General Chat
ballparent
S

Joy Ride Ends in Death

Post by ballparent »

15-year-old charged with manslaughter in fatal crash
Jun 18, 2008 @ 12:00 AM
The Associated Press
ASHLAND -- A 15-year-old Eastern Kentucky boy has been charged with second-degree manslaughter and two counts of wanton endangerment following an accident that killed a 14-year-old girl on Monday morning.

Police say the boy, whose name was not released, was at the wheel when he lost control of the BMW he was driving in Boyd County. The vehicle struck a garage and a telephone pole during the accident.

Tiarra Nicole Phillips of Flatwoods, Ky., a passenger in the car, died at St. Mary's Medical Center after suffering head and chest injuries. Two other passengers suffered minor injuries during the accident.

The boy allegedly fled the scene following the crash and spent several hours hiding in the woods. He was eventually taken to St. Mary's with non-life threatening injuries.

Police say he could face additional charges, including leaving the scene of an accident and driving without a license.

Funeral services for Phillips, who would have been a freshman at Russell High School in the fall, are scheduled for Thursday. Services are scheduled for 2 p.m. Thursday at Miller Funeral Home. Burial will be held in Catlettsburg Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home from 6 to 8 p.m. today (Wednesday).

Rhiannon
All Conference

Re: Joy Ride Ends in Death

Post by Rhiannon »

My husband works with a man who is a volunteer firefighter who was called to the scene. Said it was really sad.

This girl is just one day older than my son. I can only imagine what her parents are going through. Prayers to all involved in this tragic story.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

tragic thoughts and prayers to all involved

valleyfan07
Varsity

Post by valleyfan07 »

soo sad! makes you give your babies an extra hug don't it!

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

send the boy to prison and throw away the key........... :12224

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Not intending to minimize Miss Phillips' death and heartbreaking loss in any way, but I think that's a little harsh, abuck76.
None of the kids in that car had a drivers license - all of them knew what they were doing was wrong - and yet they were all willing participants in this "lark".
It doesn't say so in the article quoted, but I believe [from TV coverage] that the car was stolen, "borrowed", or otherwise "taken without permission".
If the one who was driving had been the one killed, would any of the collaborating passengers have been charged with anything or faced prison sentences? They were all in on it together, and all foolishly thought taking that car for a "joy ride" was a "fun" idea! [At least that's the impression I got from TV coverage - there's been no indication that anyone was "forced" into that car].
I agree, there should be significant consequences; but I think "prison and throw away the key" is a tad excessive.

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

This action taken by the boy "driving" and "quoted" in the article makes me glad that he will be tried as an "adult" with a very "stiff" penalty...

The boy allegedly fled the scene following the crash and spent several hours hiding in the woods.

Accident aside, even the fear of punishment, would not be an excuse to leave someone, which I'm assuming was one of his friends, behind to die. I also feel that although the other teenagers may have gotten in the car willingly, there is a big difference between succumbing to peer pressure and going along for the ride, and committing grand theft auto or "borrowing" a car and then abandoning your friends.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

THIS IS SO TRAGIC TO HEAR, I HOPE HE IS TRYED AS AN ADULT. 15, IS WAY OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER. AND HE OBVIOUSLY KNEW HE HAD NO LICENSE. JUST TERRIBLE NEWS. OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT FROM HERE.

Return to “The Off season”