bigIman
Waterboy

SMOKING?

Post by bigIman »

JUST YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT IT

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

Last edited by Philos_Finest on Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

Philos_Finest...

High blood pressure can be hereditary. You said your dad has it, another family member has. Your uncle. Possibly your grandparents or great grandparents had it as well? It is also known to skip a generation.

You are lucky to find that you have it at such a young age. I know it is also a burden. But...You could be among the millions of people that do not realize they have it or had it for several years.

There are many foods that you would not think contributes to high blood pressure. Can't remember off hand what they are, but I do know greasy foods and salt is some of them. Salt is used in nearly everything that is bought in cans in a grocery store. Plus if you add it to your food, you are at least doubling your salt intake.

And if you happen to eat Polly's cooking,...well...she uses salt while cooking as well. (At least her food and prices are good :-D )

But another thing I know is that many causes of high blood pressure is unknown.

Being a 3 sports athlete for the Electrics, I cannot see weight being a problem. Working out strenuosly like you may be doing in these sports, may be the wrong type of "exercise" to keep it under control. So you may have to change something in you free time to control it.

If that does not work, then medication will be the way to go on this. You are young yet. So get it under control as soon as possible.

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

GAHS...I'm not over weight(i'm 5'10 & weigh 160) but i do eat a lot of canned food. Like Chickin Noodle Soup mostly. I eat 3 meals a day & rarely do i mix in snacks. & I hardly ever add salt if at all. I do eat a lot of canned fruit, would they have sodium in them? I think i will start writing down all the sodium & everything i eat.

Runner.... I do happen to eat at Polly's almost every morning before Soccer practice, it's amazing & so are the prices like you said. I'll start to tell her not to add any salt to anything. Also, what kind of exercises would you suggest to keep it down?

Jethro
JV Team

Post by Jethro »

Why does it matter! Second hand smoking kills as will. And, if the smoke bothers you, you should have to have it around you.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

Runner, salt only bothers those who are 'salt sensitive' they tell all people who are having BP problems to cut back on their salt as it's not known who is, and who isn't, salt sensitive. Either you are, or you're not.

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
Irontonian
Freshman Team

Re: ...

Post by Irontonian »

Philos_Finest wrote:going along with the blood pressure....

I don't understand how i have it at such a young age(i'm still in high school), I've never touched a cigerette, drug, no one in my family smokes. I'm a 3 sport athlete(soccer,basketball,baseball) & i bike a lot with my dad who is 50 & also has it. He to has never touched a cigerette or drug for as long as i've known him. He also bikes atleast 2 hours everyday. It's not really heredity because only my uncle(on my moms side) has it. We both eat healthy. Does anyone know how to get it down without taking pills?(i take enough as it is, one for my back which i messed up last summer pitching, one for migranes & one for personal reasons)

Maybe it is a side effect of one of your other meds! Thats very common, might want to check with your pharmacist or MD. Also there are some meds that people take for "personal reasons" you SHOULD NOT lower your salt intake if you are talking these specific meds...it can be real dangerous!!!! I have been a nurse for 8 years so if you wanna know more about meds I can fill you in.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

Tucky...the VA said nothing about salt sensitive (new one on me). They simply said anything over 2000 mg is too much for anyone; blood pressure or not.

GAHS, there's different camps on this issue. The truth of the matter is, for those people who have high BP they tell them to dramatically reduce their salt intake..only about 60% of those people will it actually help (those who are salt sensitive) to lower their BP, some it will actually increase (slightly) their BP. You can google salt sensitive and find many credible sources that have widely differing views on the issue. I think that to ask many to *dramatically* lower their salt intake who are healthy otherwise is kinda like all the fiber hype of the 80's and early 90's and colon cancer. Then again, that's just my opinion but it's probably as good as anyone else's at this time.

The last two times my BP has been checked it was 120 over 80 and 170 over 72 but I still try to not eat a lot of salt on my food, why? I don't want to become accustomed to eating a lot of salt and then maybe have to give it up some day if it becomes a problem. That, and I'm just not all that crazy about salt or butter. I eat baked potatoes dry and corn on the cob the same way. I like it that way

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

haha well the personal meds i just started taking like a month ago & it just makes my stool softer because 2 months ago they thought i might have colon cancer because i blood in my "waste" but it turns out my stool was to hard & it just makes it softer. just incase you were wondering ;-) & i've took the other 2 pills for almost all of my life & i just started having HBP in the last 5-6 months.

But thanks for the tips & everything everyone, i appreciate it.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

GAHS always sits on a padded stool, he says that the wooden ones are just too hard. He's old, you know?

TerryGirl
Riding the Bench

Post by TerryGirl »

gahs4ever wrote:For my part I wish they would ban smoking in this country is only for what the rising health care costs are doing to my insurance rates.

The last survey I saw said that obesity is now the leading cause for rising health care costs and higher insurance rates but it isn't politically correct to talk about the "F" word
I would imagine there are many times more overweight people on here than there are smokers.
I fit into both categories.... how about you??
C'mon everybody, 'fess up now.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

Too tall are you Gahs? how tall should someone be at your age to be on the chart?

cant stop this
All State

Post by cant stop this »

yes it should be banned in all states

TerryGirl
Riding the Bench

Post by TerryGirl »

cant stop this wrote:yes it should be banned in all states

I agree. Obesity should be banned in all states.

TerryGirl
Riding the Bench

Post by TerryGirl »

TerryGirl wrote:
gahs4ever wrote:For my part I wish they would ban smoking in this country is only for what the rising health care costs are doing to my insurance rates.

The last survey I saw said that obesity is now the leading cause for rising health care costs and higher insurance rates but it isn't politically correct to talk about the "F" word

See what I mean??? Everybody condems the "S" people but they just make jokes and dance around the "O" situation, which is costing them more.

Total bunch of hypocrites. (or should that be "hippo-crits")

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

People being fat doesn't effect my health, people smoking around me does. Big difference.

Deep_Storm_Creek
Waterboy

Post by Deep_Storm_Creek »

Ife they fall on ya - your health could be effected. :lol:

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

kantucky wrote:GAHS always sits on a padded stool, he says that the wooden ones are just too hard. He's old, you know?

lol, yes i do know. :lol:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i don't like having to put up with cigarette smoke period. :oops: :oops: :oops:

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i don't like having to put up with cigarette smoke period. :oops: :oops: :oops:

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

Return to “The Off season”