Athens County

General Chat
tomcat fan
All Conference

Athens County

Post by tomcat fan »

does Athens Co. ever go on a level 3 snow advisory? i was on my way home from Nelsonville around 9 tonight and there was about 2.5 inches of snow on rt33 and 13, and we were only on a level 1. what is usually a 20-25 minute drive turned into a 45-50 minute drive

mvlnewlex
All Conference

Re: Athens County

Post by mvlnewlex »

we need a lot more snow than a few inches to get a level 3.

I really dont like the system. it out complicates itself. If the roads are dangerous, use common sense. people need to go at their own risk.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

I can remember at least 2 times we were under a 3 I think that is the only time Hocking College and Ohio University closed

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

tomcat fan wrote:does Athens Co. ever go on a level 3 snow advisory? i was on my way home from Nelsonville around 9 tonight and there was about 2.5 inches of snow on rt33 and 13, and we were only on a level 1. what is usually a 20-25 minute drive turned into a 45-50 minute drive

i live in millfield (being from trimble i assume you know where that is) and i was on my way home from work (in athens) last night about 7:30 or so and the roads were horrendous. i stopped at a place in The Plains and had somebody with a 4x4 come get me because there's no way i was makin it the rest of the way home in my 2 wheel drive, rear wheel drive Ford Ranger. then i heard on the radio it was only a level 1 and i about flipped out. to get from athens to the plains it would normally take me about 10 minutes, it took me about a half hour last night.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

If we are under a Level 3, the only vehicles allowed on the roads are emergency personnel (police, EMS, fire, doctors/nurses driving to work, etc). If you drive on the roadways in a Level 3, you will be pulled over and ticketed if you cannot provide emergency personnel identification.

I drove home last night too from Athens to Nelsonville on 33. It took longer, but it did not warrant a Level 3 emergency I don't think. The roads were still driveable, you just had to drive slower and with caution. I drove about 35-40 MPH instead of 55 MPH.

Now I can see where back roads would be more dangerous than US 33, but you have to remember that Level 3 equates to no one allowed driving on the roads at all, and it takes more than a couple inches of snow to bring commuting to a stop.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Brutus what part of millfield do you live at? I do alot of Rabbit hunting at the mine disaster site

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

i dont live in the "main" part of millfield (if there is such a thing :lol: ). i'm closer to trimble, right across the highway from 13 Tire Shop. monserat and bell road area if you're familiar with the roads. you can see my trailer from the highway if you look up on the hill on your right as you're headed toward trimble. it's white, usually an orange car and/or maroon truck out front.

NYbuckeye, i dont think the roads last night were level 3 worthy but they certainly should have constituted a little more than a level 1. i did hear they ended up changing it to a level 2 around 10 or so.

racenut70
JV Team

Post by racenut70 »

I was in Columbus tonight(Fri.) drove through snow, sleet, and ice on different occasions. On the way home almost to Chili town, there were cars and semi's all over the road. One semi headed toward Columbus was on it's side head back toward Ironton, the other semi about 300 yrds south was jack-knifed and headed toward Ironton, there were 4-5 cars in the median and wreckers were sitting in the south bound lane getting the cars out of the median. Didn't seem to be due to ice, not sure what caused the wrecks. This was about 11:30pm. ODOT crews were everywhere. Does ice covered roads cause a level 2?

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

The roads are REALLY bad , My brother was in a wreck earlier, and I went down , there nothing but Ice , The Trooper who showed up a upset that we were still on a level one, While he was there he got a call about 6 more wrecks.

Return to “The Off season”