SUVC Rio Tournament

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
goinbroke
Riding the Bench

SUVC Rio Tournament

Post by goinbroke »

In one word...TERRIBLE!!!!!!!

This tournament could not be more poorly ran. It is such a shame, because there are some very competitive teams.
Games were running over 2 hours behind.
Games were continuously getting rescheduled with different opponents.
Courts were getting double-booked.
Courts were not set up when we arrived. Our team's parents had to remove soccer nets, curtains, sweep, and put out chairs.
Even with such drastic delays, courts were at times empty for an hour.
We had to wait twice (even with game delays) for 20 minutes for refs to arrive.
Half of the refs were not certified. Many were parents, college students, just yanked from the stands.

One particular frustrating situation for our team was when game was delayed for 1 1/2 hours, court ended up being double-booked on top of that. Our fourth grade team that had to travel an hour that was supposed to play another team that was at least 1 1/2 hour away, got bumped for the local 6th grade team's game. We were told we would have to play at the end of the day. The way things were going, that would have meant tip off at about 10:00 - 11:00. We wouldn't have been on the road until midnight. Bracket play was to start next morning at 9:00am. Get real. We just forfeited game so we could get home at a decent time.

Officiating was terrible for almost all games on both sides.

I expect this tournament will fall to the wayside just like the Logan Hoop Jam because of visionaries, in an attempt to save money, ran a tournament that everyone hated and will never return. If you don't know what you are doing, get help!

Tournament was bad last year too...not quite to this level. Guess we should have learned our lesson.

Don't confuse with the Rio tournament in March. It is ran by another group and is much smoother.

Falconburger
JV Team

Re: SUVC Rio Tournament

Post by Falconburger »

I concur, the biggest complaint I had and heard from everyone, EVEN those teams who won was the ref'ing. One, I guess, certified ref, one non ref. Games were rough, I seen my own kid foul and obviously should have been called, no whistle. Then at times she was fouled, no call. Kids half out of bounds half in while in bounding the ball. Kids pushing players while dribbling or shooting. Just a poorly organized FUND RAISER! You don't ask parents as they walk in the door can you ref? Was crazy, and 29 teams at 150 a pop, plus concessions, which I thought reasonably priced, lol.

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”