What Gay Marriage Is Really About...

General Chat
kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

What Gay Marriage Is Really About...

Post by kantuckyII »

...it's not that two people of the same sex can be married but forcing those of us who believe it isn't possible or it's never right...to accept it. Here's an example of what I've been saying all along. They want people to not only accept it but comply with it..same way with abortion, this administration seeks those who believe it is morally wrong, murder, to now pay for abortions as well. This is absolutely not acceptable
A Christian baker is under a state investigation in Oregon after he refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.

The Oregon Attorney General is investigating Aaron Klein, the owner of Sweet Cakes by Melissa. Klein reportedly refused to make a wedding cake for two lesbians.

Klein, who is a Christian, told the couple that he would not sell them a cake based on his religious beliefs that marriage should be between one man and one woman. “I believe marriage is a religious institution between a man and woman as stated in the Bible,” Klein told the Portland Oregonian. “When someone tells me that their definition is something different, I strongly disagree. I don’t think I should be penalized for that.”

One of the women filed a complaint alleging that his actions violated the Oregon Equality Act. If the baker is found guilty, he could face $50,000 in fines.

Religious beliefs don’t outweigh state law, attorney Matthew Ellis told the Portland Tribune.

“They have the right to refuse service, so long as it’s not based on race, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation or disability,” he told the newspaper. Klein said the bakery is a family-owned business. Their website includes a Bible passage from the New Testament — John 3:16.“I apologized for wasting their time and said we don’t do same-sex marriages,” he told television station KATU. “I honestly did not mean to hurt anybody, didn’t mean to make anybody upset, (it’s) just something I believe in very strongly.”

Klein told Fox 12 he ”should not be compelled to violate my conscience,”

“If I’m told I have to make a wedding cake for a same-sex marriage, I feel that I’m violating my beliefs,” he told Fox. “I don’t think I should have to do that.” Klein said he’s got no problem serving gay customers – but he draws the line at creating wedding cakes for gay nuptials. He told Fox 12 his faith in Christ outweighs state law — and if push came to shove – he would be willing to lose his business and face whatever penalties they state might levy. “I’d rather stand up for what I believe in and what I feel is right and get totally annihilated when it comes in the end than to bow down to this and say ‘go ahead,’” he said. “Because that sets the standard for the next one, the next one, and the next one.”

“If I have to be to, I guess, be penalized for my beliefs, then I guess, well, that’ll be what it is,” he told the television station. “My First Amendment rights allow me to practice my religion as I see it.”

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Re: What Gay Marriage Is Really About...

Post by Tigercannon71 »

So you get in trouble for supposedly pushing your religion on them yet they can push gayness on you without repercussions? Yup, sounds logical to me.

Der_Kommissar1968
JV Team

Post by Der_Kommissar1968 »

It's just the cost of doing business in interstate commerce. Once you engage in it, you've subjected yourself to equal protection laws, just like everyone else.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Der_Kommissar1968 wrote:It's just the cost of doing business in interstate commerce. Once you engage in it, you've subjected yourself to equal protection laws, just like everyone else.

Agreed. If he didn't want to serve a black guy, is that ok?

Remember the "IRISH NEED NOT APPLY" signs that were common in early US history?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

BOlogna!

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:
Der_Kommissar1968 wrote:It's just the cost of doing business in interstate commerce. Once you engage in it, you've subjected yourself to equal protection laws, just like everyone else.

Agreed. If he didn't want to serve a black guy, is that ok?

Remember the "IRISH NEED NOT APPLY" signs that were common in early US history?

Totally different. They guy turned down a job because he didnt feel comfortable with the job being a gay wedding. Its not like hes refusing to serve gays at his bakery or anything. He just doesnt want to be associated with a gay wedding. Its his business he should be allowed to do that. To compare this with not serving blacks or irish is ridiculous.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

the movement is about silencing the church IMO .

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

If you have a business, you cannot pick and choose who you will or will not serve.

If he feels so strongly about this, he should close his business and go work for someone else.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:Agreed. If he didn't want to serve a black guy, is that ok?
No, that would not be ok. If it was, the guy would a racist. Since gayness is not a race or anything close to it, any owner of a private business, as long it not a restaurant (in 21 states) has a right to refuse gay customers, the same way a business can refuse service to someone not wearing a shirt or shoes. A bakery does not fall under the label of a restaurant. 29 states still allow for restaurants as well as any privately owned business to refuse service to gays.

Its funny how the ones on the left always bring up something racial when it comes to gays. They must take their worthless lessons from abuck since he does the same thing :roll:
Last edited by Runner on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:If you have a business, you cannot pick and choose who you will or will not serve.

If he feels so strongly about this, he should close his business and go work for someone else.

So you're saying if I have a tshirt business and the KKK comes in and asks if Ill make tshirts for their rally I cant respectfully decline?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

rack !

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

If...if, you've ever been on the fence on whether you should fight against homosexual marriages then this thread should settle that issue for you once and for all and you'll KNOW you need to fight it's legality in America. Right here, you can plainly see that not only will the GOV possibly force you to accept it, you'll suffer if you do not do so! I've said for years that there is a hidden agenda in legalizing gay marriage and it IS to to try to force people to accept it who will not do so.

A cake maker today..what's next? ...preachers and priest fined or possibly imprisoned for preaching their Bible? It's coming boys and girls and if we don't rise up, we'll have no one but to blame but ourselves!

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

It is a secular issue as Government is secular..........The 14th amendment is the basis........You on the religious right want the rights guarenteed you when you want them, and only for the people YOU decide should have them..........The 14th amendment covers everyone, as it should be......We still have a little more road to travel to get total equal rights for Gay men and women, but Equal Rights for people of color took many years as well as for women.........It will happen once some dinosaurs are gone........Equal Rights means just that..EQUAL............. :12224

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

This is even worse than I thought...now, they're going to come after him because he simply quoted a Biblical reference as to why he's opposed to this. I'm telling you, people better be listening..better get involved and stop this stuff now before it goes any further. It's like America is walking into quick sand and she's still only knee deep..if she turns, she'll be ok but if we keep walking in over our head...there WILL BE NO turning back..

An Oregon man may have broken the law and is facing a state investigation after refusing to bake a cake for a same-sex couple’s wedding, KATU reports.

KGW has details on the story:

It started on Jan. 17 when a mother and daughter showed up at Sweet Cakes by Melissa looking for the perfect wedding cake.
“My first question is what’s the wedding date,” said owner Aaron Klein. “My next question is bride and groom’s name … the girl giggled a little bit and said it’s two brides.”
Klein apologized to the women and told them he and his wife do not make cakes for same-sex marriages. Klein said the women were disgusted and walked out.
“I believe that marriage is a religious institution ordained by God,” said Klein. “A man should leave his mother and father and cling to his wife … that to me is the beginning of marriage.”
[...]
“I’d rather have my kids see their dad stand up for what he believes in then to see him bow down because one person complained.”

One of the women filed a complaint on January 28– also saying Klein referred to them as “abominations unto the Lord”– and now the Oregon Attorney General’s civil enforcement officers are investigating the claim.

But Klein says he never used harsh language and has no problem with homosexuals; he just doesn’t want to be a part of their marriage.

“I honestly did not mean to hurt anybody, didn’t mean to make anybody upset, [it’s] just something I believe in very strongly,” he told KATU.

When asked whether he’d be willing to lose his business over the matter, Klein said: “If I have to be to, I guess, be penalized for my beliefs, then I guess, well, that’ll be what it is.”

The case now presents a unique legal dilemma, according to reports, since Oregon law forbids discrimination based on sexual orientation, and the U.S. Constitution protects Klein’s freedom of religion.

Klein has two weeks to file his official account what happened before the attorney general’s office decides how to proceed.

KATU has more on the story, including an interview with Klein:

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

abuck76 wrote:It is a secular issue as Government is secular..........The 14th amendment is the basis........You on the religious right want the rights guarenteed you when you want them, and only for the people YOU decide should have them..........The 14th amendment covers everyone, as it should be......We still have a little more road to travel to get total equal rights for Gay men and women, but Equal Rights for people of color took many years as well as for women.........It will happen once some dinosaurs are gone........Equal Rights means just that..EQUAL............. :12224

LIAR!

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

We, as a nation, having fighting religious bigots since we just thinking about being a country...........Irrational voices always come out when someone wants their rights too.........The Constitution as a SECULAR document, gives equal rights, guaranteed under the 14th amendment........Thank God, and you are right about one thing tuck.......There is no turning back.....This country has struggled for too long to turn back on equality......Our framers would turn over in their grave listening to people who would at the drop of a hat, give up the Constitution for something that is not a basis of our Government......The topic says, what gay marriage is all about...It is about what is right and good for two adults who love each other..........EQUALITY......... :12224

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Should a lessor have the right to deny a lesbian couple the right to rent an apartment? Ablack couple? A muslim couple?

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

dazed&confused wrote:Should a lessor have the right to deny a lesbian couple the right to rent an apartment? Ablack couple? A muslim couple?

Renting an apartment and catering a wedding are two totally different things.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

Oh, please explain how.....They are exactly the same...........It is a central issue of the Constitution that was used to denounce and rid this country of many bigoted beliefs.......... :12224

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

What if McDonalds decided not to serve you a Big Mac because McDonalds thinks you are too fat????? Is that OK?

Return to “The Off season”