Canceled TV shows....

General Chat
The_Legend_of_Northwest
All State

Re: Canceled TV shows....

Post by The_Legend_of_Northwest »

I was just wandering what is dangerous nielsens ratings for a show? 5 million viewers? 8 million?

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

The_Legend_of_Northwest wrote:I was just wandering what is dangerous nielsens ratings for a show? 5 million viewers? 8 million?

It depends upon the network, sponsorship, time of day or evening, day of week, and month, lead-in show, demographic of viewership, & cost of making the show. (Actors'/actress' salaries increase with each season a show stays on!)

A viewership in prime time of 3 million, with about 50% of them being young females is very acceptable for a CW network show, but a real dud for CBS. Usually, a viewership of at least 6 million is barely acceptable for a weeknight prime time show for NBC, CBS, or ABC, & about 5 million for Fox. However, a viewership of 7 million for a Fox show following "American Idol"(usual viewership about 23 million) would be unacceptable, as that would reveal a viewership of less than 1/3 of the "Idol" viewers staying to watch it.

The show "Kings" had a decent viewership, but it cost a lot to make, so when it failed to become a superhit, it was cancelled.

"Reality" shows cost a lot less to make, thus their popularity with the nets, but when they are as lame as some of the trash we've seen the last few years, the SPONSORS pull out & the show is quickly yanked.

Summertime, the viewership of most nets is little over half that of fall & winter. Most "regular" shows are 'on hiatus' during summer.

I hope that explains some of the factors behind the nets' decisions to keep or cancel their shows. There are other factors, such as the personal likes & dislikes of the network suits, or their friendship with the producers of certain shows, but these are minor compared to the ones I mentioned above.

The_Legend_of_Northwest
All State

Post by The_Legend_of_Northwest »

Thanks for the info

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

The_Legend_of_Northwest wrote:Thanks for the info

You're welcome!

New cancellation....TNT has cancelled "Raising The Bar" after 2 seasons. There are 3 eps still in the can, but so far TNT hasn't given an airing date for them.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

CBS has cancelled the venerable soap, "As The World Turns". It will continue to air through September, 2010. its producers are looking for another net to carry it, but seeing as how the oldest show of all, "Guiding Light", couldn't find another outlet, I doubt that ATWT will, either.

After 75 years, Proctor & Gamble will no longer be sponsoring a daytime drama.

This is the beginning of the end for the "soap opera", I'm afraid. The women who made up mosta their viewerships are not watching that much TV in the AM hours as they once did.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

NBC is ending the "Bonnie Hunt Show" after this season, but it will complete its scheduled run, I believe, thru this spring.

Ridgerunner1
Riding the Bench

Post by Ridgerunner1 »

I know its been gone for a while but The Unit was a good TV show. It did well in the ratings but CBS kept moving it around making it hard to find.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Ridgerunner1 wrote:I know its been gone for a while but The Unit was a good TV show. It did well in the ratings but CBS kept moving it around making it hard to find.

Yeah, for some reason, CBS never had much faith in it.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

In a reversal of roles, the HBO series "Flight Of The Conchords" was cancelled by its principal actors and creators after they finished its 2nd season. HBO was ready to air season Three had it been made. Usually it's the net cancelling the show, not the makers of the show.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Comedy Central has cancelled the "Jeff Dunham Show", but it plans to do other shows with the ventriloquist and his friends.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Last April, Dawn Ostroff, the disastrous director pf programming of the CW, announced that it would be airing "Blonde Charity Mafia", a show about three Washington DC socialites who pretty much dominate DC's social charity events, along with a reality show, "Hitched Or Ditched". However, the reality show was horrible; it never shoulda aired, and the net held up running BCM until the summer season was over.
Now it appears that the CW has decided not to air BCM at all. Somehow, I don't think too many folx give a hoot.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

"Hannah Montana" will be ending after its upcoming season which is now being filmed. Like all shows about pre-teens, it must end cuz its star9s) grow up. Miley Cyrus is now age 17, & this'll be the 4th year of the show. And Miley herself wanted to end the show for many of the same reasons & her wish to move on to different things without being stereotyped.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Lifetime has cancelled "Rita Rocks", their sitcom about a mom who starts her own garage band. Low Neilsens spelled Doomsville.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

BIG news!

NBC has cancelled "The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien" in a not-really-surprising move when Leno's 10 PM show tanked & Letterman was consistently outdrawing O' Brien in the Neilsens. NBC is planning to return Horse Head to "Tonight" where he was once king of late nite TV. As for O'Brien, expect him to exit NBC; Fox has been seeking his services, & the way now appears clear for him to head there.

whitey
Riding the Bench

Post by whitey »

Conan is too good for NBC anyways.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

whitey wrote:Conan is too good for NBC anyways.

He may end up at Fox.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Good News for "Trauma" fans! Apparently, the show will be back on March 8, with ten new eps. They're giving it another chance to build an acceptable viewership. If ya like the show, please let NBC know.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

This will be "Ugly Betty's last season. But what the hey; UB had a 4-yr. run, which is more than 99.9 % of shows stay on!

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Loox as if "American Chopper" on TLC is history after feb. 11. The Teutul family simply had too many internal squabbles for the show to go on.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Fox quickly dumped "Past Life", which I saw only part of 1 ep; it stunk, so I changed channels.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/past-life-cancelled/

Return to “The Off season”