Ozzie, another egg laid in Columbus

General Chat
basketballparent
Freshman Team

Re: Ozzie, another egg laid in Columbus

Post by basketballparent »

Banding is scheduled for next week: Thursday, May 21 at 10 a.m. It will be shown over the nestbox live streaming view. Crews will begin setting up inside the building on Tuesday, May 19 which will include hooking up the necessary cables and testing the system. So, there may be times during the day on Tuesday that the feed is unavailable. Hope everyone can tune in on Thursday

vids4ckcrash
Varsity

Post by vids4ckcrash »

Can't wait until the Columbus banding as they will then clean the lens. And I was able to watch the eagle banding, start to finish. And they still have great photos available.

Maybe this could be the "shot SEEN around the world", huh? The lens has been hit several times since the initial shot.

Watching the chicks, when a chick would stand when the parent was not present, usually a shot would fire.

Would be really great if a camera was placed on the Ironton bridge. Who takes the pictures of the nest on the Ironton bridge? I wouldn't want to, without a full set of leathers on.

The eagle blog explained the "slicing" and guess we are lucky that the eagle cams are placed higher and I don't think the eagle cams were ever compromised by pooh.

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

vids4ckcrash wrote:Can't wait until the Columbus banding as they will then clean the lens. And I was able to watch the eagle banding, start to finish. And they still have great photos available.

Maybe this could be the "shot SEEN around the world", huh? The lens has been hit several times since the initial shot.

Watching the chicks, when a chick would stand when the parent was not present, usually a shot would fire.

Would be really great if a camera was placed on the Ironton bridge. Who takes the pictures of the nest on the Ironton bridge? I wouldn't want to, without a full set of leathers on.

The eagle blog explained the "slicing" and guess we are lucky that the eagle cams are placed higher and I don't think the eagle cams were ever compromised by pooh.

Video of the falcon banding of the Columbus chicks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ozLK1f8vhQ

Four chicks at our local site, one girl, named Hecla, three boys, named Iron, Toro, and Loco. Here's a photo of a very special young girl assisting with the banding of the Ironton-Russell Bridge falcon chick, Loco.
A photo of our female, a beautiful falcon, although not a very happy mother when this was taken.

Vids4ckcrash, now that the chicks have been moved into a nest box a camera is a more feasible option and is in the process of being set up. It is a trail camera that will be motion sensored. And as for the photos taken, well, let's just say you need to know where both parents are at all times, especially the female, that is much more aggressive than the male, and be ready to duck. She's never made contact, unlike our former female falcon, Lucy, which left her mark on local citizens and unaware visitors to the bridge. Here's a story about Lucy as told to me by Cecil Townsend, a former ODOT worker, as well as a link to an encounter by a visiting engineer to the bridge. Thank goodness our current female isn't this aggressive;)

Some peregrines aren’t so tolerant of humans. A female peregrine named “Ironton Lucy”, an Ohio neighbor of SW and Buckeye, became famous for her aggressive behavior toward humans. An up-close and personal encounter with Lucy is told by Mr. Cecil Townsend, a supervisor for the Ohio state highway garage. He tells of a sunny Friday afternoon when he went to check the navigational lights that hang from chains under a bridge that guide barge traffic on the Ohio River. He checked the lights on the Ohio side which were fine and then went on to the Kentucky side. After pulling the light up and then lowering it back, he walked 8-10 steps and was hit from behind. He dropped to his knees, saw stars and was disoriented for a few seconds. He didn't know what had happened and assumed he had been struck by a car, perhaps by a large side mirror. A lady in a car witnessed the event and was able to stop in time to keep from hitting him. As he gained his wits again, blood was gushing down his face and his glasses had been knocked off. He had three holes in the top of his head as well as the cut above his eye. He said he had to stick his fingers in the holes in the top of his head to stop the bleeding (that's how large they were from Lucy’s talons) and hold a T-shirt to the cut over his eye as he made his way to his vehicle and got himself to the hospital where he received stitches. He credits his glasses for saving his eye. When he returned to the bridge to investigate, he and others discovered there were peregrine falcons that had chosen the bridge as their nesting site and that fierce “Ironton Lucy” was defending her territory. Lucy became very well-known for her attacks to pedestrians crossing the bridge, and because of that, the bridge was closed to pedestrians during nesting season. While most falcons simply come close in their dives, Lucy was frequently known to make contact. Many falcon fans traveled across the state to see her as word of her boldness spread. Lucy is no longer with us and is presumed dead. Her body was never found but her leg-bands were recovered from within a steel beam on the bridge by workers. She has been replaced by another female that is not so aggressive. You can read about another encounter with Lucy at
http://www.palmernet.com/fall06.pdf
on page 4 called “An Engineer, a Bridge and a Bird”.

littlefoot
Waterboy

Post by littlefoot »

Geeze could you type it any bigger I can't read it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

vids4ckcrash
Varsity

Post by vids4ckcrash »

Quitchurbitchin'. Mebbe she knows I am older than Batman! And My eyes have been bad since I was hatched atop a coal mine in WV..

April 18, 2009, the 70th Anniversary of Batman’s first appearance in the pages of Detective Comics #27.

And Ballparent, thanks for the pics and url. I had not seen the utube banding video. I did see the one off the TV Station in Columbus. And the cut and paste plus the redirect was most appreciated.

Thursdays I am in Russell at the Golden Pig Pen and missed the banding live.

Hopefully, if I know of the Ironton banding soon enough next year, I can do a good video of it. Due to personal reasons, I have all but suspended my videoing for this year but hope to be able to resume next year.

Return to “The Off season”