The former Crystal Lake (or Snake Lake) in Lawrence County

General Chat
kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Re: The former Crystal Lake (or Snake Lake) in Lawrence Coun

Post by kantuckyII »

Fun spot in the 70's as well. I remember it mostly because in or around 1975, these guys tried to get us to go out there with them one afternoon to swim. We could not because we were working and home on lunch. One of the three drown out there that afternoon

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I remember there being a rock on the other side of Crystal that people would swim to and get on top of it. That guy that drown there, their car had gone into the water or truck. He tried to hook a strap to it, dove down and never came back up.

I also remember being out there and there were about 20 guys from Ironton over on that rock on the other side. There were also 3 couples from WV MINDING their own business as I was too sitting on the side across from the rock. They started poking fun of the WV guys huge hillbilly accents. One of the guys from WV finally shot the moon over at them. One of the guys from Ironton (who were rednecks) shouts, "Let's get 'em guys, Let's Kill 'em!" (and I have no idea, they had every intention of beating those guys unconcious and seriously hurting them) and they all jump off that rock and start swimming towards them. Those three guys quickly run up to their vehicle, grab 3 steel poles they had in their vehicle and run down there and dare anyone of them to get out of that water...too funny, 20 to 3 and not one guy would...they all stayed out in the middle of the lake treading water and then swam back to the other side and those guys left. TOO FUNNY!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

650 go to Richendollar Store, stay on 650 towards golf course..about 3 or 4 miles, turn on gravel road on left. It was the back entrance to strip mines.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Someone filled it in? Ruining one of the best swimmin holes ever should be against the law. Ya know, that's sad like finding out an old friend has died and nobody told you.

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

That guy that KantuckyII talked about drowning several years ago would probably bring a multi-million dollar lawsuit these days against the landowner. That's why property owners are closing up, filling up, and denying access to such areas these days. They can't afford the stupidity of even people who are trespassing.
Lawyers..... shoot'em all !!!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

that was a good ole swimmim hole, indeed.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

bump

Return to “The Off season”