SEOPS HO

OU president gets nice raise wonder if the students will get

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

a raise in tution also???
6/28/2008 9:30:00 AM
McDavis gets $85K pay raise

CASEY S. ELLIOTT
Staff Writer

Ohio University's president is getting a pay hike of more than $85,000, the OU Board of Trustees decided Friday.

The trustees approved a new five-year contract with President Roderick McDavis. Starting July 1, he will be making $380,000 a year. His current salary, which has been the same for the past two years, is $294,665. In addition, first lady Deborah McDavis will be making $28,114.

In announcing the decision, Board Chairman C. Daniel DeLawder said the board's executive committee debated the provisions of the new contract, and decided to remove from the contract the provision that allowed for additional incentive compensation. DeLawder said the reasoning behind the change was that the process was "subjective" in some areas, and it was difficult to determine adequate compensation for the bonus.

In 2005, McDavis was given a $41,250 bonus.

"The metrics for performance measurement are somewhat difficult" to apply to university presidents, DeLawder said. He added that it is much easier to determine incentive compensation for contracts such as chief executive officers for publicly traded companies, as it is clearly defined what goals need to be reached to get those bonuses.

"There are many subjective elements we feel exist, that do not allow us to come to an exact answer," he said.

The board's executive committee based its determination on the new salary by reviewing compensation for Group 1 faculty and presidents at OU and seven other Ohio universities - the University of Akron, Bowling Green State University, the University of Cincinnati, Kent State University, Miami University, the University of Toledo and Wright State University. DeLawder said that review noted the faculty at OU rank fourth among those institutions, and the president's salary was eighth among those institutions. Raising the president's salary to the new level, puts McDavis' salary fourth among presidential salaries in that group, which brings him in line with the faculty comparison.

DeLawder added that if Ohio State University President, E. Gordon Gee was included in that salary ranking, it would move McDavis into fifth place among the universities.

DeLawder added that Mrs. McDavis' compensation remains the same. He noted the executive committee felt that both the president and his wife serve a function in representing the university, and they felt Mrs. McDavis should continue to be compensated for it.

"We felt the president and his wife are critical elements of representing the university," he said.

The board also will begin a comprehensive review of McDavis' performance, as part of a new presidential evaluation policy the board approved at a prior meeting. As part of this review, input will be sought from various constituent groups on campus - students, faculty and staff - as well as input from Athens city officials and Ohio state officials, such as the Board of Regents.

celliott@athensmessenger.com

http://athensmessenger.com/main.asp?Sec ... M=44420.87

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Re: OU president gets nice raise wonder if the students will get

Post by abuck76 »

OU is a great school.............Can't remember when it was , a couple of yrs. ago, U.S. News and World Report had them ranked 25th best education in the country............Go Bobcats!.........(even though my heart will always be scarlet and gray).................. :12224

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

one daughter will be attending classes there a couple times a week this year and the other is thinking on doing her bachelors there....

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

He definitly does not deserve it. OU is severly lacking as a school. ONB, tell your girls to watch themselves. They school officials will lie to you or leave out vital information that you need to know about your classes. Any papers they send to Athens make sure they make plenty of copies because I guarentee they will lose them 1st and 2nd times they send them in. I just graduated from there and I got about 8 buddies that graduated from there and they all will tell you the same thing. Heck during the fall quarter al lthe education students had to have their BCIs sent to Athens so we could do observation. Everybody had to get them redone because they lost all of them. There was like 75 of us and they lost these very important documents that we needed to get in our schools to observe. There is no excuse for that.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

Great school orange-n-brown...Tell your youngin just to always double check and have his/her advisors sign off on anything......All schools have their problems..........OU is a very good school. Known for its Education and Journalism schools......Good luck to your youngin.........I have one degree from there, and my oldest daughter has one degree from there....... :12224

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

one going to be closely supervised its a program through the vocational school for teaching... the other will do online for nursing... thanks for all the info and I have heard stories about OU also... but I will tell them both that info on the papers being lost etc..

WhiteWhiskers
JV Team

Post by WhiteWhiskers »

The Russ gift freed up monies that can now be wasted in other areas. The gift is earmarked for the Engineering Dept. Now The Board doesn't have to budget for that Dept. they got a lot of money to waste!!

No university president is worth that kind of money. Not at a public university where the tax payers are footing the bill.

The bad stories of inefficient administration at OU is nothing new. I attended there 48 years ago and they were awful. Went from there to Xavier University and it was like going from hell to the promise land.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

WhiteWhiskers wrote:The Russ gift freed up monies that can now be wasted in other areas. The gift is earmarked for the Engineering Dept. Now The Board doesn't have to budget for that Dept. they got a lot of money to waste!!

No university president is worth that kind of money. Not at a public university where the tax payers are footing the bill.

The bad stories of inefficient administration at OU is nothing new. I attended there 48 years ago and they were awful. Went from there to Xavier University and it was like going from hell to the promise land.

that is what I kind of figured about the $$$ and the hell to promise land is a good one.. I'll pass that on... :122245

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

If you consider their education and experience, and what they could get in the private sector, its well worth it.............. :12224

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

Post by Mouth's Better Half »

Good school , great education --- but I have to agree with tigercannon --- we had the paperwork fiasco of our lives. Make yourself triplicate copies and have a good filing system on anything important and follow up on anything sent there. They could care less about your paperwork you have to care more than anyone.
Last edited by Mouth's Better Half on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

well guess I am only going to worry about one instead of 2 looks like one may be off to the great state of West Virginia for :122248

Return to “The Off season”