Youth Sports vs. Trophies

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
Slew72
Riding the Bench

Youth Sports vs. Trophies

Post by Slew72 »

Just curious on differing opinions, but I don't believe that youth players (3rd grade and higher) should get trophies just for participating in a sport. When I played youth sports we got trophies for winning the league or a tournament, not just participating. I my opinion it cheats the kids, by implying it doesn't matter how hard they play or how well they do, because in the end they get a trophy anyway.

MClaw
Freshman Team

Re: Youth Sports vs. Trophies

Post by MClaw »

Agreed.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

I agree to a point. In a tournament or a season only the winners should get a trophy. Maybe 2nd and 3rd place. But if the coach wants to get his/her kids something for coming out each practice and game and playing and working hard, even if they didn't win, is OK in my book. Whether the kids win or not they still come out and work hard each week and try to get better and that effort needs to be reinforced and rewarded.

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

Trophies are earned not given!

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

I've had this discussion several times. By giving kids a trophy just for participation all you are doing is teaching kids that it is ok to be mediocre. This is what's wrong with society kids never learn how to handle losing. Guess what every game doesn't end in a tie, and there are winners and losers. If you want to see kids excel give them a reason to. When little jimmy sees other kids getting a trophy and he didn't guess what he will want one and he will try that much more to get one.

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”