Hummingbirds Arriving Early

General Chat
ballparent
S

Hummingbirds Arriving Early

Post by ballparent »

John Switzer commentary: Hummingbirds arrive much earlier this year

By John Switzer

The traditional day to put out your hummingbird feeders to greet the early birds is April 15, tax day.

That would be Tuesday.

But tradition is a bit off this year. I have heard reports that the hummers already are back in central Ohio.

Mike Flynn at the Wild Birds Unlimited store on Rt. 33 just north of Hayden Run Road said customers were reporting seeing hummingbirds last week. Donna Daniel, a wildlife biologist for the Ohio Division of Wildlife, also heard similar reports.

Flynn said the birds are back a couple of weeks early for some unknown reason. He thought they would be late this year considering how consistently cool the weather has been.

"This is the earliest since I've been here," he said. He has been at the store for eight years.

Folks tracking hummingbird migration northward on the Internet said the birds got an early start. Flynn said central Ohio folks usually don't see hummingbirds until late April or early May. I usually don't get my first bird until June, and then only one or two.

The reason we usually put up the feeders April 15 is to provide a meal for an early bird migrating through on its way north.

Anyway, my feeder is out there now, but I doubt that it gets any action for a while.

Daniel also told me that the peregrine falcons that nest on the 41st floor of the Rhodes Tower had laid three eggs by Wednesday and could lay another one or two.

The female, named Scout, laid four eggs last year, but they did not hatch. Daniel said that probably was because she was so young.

This year, she laid her first egg March 29 and didn't lay the next one until April 6. Normally, the birds lay an egg every two or three days. They will incubate the eggs for about a month.

You can watch the action inside the nest box at http://www.wildohio.com.

You can get a lot of interesting birds in your yard this time of year as birds migrate to their breeding territories. I almost always get a rose-breasted grosbeak at my feeder; and the other day, I got a brown creeper, the ultimate LBJ, little brown job.

I'd never seen a creeper in my yard before. They move up and down the trunks of big trees.

On another matter, I get a lot of calls and e-mails from folks who have seen albino birds or animals. Lots of folks see white squirrels and partly white birds.

In March, when I was in Texas, I saw a completely white deer eating with some regularly colored ones. Now, I've seen piebald ones -- part white and part brown -- but never an albino deer.

On that note, I talked to Dick Sparks, who saw a white robin on the eighth green at the Chillicothe Country Club the other day. He said it had a speckled breast.

Albino birds and animals are striking; and when we see them, we just have to share the sighting with somebody.

Retired weather columnist John Switzer writes a Sunday Metro column.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Re: Hummingbirds Arriving Early

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

Thanks ballparent I forgot to ask my mommy yesterday but we only refer to them as hummers here not birds because if I say bird the lab barks to scare them off he hates birds so that way I can enjoy my hummers I need to get another feeder I had 3 fight over the one I had even though it had 6 holes they fought over one :?

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

orange-n-brown 365 wrote:Thanks ballparent I forgot to ask my mommy yesterday but we only refer to them as hummers here not birds because if I say bird the lab barks to scare them off he hates birds so that way I can enjoy my hummers I need to get another feeder I had 3 fight over the one I had even though it had 6 holes they fought over one :?

I didn't even realize about the April 15th date yet alone be prepared to put them out earlier. :122248 I don't think I ever put mine out before the first of May. I plan on finding ours and trying to get them out today.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I'M PUTTING OUT MY HUMMINGBIRD AND ORIOLE FEEDERS TODAY , OR TOMMOROW. THEY SAY IF YOU ARE HAVING TROBLE WTH , BEES, OR WASPS AT YOUR FEEDER, ATTACH A FABRIC SOFTENER SHEET. IF IN OPEN AIR , REPLACE AFTER A RAIN. . ALSO FROM BIRDS AND BLOOMS, IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE WITH DEER EATING SHRUBS OR BUSH'S. TRY A SMALL SUET CAKE WITH A BAR OF GREEN, IRISH SPRING SOAP, THAT SHOULD WORK, OR MINT OIL.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

I cannot for the life of me remember where I put the darn feeder guess I need to get a new one :122247

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

has anyone seen any yet? ma hasn't seen in at her nature window yet

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

put mine out last week and no sign of any yet

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

my mom had a hummer today :!: :122245

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I had giant red Cannis planted in my front yard till this year. Whenever they bloomed the hummingbirds would always visit then in the morning and the evening. I'm going to miss them but the section of my yard that had them is now not suitable for that purpose anymore

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

no sign of any yet

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

gotta find my feeder or stop at wally's today and get a new one

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

I know where mine's at, just haven't got around to hanging them. It's on the list, maybe it will make it to the top today.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

my list of things to do is sooooooooo long I don't know where to start :shock: missing one day throws you behind 5 days :122247

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

bought a new one@ the dollar store :122245

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

its out and ma said she had one bright and early this morning at her nature window :122245

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Alright, I got one hung up. Will probably hang a couple more when they start getting feisty with each other.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I just went and bought two from the dollar General in the burg, Had to go to Lowes and get a 6 foot pole to hang them on and the necter to put in it. Got them both up and I hope we see some in the morning.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

I have mine a shepherd's hook by my mailbox so I can see them right outside my kitchen window and my back door.. and we refer to them as hummers not birds cause Mr. George the labrador retriever does not like BIRDS :122246

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I put mine right out in front of the house so I can leave the door open, and watch out the glass screen door without scaring them.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I have been sitting here playing on the pc, and watching since 6:00 am. No action yet. The sun started shinning on them at about 6:27am. It may take a day or two but I have the camara ready.

Return to “The Off season”