The razing of dear old Ironton High

General Chat
Pocket Aces
S

The razing of dear old Ironton High

Post by Pocket Aces »

New schools will be nice....but still, it is kinda, sorta difficult watching the high school be demolished.

It was dark when I drove by this evening, but it looked like Mr. Humphrey's Science classroom fell today.

Baby Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Baby Duck »

Yes, I seen Mrs. Hannons old room is gone. Very sad :( Are they going to be able to keep the front?

henrysteele
JV Team

Post by henrysteele »

During their 2007 visit, the coaches from Olentangy Liberty told me that their players and staff were quite impressed with the entire campus at Ironton High. It was their first visit to town and they loved our high school and football stadium.

I told the coaches to take a good look at the place, because it will never look like this again. One coach said, "Oh, no. You aren't putting up one of those little cookie-cutter buildings like we see all over Columbus. We see those type of places every week. They all look the same...no character. Your district is making a big mistake."

For those folks from Ironton that have NOT seen the Olentangy Liberty district, it is likely the richest school district Ironton has ever visited....maybe one of the richest in all of Ohio.

If those rich folks from Delaware County liked our facilities so much, maybe there was something special about Dear Old Ironton High.

tigermama
Varsity

Post by tigermama »

I believe that the students of the Ironton district deserve the finest education they can get but it really hurts to see the school go down. I really wish there would have been some way to renovate it. :cry:

Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

On a positive note: It will be great for the kids and Staff to have the upgrade they deserve :-D

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Very sad to see the School torn down.

Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

Very happy to have new schools on the way.

Focused
SEOPS

Post by Focused »

Mixed emotions? :-D :cry:
That's o.k. Nothing wrong with that.

Never Had One Lesson
Waterboy

Hail to you . . .

Post by Never Had One Lesson »

I'm happy too, but is hard to watch it go down.

cows and chickuns
Varsity

Post by cows and chickuns »

henrysteele wrote:During their 2007 visit, the coaches from Olentangy Liberty told me that their players and staff were quite impressed with the entire campus at Ironton High. It was their first visit to town and they loved our high school and football stadium.

I told the coaches to take a good look at the place, because it will never look like this again. One coach said, "Oh, no. You aren't putting up one of those little cookie-cutter buildings like we see all over Columbus. We see those type of places every week. They all look the same...no character. Your district is making a big mistake."

For those folks from Ironton that have NOT seen the Olentangy Liberty district, it is likely the richest school district Ironton has ever visited....maybe one of the richest in all of Ohio.

If those rich folks from Delaware County liked our facilities so much, maybe there was something special about Dear Old Ironton High.

I think the school is very nice on the outside, but the inside is the exact opposite. The inside is what needed to be updated, I think the new schools will be great. I'm sure that these new schools will be very nice, not only on the outside, but the inside as well.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

New dont mean better it usually just means more expensive.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Had money not been an object, it would have been obviously the best and wisest choice to have renovated the old building. Built like a tank and dripping with character, this building would have lasted another 1 to 2 hundred more years with proper care but when the state rescinded on their offer to pay for more of the construction on a renovation, I understand it was the only thing that could be done

Rhiannon
All Conference

Post by Rhiannon »

cows and chickuns wrote:
henrysteele wrote:During their 2007 visit, the coaches from Olentangy Liberty told me that their players and staff were quite impressed with the entire campus at Ironton High. It was their first visit to town and they loved our high school and football stadium.

I think the school is very nice on the outside, but the inside is the exact opposite. The inside is what needed to be updated, I think the new schools will be great. I'm sure that these new schools will be very nice, not only on the outside, but the inside as well.

Nice post cows. Folks cows is a student and I think he deserves the best.

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

tigercannon71 wrote:New dont mean better it usually just means more expensive.

More expensive would have been to keep her and renovate.

Never Give Up!
orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

I hate to see the old ones go down my ole elementary in Vinton County was slated for the wrecking ball.. some buildings are still nice but I understand why they need to go I only wish Nelsonville had been made to tear down the old JR. High buildings and the elementary on the hill since they were supposed to be dangerous to be in :?

We are in the middle of renevations at N-Y can't wait for them to actually start the jr. high building :-D

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

"Remember this, the choices you make in life, make you"

- John Wooden

"Champions never complain, they are too busy getting better."

- unknown

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

tigermama wrote:... I really wish there would have been some way to renovate it. :cry:

I think there was. An article appeared in the Herald-Dispatch on Saturday, April 22, 2006, entitled "Ironton's historic schools must be preserved for future"; written by Royce A. Yeater, Midwest director of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. I don't recall seeing a similar article in the Tribune, although I could have missed it.

Since the point is moot, I will skip the details of the article. After reading it, however, it is my opinion that if the right people would have been interested, renovation would have been a very viable possibility.

Pocket Aces
S

Post by Pocket Aces »

I really didn't intend for this thread to rehash the debate over the new schools.

The fact is, I voted for the new schools and encouraged everyone I knew to do so.

That being said, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with still being sad to see the building be torn down.....

Think of it as analogous to having to say goodbye to a new car that had been very good to you through the years, but was a shell of its former self and needed to be put down.....it's still sad to watch the junkyard trash the vehicle, eh?

Joe Strummer
Freshman Team

Post by Joe Strummer »

To further the analogy; if you didn't keep up the maintenance on your car, would you expect your neighbors to buy you a new one?

Pocket Aces
S

Post by Pocket Aces »

Joe Strummer wrote:To further the analogy; if you didn't keep up the maintenance on your car, would you expect your neighbors to buy you a new one?

:lol:

That's kind of apples and oranges regarding the price involved......BUT.......if the neighbors didn't like the small price to pay for the improvement of the neighborhood, they could always move.

;-)

itowngirl
Waterboy

Re: Hail to you . . .

Post by itowngirl »

Never Had One Lesson wrote:I'm happy too, but is hard to watch it go down.

Thanks NHOL- your poem says everything so well!! :)

Return to “The Off season”