When shopping for a new computer these days what kind do

General Chat
orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

When shopping for a new computer these days what kind do

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

you suggest.. I'll either give my boy my old one and get me one with A SCREEN I CAN SEE or get him one to do his school work on.. any suggestions on which kind or brand? I had Apples first loved them but lightening loved it better and then we got a compaq had nothing but problems with that one.. I obtained a older hp for my hubby just to do his paperwork on no internet stuff but is it better to have one built with what you want or is it better just to go in the store and buy one. My daughters have laptops but we really don't like them.. thanks all for your advise :aaaaa43

IHSTiger81
Riding the Bench

Re: When shopping for a new computer these days what kind do

Post by IHSTiger81 »

One of my boys has a Dell with a 19" flat screen monitor-easy to see! Never any trouble with it. But my oldest son has a laptop. But since you prefer a desktop, I don't think you can go wrong with a Dell or an HP. Now, trying to get in touch with someone that doesn't speak broken English if you need to make a service call (with Dell), is another story!

PointerFan02
Freshman Team

Post by PointerFan02 »

I have an HP, which I've never had any problems with.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I have had 2 HP's and never had a Problem with them.

Football Guru
Waterboy

Post by Football Guru »

Go to Newegg.com

Have someone who knows what their doing build the computer you want, for way cheaper then you could ever buy it from a company.

You can build an amazing computer with about 1500 dollars (Buying 1 TB HD, 4 GB of ram and a quad core processor) as opposed to higher then 3000 from dell or alienware.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

I agree. Have someone build one for you. You can get a tower built for low as $400 with 1 -2 gig of ram and a 200-250 gig hard drive (sometimes more depending how cheap the dealer can get them) . You can also still have XP put on the computer if it is built for you, which is by far much better than Vista since they have not got the bugs worked out it yet and probably won't since it has so many of them. Get and a regular video card (GeForce 7600 or better. If gaming is involved, go with a GeForce 8600 (Buy online for $99). Its what all newer games are going to recommend.Stay away from the onboard video if there is much gaming involved. The onboard takes power away from your ram. ALSO...a 500 watt power supply (Buy online for $39) is recommended for the video card I mentioned.

By buying the tower this way, you can choose the monitor of your choice. You can get cheap flat panels for up to $200, but stay away from those. They are not the clearest and normally darker. Most of the ones around $300 price range would probably suit your needs.

By going to a major dealer, you are now only able to get Vista. But like I said, it is full of problems and they are no hurry to correct them.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I got a new Dell last fall XPS dual core with 4gbs of Ram. I also got a 24" monitor with it. One thing I did is I had them load it with Windows XP instead of Vista.

I love the computer, it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO quiet!

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

Curious....price?

Return to “The Off season”