People who get help from the government

General Chat
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

People who get help from the government

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I think anyone who is not disable(being obese) is not a disability and gets any help from the government should have to do some type of work.

Like picking up trash on the side of the road working in a school cafeteria or some other job that would save the state or schools money.

What are your thoughts on those who seem to live oiff the system?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: People who get help from the government

Has anyone else ever wonder why so many people on welfare or some other hand out seem to smoke and drink? How can they afford it?

I think they are being given way too much if they can afford to have those habits on the hand out they are receiving.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

No where did I say 100% of those who are disable are faking it. :12223

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Yeah, you pretty well implied it! Are all others who collect some kind of "insurance" benefit - fire, accident, health - also "faking it"? Why have we paid the premiums/contributions if collecting benefits is automatically questioned as "fraudulent"? How about taking "tax deductions"? Isn't that "getting help from the government"? And why is it somehow "shameful" to seek help from governmental or any other sources when you're in a tough spot of any kind for any reason?
You sound just like my judgemental Republican father who's been dead for over a decade used to!

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

caglewis wrote:Yeah, you pretty well implied it! Are all others who collect some kind of "insurance" benefit - fire, accident, health - also "faking it"? Why have we paid the premiums/contributions if collecting benefits is automatically questioned as "fraudulent"? How about taking "tax deductions"? Isn't that "getting help from the government"? And why is it somehow "shameful" to seek help from governmental or any other sources when you're in a tough spot of any kind for any reason?
You sound just like my judgemental Republican father who's been dead for over a decade used to!
Thats the third time you have made some sort of resentful statement towards your own dad.
BTW, There is plenty of judgemental people out there, no matter their politics.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Here in Logan if you are on welfare you have to work it off.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

noreply66 wrote:Here in Logan if you are on welfare you have to work it off.
That's the way it should be.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Help from the system should be just that it should not be a way of life.

oak hill71
All State

Post by oak hill71 »

All depends on the situation, the majority of the peopl who use it do need it. But there is a minoirty, but still a large number of people that take advantage of it. I live in a town, Oak Hill, where Welfare checks seem to be the largest industry. And I also work at a place where I see these people everyday, Giovanni's. Every time the first of the month rolls around the same people will always order, they are usually about 28-40, deathly skinny, and on a few occasions have answered the doors smoking pot. Now I have no problem at all with the one's who really need it, but there should be drug testing for it. If god forbid one day I will need food stamps, disability, or other forms of welfare I will use it for what it's meant for. But there are some that leech off the system, and those are the one's that I have a huge problem with.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

I had a 26 year old employee apply for SSI , she had some congential heart stuff going on, had surgery at a young age, went back in about 4 years ago when scar tissue built up or was causing high BP or something like that. Surgeon at U of L botched the surgery even though they denied it. Girl had 2-3 surgies including one where an intern tore loss some stiches as she was being closed up. Had all that could go wrong go wrong, nearly died, spent months in the hospital.

Applied for ssi , was denied and told by her lawyer, everyone gets denied th 1st time. I thought that was pretty awful, she deserved it, and eventually got it. But to look at her, scars are under the blouse and you can't tell anything about situation. Their is tons of fraud but not everyone is screwing over the system. MD

oak hill71
All State

Post by oak hill71 »

Like I said t a minority who do abuse the system, but there are plenty that do. Especially in this area. Have you ever been to the emergency room at 1 AM the night before the 1st? It gets pretty outrageous. Like I have said before, it is not even close to everyone, but you can tell by looking at someone whether or not they use the money for drugs, just by the person's overall composure.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I agree we should crack down on welfare fraud. Corporate welfare, that is. When companies can buy other companies, slash payroll and get a subsidy for it without really improving the industry, something stinks. We need Teddy Roosevelt and the trust busters back! (Google it).

oak hill71
All State

Post by oak hill71 »

dazed&confused wrote:I agree we should crack down on welfare fraud. Corporate welfare, that is. When companies can buy other companies, slash payroll and get a subsidy for it without really improving the industry, something stinks. We need Teddy Roosevelt and the trust busters back! (Google it).
I agree completely on this as well. Did you know right now, there is currently a bill sitting in Ohio's legislation cycle, which would allow State ran buildings (prisons being the main one) to be sold off to private companies? Where if they do that, they would slash the payroll from about $20/hr. down to less than $10/hr. This really bothers me as well.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

dazed&confused wrote:I agree we should crack down on welfare fraud. Corporate welfare, that is. When companies can buy other companies, slash payroll and get a subsidy for it without really improving the industry, something stinks. We need Teddy Roosevelt and the trust busters back! (Google it).
Ummm, news flash, Teddy Roosevelt was all for freebie handouts.
Didnt do very well in history class?

surfsider
All State

Post by surfsider »

Welfare fraud just sickens me to no end.
Oh, corporate fraud is bad enough, too.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

There are a lot of people who need help and there are a lot of people who don't really need the help and they steal it.

Don't lump the folks who need it in with those who don't

Return to “The Off season”