Dear Old Ironton High School

General Chat
The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:I'M ALL FOR THE NEW SCHOOL, THE OLD ONE WAS , WELL VERY OLD. BUT THE FACT IS , IT WAS NEVER MAINTAINED PROPERLY, OR IT WOULD STILL BE STANDING. LOOK AT THESE IVY LEAGUE SCHOOL BIULDINGS , SEVERAL HUNDRED YEARS OLD, BUT THEY WERE MAINTAINED. -------- BUT SINCE IT'S BEING TORN DOWN, HEAVEN KNOWS IT MUST BE SECURE AND SAFE, BUT WHY NOT HAVE THE TRADITIONAL ENTRANCE ON THE FRONT, AS INSTRUCTOR SAYS. THE IDEA WAS , AT LEAST WHAT I HEARD, WAS TO KEEP IT VERY NEARLY, LIKE THE OLD SCHOOL IN APPEARENCE. THIS WILL BE TOTYALLY DIFFERENT THAN I THOUGHT. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Exactly!!

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

Weis-guys wrote:The reason for the entrance being changed to Heplar Street is for several reasons 1) being that the buses are normally parked on that side, and 2) for security reasons.

In the old high school had 22 different doorways that could be entered or exited at anytime of the day. There's no way you can monitor who comes in and out of the building.

The administrative offices (principal and booty't principal, main office, etc) will be the at the new main entrance...this way the school has a better way of knowing who comes in and out of the building.

The 7th Street side will be for show, but can still be used for things such as the grand march at prom.

Who cares how many doorways there will be?

That really doesn't matter.

Have you heard of a little word called technology?

We have several doors where I work.

All of them are locked automatically at 8:00 A.M.

To get into the building after that time, you have to go to the main entrance and see the receptionist.

All of the staff members have key cards so they can get in any entrance that has an automatic handicapped opener after the doors are locked.

Technology is wonderful!!!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

The Instructor wrote:
Weis-guys wrote:The reason for the entrance being changed to Heplar Street is for several reasons 1) being that the buses are normally parked on that side, and 2) for security reasons.

In the old high school had 22 different doorways that could be entered or exited at anytime of the day. There's no way you can monitor who comes in and out of the building.

The administrative offices (principal and booty't principal, main office, etc) will be the at the new main entrance...this way the school has a better way of knowing who comes in and out of the building.

The 7th Street side will be for show, but can still be used for things such as the grand march at prom.

To get into the building after that time, you have to go to the main entrance and see the receptionist.

All of the staff members have key cards so they can get in any entrance that has an automatic handicapped opener after the doors are locked.

what a wondeful school you must teach at ;-)

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

biggdowgg wrote:
The Instructor wrote:

what a wondeful school you must teach at ;-)

Yes, it is a wonderful place.

I have many friends there too. ;-)

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

I watched them working on the demo of the school yesterday along with several others....I'd be very surprised if the front of the building can be saved....

It looks like the big old ugly dish will be going down within the next couple of day....
Last edited by ghostwriter on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

I am glad the dish is going soon.

So, what is the back up plan in case the front can't be saved?

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

The Dish was gone when I went buy around 9:00am....

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

I'm glad the Dish finally dried.As Instructor pointed out it still looked tacky.

Never Give Up!
The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

ghostwriter wrote:The Dish was gone when I went buy around 9:00am....

AMEN!!

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

The front entrance of Good Old Ironton High has/will be saved....

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

ghostwriter wrote:The front entrance of Good Old Ironton High has/will be saved....

I sure hope so.

It looks wounded now.

I can't stand to look at the poor thing so I avoid driving by it.

I never thought it would affect me this way.

Anyway, I want to see it look distinguished again.

gotigers
Freshman Team

Post by gotigers »

The Instructor wrote:
You're Tiger Bait wrote:I'M ALL FOR THE NEW SCHOOL, THE OLD ONE WAS , WELL VERY OLD. BUT THE FACT IS , IT WAS NEVER MAINTAINED PROPERLY, OR IT WOULD STILL BE STANDING. LOOK AT THESE IVY LEAGUE SCHOOL BIULDINGS , SEVERAL HUNDRED YEARS OLD, BUT THEY WERE MAINTAINED. -------- BUT SINCE IT'S BEING TORN DOWN, HEAVEN KNOWS IT MUST BE SECURE AND SAFE, BUT WHY NOT HAVE THE TRADITIONAL ENTRANCE ON THE FRONT, AS INSTRUCTOR SAYS. THE IDEA WAS , AT LEAST WHAT I HEARD, WAS TO KEEP IT VERY NEARLY, LIKE THE OLD SCHOOL IN APPEARENCE. THIS WILL BE TOTYALLY DIFFERENT THAN I THOUGHT. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Exactly!!

You all are griping just to be griping! How many people actually enter through the front doors? Not many at all. The students enter from two locations and always have. The new gym if you drove to school, because that is where the parking lot was or the much malined Heplar Street side entrance since that is where the buses parked. Oh, I almost forgot the teachers who entered in the back near the autoshop since that is where they parked. Who used the front entrance besides Giovannis when they brought my lunch?

BTW...It is sad for me to see the school where 4 generations of my family has attended being torn down too, but what is best for the 5th generation?

The Instructor wrote:Who cares how many doorways there will be?

A parent today would care how many doors there are in the school because of all the wierdos and psychos out there, but does it really matter what is best for the kids? They couldn't even get central air or the roof to stop leaking in the auditorium and you think they could have upgraded the technology to get the doors to lock automatically?

Which is more important to you all: the kids or your feelings?

GO TIGERS!!!

GO TIGERS!!!
The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

gotigers wrote:
The Instructor wrote:

Exactly!!

You all are griping just to be griping! How many people actually enter through the front doors? Not many at all. The students enter from two locations and always have. The new gym if you drove to school, because that is where the parking lot was or the much malined Heplar Street side entrance since that is where the buses parked. Oh, I almost forgot the teachers who entered in the back near the autoshop since that is where they parked. Who used the front entrance besides Giovannis when they brought my lunch?

BTW...It is sad for me to see the school where 4 generations of my family has attended being torn down too, but what is best for the 5th generation?

The Instructor wrote:Who cares how many doorways there will be?

A parent today would care how many doors there are in the school because of all the wierdos and psychos out there, but does it really matter what is best for the kids? They couldn't even get central air or the roof to stop leaking in the auditorium and you think they could have upgraded the technology to get the doors to lock automatically?

Which is more important to you all: the kids or your feelings?

GO TIGERS!!!

It isn't that hard to do it. :roll:

Wherever there is a handicapped entrance, a key card opens the doors.

We have it in our building. All the doors are locked except the front entrance.

Technology is wonderful!

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

Great post gotigers. The best that I have read on this site thus far.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

somebody told me today it was all the way down, is that the case, or not. or is the front still there. as a parent, i always entered througfh the front. i was not expecting to keep the old front, but i thought it was suppossed to be rebuilt the same as the old one. i'm all for the new school.
Last edited by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:somebody told me today it was all the way down, is that the case, or not. or is the front still there.

I don't know.

I stay away from it.

It looks wounded and I can't stand it.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

i'm not complaining about building new schools, i'm all for that, i just thought it was suppossed to look the same, or extremely similiar.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

I am not against building them either.

I just want it to look like Dear Old Ironton High and not some generic building.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

me three.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

YTB, I drove by it this evening and the middle front part is still there.

Return to “The Off season”