I'M LEAVING SEOPS, I CAN'T TAKE IT.

General Chat
Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

If its the entire computer....slow opening folders and files....do a defrag of the computer....

TURN OFF SCREENSAVER..Then go to... Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter
...... Once the defragger comes up, click "Defrag Now" and let run. It may take several hours depending on how much stuff you have on the computer and the size of the hard drive.

As for doing a restore back a before the trouble began...if there is a virus, more than likely it will only move to another location. Some viruses are written so they will break into parts during a normal restore and be all through the computer. (I learned that the hard way a few years ago)

If everything that has been mentioned fails....and the PC has XP, he may be able to do a "complete" system restore which would put the pc back the way it was when it came off of the shelf. It will put the operating system and all the demo stuff back on your hard drive. Most pcs built over the past few years has this built in feature.

I would do that as a last resort though...just prior to taking it to a shop. It would save some big bucks. However.....everything.... will be erased that has ever been saved or installed (EXCEPT the operating system). So back up everything you have saved to disk.

Programs will need to be completely installed again. But if there is a virus. it will definately be removed

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

YTB is it your whole computer or just things on the internet?

If it's just internet stuff it might just be yo9ur connection and you would need to call your provider

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

Also..If it an internet problem only..... and not the rest of the computer....and you have a cable or DSL modem....

1 - Shut down computer (all computers if you have more than 1)
2 - Unplug the power cord from your modem (and the router if you have one)
3 - Leave everything this way for 1 minute
4 - Plug modem back in and wait for all blinking lights to come back on and stay solid.
5 - If you have router, plug it back in after modem lights are solid. Wait about 30 seconds.
6 - Restart the computer

Sometimes rebooting the entire system this way will speed the internet back up for you. If its does not, and folders and files open normally, then Mom may be right. Its possibly a service problem. This should be done at least twice a month for anyone using a cable or DSL modem.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I will keep that in mind if we ever gtr lucky enough to get that fancy high speed stuff around here

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

then again..one man leaving was probably better than the 2 dozen or so that we're going to leave if he didn't. Better to lose one and not 24 ;-)

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:NOW HIRING------------------- HELP PLEASE. INQUIRE WITHIN. :-D

How much does it pay?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

NEGOTIABLE, BUT I'M DESPERATE. I'VE NOT LEFT , IT'S JUST NO FUN, WHEN YOU CAN KNOCK OUT 4 POSTS AN HOUR, HITTING THE REFRESH BUTTON, AT THAT. I MISS TALKIN TO MY BUDS. :shock:

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

YTB....If your problem ends up being a hardware problem, it will be better to look for someone that builds computers and have them build you one with XP installed instead of repairing one that is as old as the one you have. Stay away from the major dealers (Best Buy, Staples, etc) if at all possible because they all sale Vista on the new computers which is not a good operating system at all.....yet.

There should be someone in your area that builds pc's. Just look "computers" up in the phone book to find an small buisness that does so. You should be able to buy a decent computer with and 80-120 gig hard drive, 512 ram and at least a 3 gig processor for about $400 or less without a monitor. If your monitor is still good, that will save you a couple hundred dollars.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:NEGOTIABLE, BUT I'M DESPERATE. I'VE NOT LEFT , IT'S JUST NO FUN, WHEN YOU CAN KNOCK OUT 4 POSTS AN HOUR, HITTING THE REFRESH BUTTON, AT THAT. I MISS TALKIN TO MY BUDS. :shock:

you know, if you open up two browser windows at a time, this shouldn't be that bad for you with your one finger hunt 'n peck typing..you could submit one while you're typing the other..by the time the first is finished uploading, you'll be ready to send the next and start another.

I think that Mattash has you throttled back if I'm not mistaken. He can do that I think in the section where he edits..he clicks beside your name and then limits the number of post for the day..that sounds official

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

YTB missed your call sorry can't answer my phone here at home not enough signal... things may be looking up starting tomorrow if you can PM your e-mail address its easier for me to put all this writing than talk about it right now! Thanks!! For your concern :-D

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

"Remember this, the choices you make in life, make you"

- John Wooden

"Champions never complain, they are too busy getting better."

- unknown

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

mam, you now have mail. :-D

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

How old is your computer?

What kind is it?

Do you have all the software discs that came with it?

Return to “The Off season”