Facebook privacy (or lack thereof)

General Chat
Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Facebook privacy (or lack thereof)

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

A little something for all of you Facebook users...

From Kim Komando "America's Digital Goddess"â„¢
http://www.komando.com

...new downloadable guide that will help you protect your privacy on Facebook. Click here to download yours now.
http://store.komando.com/p-831-guide-to ... ebook.aspx

FACEBOOK FEATURE THREATENS PRIVACY

Facebook recently introduced a new feature called Instant Personalization. Approved sites can pull your public Facebook information. This personalizes those sites when you visit.

However, it does lead to some privacy issues. For example, Yelp is one of Facebook's approved sites. A flaw was recently discovered in Yelp's security. Anyone could have accessed Facebook user information via Yelp's servers. It didn’t matter if the users never visited Yelp.

Fortunately, Yelp fixed the flaw before user information was accessed. But this is likely to happen again on other sites. So, you should turn off Instant Personalization. Open your Facebook profile. Go to Account>>Applications and Websites. Find Instant Personalization. Click Edit Setting. Uncheck the Allow Sharing box.

Are you revealing more than you intended on Facebook? Take a minute to watch my free video at TVKim.com. I’ll help you set up your privacy options on Facebook the right way.
http://www.tvkim.com/watch/51/kim-on-ko ... ur-privacy

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Re: Facebook privacy (or lack thereof)

FACEBOOK, MYSPACE CAUGHT RELEASING USER DATA

a poll found that "60 percent of Facebook users have considered deleting their accounts because of qualms about the site's privacy policy."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100521/ ... ews_tc2189

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

The top story from Windows Secrets Newsletter issue 244 - May 20, 2010

TIGHTEN YOUR FACEBOOK PRIVACY SETTINGS

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/100520

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Worried that someone is out to try 'n steal your latest dance steps?

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

kantuckyII wrote:Worried that someone is out to try 'n steal your latest dance steps?
:lol: If I had them on there, somebody probably would try.

Have another...

FACEBOOK MANIA: PRIVACY CHANGES FOR NEARLY 500 MILLION

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100521/u ... 9199058200

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Hmmmmmmm Obama is going to take Facebook over as he is the anti-christ and in order to buy and sell you have to have a facebook account? hmmmmmmmmm????? :shock:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

kantuckyII wrote:Hmmmmmmm Obama is going to take Facebook over as he is the anti-christ and in order to buy and sell you have to have a facebook account? hmmmmmmmmm????? :shock:

????????

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Relax O & B, I am just teasing, I don't think that Facebook has anything to do with the AC

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

kantuckyII wrote:Relax O & B, I am just teasing, I don't think that Facebook has anything to do with the AC

No I was just confused! I'm easily confused! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

It 'is' amazing how many people have an account with them. I'm not too concerned about the privacy thing. I don't put anything on there that I wouldn't want the world to see.

Mark Zuckerberg, at 26 years old is now the planet's youngest billionaire..and through Facebook, which he created while in college..in his dorm room, has caused his net worth to be currently FOUR BILLION dollars!

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

kantuckyII wrote:...Mark Zuckerberg, at 26 years old is now the planet's youngest billionaire..and through Facebook, which he created while in college..in his dorm room, has caused his net worth to be currently FOUR BILLION dollars!
And thousands of people who have actually had good ideas sit destitute. Such is life.

We're not finished yet... more from Kim Komando

DISCOVER WHAT YOU'RE SHARING ON FACEBOOK

"At this point, everyone knows about Facebook. It has more than 400 million users. That makes it one of the largest Websites in the world.

It's a good bet that you have a Facebook profile. And why shouldn't you? It's a great way to keep up with family and friends.

However, you could be sharing more than you think. Facebook is constantly updating its privacy controls. You have to pay attention constantly.

But the controls aren't always intuitive. Even users who pay attention can get in trouble. That's where today's Cool Site comes in.

It scans your Facebook profile for privacy settings. You can find out exactly what other people can see. That way, you can take steps to lock down sensitive information on Facebook."

http://www.reclaimprivacy.org/facebook

http://www.tvkim.com/watch/51/kim-on-ko ... ur-privacy

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

When I tried to add the first link to my Favorites Gray Fighting Tiger, my Explorer warned me that it might not be safe. Are you sure they're not trying to grab things instead?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Awwwhhhhhhh just in time for Grayfightingtiger:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/197091/f ... esday.html

Facebook Caves to Privacy Pressure: 'Simplified' Controls Debut Wednesday
Daniel Ionescu, PC World
May 25, 2010 10:38 am

Facebook is ready to make up for its latest privacy debacle by introducing new privacy settings as soon as Wednesday.

During the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in New York on Tuesday, Facebook's Vice President of Product Chris Cox reportedly said the new privacy controls will be "drastically simplified".

Facebook has seen a backlash in the past few weeks over new privacy settings introduced after its f8 conference in April. Users and critics alike complained about the changes and Facebook's privacy policy, which, it seems, was longer than the U.S. Constitution.

The opt-out privacy settings Facebook introduced didn't help, as they had over 50 different privacy buttons, which equate to a headache-inducing 170+ options for users.

To try and diffuse the situation, Facebook's CEO Mark Zuckerberg admitted his company made "a bunch of mistakes" and just "missed the mark" on privacy control in a Washington Post column, and in an e-mail to blogger Robert Scoble.

Zuckerberg also promised new user privacy controls would arrive soon, and indeed Facebook has moved fast, considering today's announcement.

According to the TechCrunch report, Facebook's Chris Cox did not give any other details regarding the imminent privacy settings changes.

What's interesting is that Zuckerberg didn't do a thing about this until Gray Fighting Tiger started putting the pressure on him here on SEOP! GFT has some serious influence!

Tiger Lady
SE

Post by Tiger Lady »

I like my privacy by staying off Facebook.........

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

kantuckyII wrote:When I tried to add the first link to my Favorites Gray Fighting Tiger, my Explorer warned me that it might not be safe. Are you sure they're not trying to grab things instead?
All I can tell you is that I double checked to make sure I copied the link correctly; and it came straight from a Kim Komando email. She's usually very careful before recommending a site.

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

kantuckyII wrote:Awwwhhhhhhh just in time for Grayfightingtiger:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/197091/f ... esday.html

Facebook Caves to Privacy Pressure: 'Simplified' Controls Debut Wednesday
(article intentionally deleted)

What's interesting is that Zuckerberg didn't do a thing about this until Gray Fighting Tiger started putting the pressure on him here on SEOP! GFT has some serious influence!
Glad to see Facebook apparently addressing security concerns; although I likely had very little to do with it. :mrgreen:

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

You're much too modest GFT! it's readily apparent, once you started posting this thread, things starting happening quick!

whitey
Riding the Bench

Post by whitey »

What in the world would someone put on Facebook that they would want to keep private when the part of the point of it is to share things, no matter how trivial they are, with other people. I've never been asked to enter a phone number, address, or any financial information. Is someone going to find out I like Glee or something?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I love Facebook, I've hooked back up with people that I hadn't seen since high school and if it wasn't for Facebook, I probably never would have again. It allows me to quickly share photos and videos with family and friends who live hundreds of miles away now...all for free.

Again, simply don't put things on there that you want kept private. ANY...website could extract a lot of information from your visit.

Heck, for all we know, Mattash could be an agent for the CIA. Seriously, don't you think it's odd he has this website but seldom comments on it? he's probably a spy for the FBI and the CIA!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Well, see? that's what's awesome about Facebook, unlike here, you have only friends to talk to ;-)

One thing that irks me about Facebook is how strict they are about copyright laws. I spent a good bit of time filming and editing a video of my great niece. I cut the sound off it and had an old Stevie Nick's song as background music. Within an hour or so, they removed it and sent me a notice I had to agree to in order to keep posting there. I mean, good night, it was a family video

Return to “The Off season”