8th Grade Boys & Girls Championship Games 2/23 at 7:30 pm
8th Grade Girls: West vs Oak Hill

sportsfan9572
Freshman Team

Re: SOC 7th & 8th Grade Tourney Results at South Webster

Post by sportsfan9572 »

Girls

West 8th vs Oakhill 8th and Minford 7th vs West 7th in Championship games

West and Oakhill do not play in regular season and Minford 7th beat West 7th at West the only time they played this year......all 4 are very good teams.

What's everyones thoughts on these games?

AAU Scout
Waterboy

Post by AAU Scout »

Both game should be excellent games. I believe in fairness to all teams involved the referees for these games should have no ties to any of the teams playing. These kids have worked hard and deserve to be treated fairly. I hope the calls are made both ways. If they call 3 seconds on Oak Hill then the same sould apply to the opposing team. The same goes with fouls, etc. May the best teams win fair and square. Good luck to all teams involved.

falconfan86
Riding the Bench

Post by falconfan86 »

Yes all four teams are tough, Minfords 7th grade team is a very deep and talented bunch and what this year is a payoff of playing togther for the last year and 1/2. They all know each other and play excellent team ball, that is why they are hard to defend and if they are turned loose defensively, a full court man to man or press then they can really put the pressure on opposing teams..West 7th grade is tough and competitive, that is why they give Minford some trouble, in the county West and one time loss to Portsmouth are the only teams in this county to beat the 7th grade in the last year and a 1/2...It should be an excellent game...good luck falcons

sportsfan9572
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan9572 »

AAU Scout,

is there a problem with the refs

smoke93
Waterboy

Post by smoke93 »

I don't think any referee is going to cheat any child so I think maybe the fans need TO KEEP THEIR COMMENTS TO THEMSELVES!!!!!!! The referee's I'm sure are doing the best they can and are not doing it for the money. How would you like it if a referee came to your job and belittled you for everything you did wrong. As a Christian person I sure hope that Jesus don't come back during a Youth sporting event because there are a lot of people that will be left behind! Thanks and May God Bless !!!!!!!

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

Post by The_Sports_Junky »

Question....

How many of the left behind will be wearing black and white shirts? My guess is 60%.

( Bonus question... Do you get left behind for a bad call ? HMMMMMM maybe I shouldn't umpire anymore!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

falconfan86 wrote:Yes all four teams are tough, Minfords 7th grade team is a very deep and talented bunch and what this year is a payoff of playing togther for the last year and 1/2. They all know each other and play excellent team ball, that is why they are hard to defend and if they are turned loose defensively, a full court man to man or press then they can really put the pressure on opposing teams..West 7th grade is tough and competitive, that is why they give Minford some trouble, in the county West and one time loss to Portsmouth are the only teams in this county to beat the 7th grade in the last year and a 1/2...It should be an excellent game...good luck falcons

I think this would be impossible in this area. What I mean is, many of the refs graduated, teach, work, and know people in these school districts. For them to not have any ties would be almost impossible for South Webster to find. Especially at the Junior High Level. I saw two games at this tournament the other day and the refs were pretty good. One of the refs was an ex. Jeep coach. The other one use to coach baseball at South Webster. I think they now live and work in Oak Hill. And they were doing an Oak Hill vs. Webster game. Looked pretty fair to me. It was an intense game that went into OT but I thought the refs did a pretty good job of keeping control of the floor. You will never keep control of the fans but on the floor, very nice job!!

falconfan86
Riding the Bench

Post by falconfan86 »

Once again, refs don't lose the ball games, if look back, there is always either bad shooting, turnovers, missed free throws...Good coaches tell there kids to not allow the refs to affect them. Adjust how you play to the way the game is going to be called. If it is physical, then play physical, if they are calling ticky tack fouls then take a step off of your man....But refs can hinder a ball game, but they don't cause you to lose one either.....So teach your kids to just play, don't reach, which at the pee wee level they allow them to get away with way to much, and move your feet....practice free throws, rebounding and shooting then you will win...Just look at the Minford 7th Grade Team....

AAU Scout
Waterboy

Post by AAU Scout »

My comment concerning the referees was only a suggestion, not an allegation. I'm only stating that the referees will have to be on top of the game as tensions run high in tournaments like these. I didn't mean to step on anyones toes!!! Remember the kids reads our comments also! We also need to set the example for the kids on these forums.

falconfan86
Riding the Bench

Post by falconfan86 »

Sorry did not mean to come across like I was getting on you...it is just that you are right kids read this and hear what there parents say...If more parents and some coaches would quit blaming the refs when they lose and look at the stats of the game, they would realize there were some plays that were not made or made that caused the outcome of the game...Sure there are times when a blown call hurts, but if you make your lay ups, shot around 70% from the line and control the defensive boards you will usually win...To me good coaches stress this and helps his players win no matter what is being called...Alot of parents and coaches need to realize a turnover, offensive rebound, two missed free throws are usually 4 pt swings...

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

I am just tickled to death that both West teams are playing Monday. With a all new system
both off. and def. press, press break, shooting style, everything. We are all as proud as we
can be. Good luck girls! (7th and 8th)

bleacherwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by bleacherwarmer »

Congratulations to the Minford 7th grade boys and goodluck Saturday against Burg

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

AAU Scout wrote:My comment concerning the referees was only a suggestion, not an allegation. I'm only stating that the referees will have to be on top of the game as tensions run high in tournaments like these. I didn't mean to step on anyones toes!!! Remember the kids reads our comments also! We also need to set the example for the kids on these forums.

Jr. High Officials on top of their game. I think they will be fine. I find it funny how some people think of this Jr. High Tournament as the most important tournament in the world!! I understand there will be good games, but come on. A bad call by the official is going to allow a parent the opportunity to come unglued and mad and ruin their day or the next?? I find that funny. My suggestion, get over the bad calls and move on with your life. The players sure do!!! :lol: :lol:

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

Congrats to Minford 7th grade boys, you earned a hard fought win. Also I am so proud of the Clay boys, once again small in numbers, but BIG in heart. You showed your school and your families you were there for a purpose. Get busy in the off season, and I will see you next year at "The Closet".(Rubyville)

AAU Scout
Waterboy

Post by AAU Scout »

Regulator wrote:
AAU Scout wrote:My comment concerning the referees was only a suggestion, not an allegation. I'm only stating that the referees will have to be on top of the game as tensions run high in tournaments like these. I didn't mean to step on anyones toes!!! Remember the kids reads our comments also! We also need to set the example for the kids on these forums.

Jr. High Officials on top of their game. I think they will be fine. I find it funny how some people think of this Jr. High Tournament as the most important tournament in the world!! I understand there will be good games, but come on. A bad call by the official is going to allow a parent the opportunity to come unglued and mad and ruin their day or the next?? I find that funny. My suggestion, get over the bad calls and move on with your life. The players sure do!!! :lol: :lol:

You seem to be a bit sensitive about this subject. As adults, I'm assuming you are an adult, we should not bicker like children over this subject. As I stated in the my previous quote I had no intention to step on any toes including yours. As I stated before the kids read our posts. These tournaments are extremely inportant to the kids, coaches, parents and grandparents. The kids and coaches have worked hard all season to get to this point. I wish all team in the tournaments the best of luck. On these forums we should be posting positive comments. We should not discount the importantance of these tournaments or make snod remarks. We need to be polite and professional even though we are nameless and faceless on these forums.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

AAU Scout wrote:
Regulator wrote:

You seem to be a bit sensitive about this subject. As adults, I'm assuming you are an adult, we should not bicker like children over this subject. As I stated in the my previous quote I had no intention to step on any toes including yours. As I stated before the kids read our posts. These tournaments are extremely inportant to the kids, coaches, parents and grandparents. The kids and coaches have worked hard all season to get to this point. I wish all team in the tournaments the best of luck. On these forums we should be posting positive comments. We should not discount the importantance of these tournaments or make snod remarks. We need to be polite and professional even though we are nameless and faceless on these forums.

Not sensitive at all. I have just been to a lot of games where people make themselves look very bad. I find it funny to watch people get very mad, mad enough to possibly hurt someone, over a game of basketball. What kind of example is this setting? Yes, tournaments are important, yes the kids enjoy them, but leave it at that!!! We need to be polite and professional even though we have a name and a face at games!! ;-)

bleacherwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by bleacherwarmer »

Minford boys 8th over Valley. Good, close game. Goodluck the rest of the tournament.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

What were the scores and results of the 8th grade boys games last night?

What is the schedule for the rest of the way look like?

FaberGrad62
JV Team

Post by FaberGrad62 »

Burg beat Clay 50 something to 20 something. Clay led at the end of the 1st qtr. 11-10. No. 24 for Clay hit 3 three's and a 2 pouint basket, then he had one turnover and the coach yanked him for about 4-5 minutes in the 2nd qtr. That was kind of a shock but I did see Clay's head varsity coach there and that is something that I have seen him do, so maybe he is just passing it on down. One turnover to me doesn't warrant taking your hot shooter out of the game.

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”