today, in good spirits but a lot of pain and bruised up. Her lung was not punctured, but they are waiting to do her surgery on her arm and elbow ( they were both severely broken) until later next week just to be safe. She has a long road to recovery (6-8 months if I remember correctly), but should have full mobility and be able to cheer next year. She's one of those kids that if you teach her, you can't forget her and her " Jennyland" moments ( those of you that may know her, know exactly what i mean...lol). She is a joy to have in class.
Devin is home as well. Cuts and bruises on his face, but from what I have heard doing ok.
While I only got to know Corey for a year, he was a very respectful young man, great athlete and good student. Like any high school kid, he had his moments, but he was just one of those kids where you could truly say ( and you teachers know what I mean), this is a "neat kid".
Please continue to remember the Taylor family in your thoughts and prayers as I know it is very much appreciated. As Jenny said today, God must have had other plans for Corey right now - I don't think anyone could have said it any better.
Also, please keep the SPHS students in your thoughts and prayers. These kids are really hurting right now and need not only the support of their family and friends, but the community as well.
We will be working on a memorial to Corey in the coming months. If it isn't a problem with the moderators on here, when I am at liberty to give more information I would like to post it on here. He was a great STUDENT-ATHLETE.
THANK YOU ALL for your kind words on here. As one who is helping students deal with this, it is uplifting to read.

PointerFan02
Freshman Team

Post by PointerFan02 »

Obituary taken from Herald Dispatch website

ROMAN COREY TAYLOR
(Dec 28, 2008)
ROMAN COREY TAYLOR, 18, of South Point, Ohio, went home to be with the Lord much too soon, on December 25, 2008. He was born December 31, 1989 in Huntington, W.Va., beloved son of Randall and Deborah Taylor, a brother to Derik (Cathy), Ryan (Christina) and Cody Taylor. Corey also had a 4.0 GPA for his senior year of high school and played center for South Point basketball team that went 20-0 during the regular season. He was selected all OVC and all district honorable mention. He took his game to the University of Rio Grande this year and was on the Dean's list, and his major was pre-law. He was preceded in death by paternal grandparents William Taylor and Carol Taylor Mannon. In addition to his parents and brothers he leaves behind maternal grandparents, Katherine and Jewett Pettry, of South Point, and Dick Barker and Lenna Thompson of Chapmanville, W.Va.; paternal grandparents, Jack and Susan Mannon, of Proctorville, Ohio. He was uncle "Tree" to Abbey, Jones and Cole Taylor and nephew to Greg and Lisa Taylor, Steve Barker and J. D. Barker and Karen Taylor. He had so many loving friends especially Jordan Foster, Devin Kruel, Meagan Crabtree, Heather Mooney and his cruising buddy, Roy Evans. A memorial scholarship is in the process of being set up. Please contact Meagan Crabtree at the South Point High School. Funeral services will be conducted at 11 am Tuesday at the Reger Funeral Chapel by Rev. Kermit Taylor and Mr. John Maynard, Principal of South Point High School. Burial will follow in Spring Valley Memory Gardens, Huntington. Friends may call from 6 to 9 pm Monday at South Point High School, South Point, Ohio. What makes a Son so special? It isn't what the eye can see that brings a parent pride, but the warm and caring person a Son is deep down inside. It's his gentle strength, his laughter the joy he always gives, his honesty and kindness, and the thoughtful way he lives. What makes a Son so special right from the very start? It's the most important thing of all - the love that's in his heart. We love you so much.

Return to “The Off season”