holding kids back

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
triple double
Waterboy

Re: holding kids back

Post by triple double »

I was 17 when I graduated high school. Only 3 of my classmates were younger. I did pretty good in the classroom and I was one of the bigger kids in my class, but as a kid I didn't like being one of the youngest. After my son was born (July bday), my wife and I decided we weren't going to send our son to school until we had to at age 6. My son was mentally and physically ready at age 5 but we waited and we're glad we did. He's an A student and he's one of the biggest kids in the whole school. Kids ask us if he's been held back because of his size but he has not. The thing I would worry about if I held my child back after they started school is what verbal abuse they would get from others. I suppose doing it in the early grades would be best but be prepared because people will talk especially when it comes to sports. We have to carry my son's birth certificate with us to games. As far as myself, I could care less what other people think but I would have to worry about my child handling the situation. I would advise anybody to wait and send their child to school at age 6.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

Belhio7 wrote:I was 17 when I graduated high school. Only 3 of my classmates were younger. I did pretty good in the classroom and I was one of the bigger kids in my class, but as a kid I didn't like being one of the youngest. After my son was born (July bday), my wife and I decided we weren't going to send our son to school until we had to at age 6. My son was mentally and physically ready at age 5 but we waited and we're glad we did. He's an A student and he's one of the biggest kids in the whole school. Kids ask us if he's been held back because of his size but he has not. The thing I would worry about if I held my child back after they started school is what verbal abuse they would get from others. I suppose doing it in the early grades would be best but be prepared because people will talk especially when it comes to sports. We have to carry my son's birth certificate with us to games. As far as myself, I could care less what other people think but I would have to worry about my child handling the situation. I would advise anybody to wait and send their child to school at age 6.
Amen, it is amazing how many people like to criticize a parents decision to hold a child back when that child is successful. I was the youngest in my class and knew I didn't want my son to be a young graduate, it is a disadvantage in every way. When I went through my divorce, my ex didn't agree, with my son being a big kid. She started him early as she was the residential parent at first. When I received custody, I approached the super about holding my son back, and although I had a lot of the educators against me, he was also a 17 year old graduate. He happened to understand me. Since I held him back in the fourth grade, not only has he and I felt that it was the best decision we could have made, but his mother too agrees that we made the right decision.

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

Many parent(s) send their child to kindergarten as quickly as possible due to child care or lack there of. With almost all parents working these days, many kids are rushed into school. I agree with parents decision to let kids develop, but they should be "held back" before they enter kindergarten. This is the states fault for allowing it. The financial burden falls on the tax payer as we are paying many times for an extra year of school.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

I believe burg has the correct policy, don't allow kids to start until they are 6. They are only looking out for the kids best interest. That way no kid is forced to finish high school before they truly should.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

IBTT wrote:I believe burg has the correct policy, don't allow kids to start until they are 6. They are only looking out for the kids best interest. That way no kid is forced to finish high school before they truly should.
Not sure where you got that information, but that is not a policy at Burg.

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”