Guitar

General Chat
MightyOaksFan
SE

Guitar

Post by MightyOaksFan »

I have been learning to play the guitar for a few years now. My question however is what kind of guitar should I get. If just learning should I just get a cheap one or should I get a good one to learn on. Suggestions where to buy are appreciated.
Thanks

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Re: Guitar

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

If your looking for a used one, you can find all different types at the flea markets in the area. Try 23 south bound on the weekend.

Joe Strummer
Freshman Team

Post by Joe Strummer »

Buy the very best guitar you can afford. A well built, easy-to-play instrument speeds up the learning process. You will put in more hours practicing if the guitar sounds good and is easy on your fretting hand. Plus, if you decide guitar is not your thing, a good guitar will have higher re-sale value than a cheap one so you will get more of your money back.

As far as "most guitar for the dollar" try Yamaha and Carvin. Also check out instrument reviews on Acoustic Guitar Magazine's web site. As for purchasing, see Musicians Friend.com and Carvin.com. Great customer service and return policies.

RiverRatZap
SEOPS

Post by RiverRatZap »

For what it's worth, I started learning guitar on an acoustic way back when. It made playing an electric that much easier, for me anyway.

As far as what to buy, I'd take Joe Strummer's advice. The first electric guitar I bought was a Kramer for around $550 when I was 16. Sold many baseball cards to get the money.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Learn on an acoustic.

I worked at Guitar Center in Columbus for 2 1/2 years.
My best advise, go to a store and sit and play several guitars,
find out which one feals the most comfortable, and sounds nice to your ear.
Get that one.

Don't worry about getting a Martin, Taylor, or Gibson right now. Unless you have the
budget to do so. (If you do, get a Martin. That's just a personal choice though)

Find one that suits your body and ear. If you do, you will play it more often, and
enjoy playing so much more.

If you're going to be in the Columbus area, go to Guitar Center on Morse rd.
Ask for Jesse Edwards. He is one of my best friends, and one of the absolute best salesmen in the
music business. Give the store a call to find out when he works. (614-436-2600)

Best of luck, and break a leg

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

I found these at a decent price range. Are any of these good guitars? Remember I know nothing.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navi ... y=1&rpp=20

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

pawn shops also have guitars check there I am sure they will let you strum a few notes :122245 good luck

Joe Strummer
Freshman Team

Post by Joe Strummer »

MightyOaksFan wrote:I found these at a decent price range. Are any of these good guitars? Remember I know nothing.

The Yamahas and probably the Epiphones are good choices on this list of entry level instruments. For a quick education, Google "buying acoustic guitar" or "how to buy an acoustic guitar". Just like car shopping, take your time and keep an open mind. At the minimum look for a solid top, reliable hardware (tuning pegs), level frets, and a straight neck.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Where could a person get some guitar lessons? In the portsmouth area. I would also like to get piano lessons for my daughters.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

My dad gives lessons in his shop, everything from bluegrass mandolin and banjo to classical piano. 353-0439

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Thanks , do I get a moderator discount? :lol: :lol:

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

MightyOaksFan wrote:I found these at a decent price range. Are any of these good guitars? Remember I know nothing.

The Yamaha Gigmaker is a solid buy for a low budget.

Yamaha makes very good low priced guitars.

It will come with everything to get you started.

Pawn shops are a good place to shop as well, but make absolutely sure the owner knows his musical instruments
or you take a guy that does with you. Buying a used guitar takes a keen eye, and a knowledgeable person.

Make sure you play the guitar for at least 5-10 minutes, and make sure to sight the guitar for straightness of the neck.

Check to see what gauge strings they have on it. Most lower priced guitars are not truely "setup" at the manufacturer.
They are typically strung with "12s" and this is normally a good fit. Heavier strings will pull the neck way out of line
and cause many playing problems. Lighter strings aren't as bad, but they shouldn't be to light. a set of 11s will work,
but the truss rod may need tightened if the neck starts to sag.

There is a lot to look into, but a good guitar even if it's not expensive can last a very long time.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

You'll have to talk to the old man about that Oz. I'll put in a good word for you though.

whodeyAtown21
SEOPS

Post by whodeyAtown21 »

Pocket guitar for iPhone!

Return to “The Off season”