OSU football summer prep.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

OSU football summer prep.

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

I thought I'd start a thread where we can discuss the summer prep going into the 2011 football season.

I'd like to keep this thread as close to "on field" development as possible.

Please use the other threads to discuss Tressel, and the infraction drama.

Let's try and keep this thread as a discussion on what we want to see, how the players are developing, what expectations we have.

Thanks.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Re: OSU football summer prep.

I'll post updates as I hear things.

First up.
Etien Sabino has bulked up a little more over last year, but is still running a 4.4!

Carlos Hyde has dropped his 40 time into the 4.5 range.

And finally, John Simon has gotten to over 270 lbs, and is running a 4.6!

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

What exactly can the players do before camp opens in August?

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Strength training, video prep, and anything they want really.

Frankly I think the forum needed a thread where we talked about football instead of NCAA violations and firing!!!

If nobody wants to participate, I'll still post what I hear, so you guys can keep informed.

But I think we have 6 or so threads of various drama talk, I want to talk FOOTBALL!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

By "anything" I mean, on their own and through non team workouts.

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

What's the latest out of C'BUS Dubs.Fickell getting things going?

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Everyone of the incoming freshmen are on campus, the only one that backed out was Ejuan Price.

Summer classes are in session, and daily non-supervised workouts have started.

Most talk is about the workout, and the team being unified toward a common goal.
They have a boulder on their shoulders, not just a chip.

There is a banner above the door of the weight room in the WHC, it reads:
"SILENCE THE DOUBTERS!"

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

More and more talk of Mike Vrabel ending his NFL career and becoming the new OSU Linebackers coach!!!

It's still just in the rumor stage, but they are coming from more sources now!

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

I thought that the other day when he was at Fickell's press conference.Fickell said it would be a defensive coach.Would be a great hire.I was kind of bummed when this crap first broke,but I'm kind of excited now that the smoke has cleared.The ALLEGATIONS don't seem to be as bad as espn (I mean the NCAA)LOL) thought. It will be interesting to see how the kids play. P.S. I need Colorado tickets.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Fickell was on the Dan Patrick show today.
He was more relaxed and in his element today compared to his first press conference.

Some highlights:
1) The QB battle is wide open, and Bauserman understands this.
2) Staff reassignments will be solidified in the next 2 weeks, including filling the remaining defensive staff spot.
3) The team goals have not changed, they still read: Big Ten Title, Unbeaten!
4) There is a vibe that the scandal fallout has taken the complacency out of the team, and given the players a motivation that was lacking before the departure of TP and JT!
5) If all 12 Big 10 coaches were to fight MMA style, Luke feels he would come out the champ!

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

I listened to DP.Good job by Fickell.I'm feeling better about everything that went down.DP still says NCAA will hammer OSU,but I don't see it.Parties involved are already punished and gone.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

I think the punishment comes down to if the NCAA turned up any new infractions or names when they were in town after the SI article.

To date, the car issue has been cleared, the Denis Talbot issue is dead (except for in the eyes of ESPNs OTL, who has been kicking 25 year old stones trying to find something), and the additional names mentioned by SI in the tattoo story have been dead ends.

The players originally involved with tattoo gate have been punished, and have had their appeals heard, nothing new can come from those 5.

So, as it stands right now, the NCAA is ruling on a 10.1 violation by Tressel.
He has been "fired", the school has cooperated fully. Standard punishment for that infraction is a suspension for part of one season for the coach.

I expect the wiping of last years season. 3 years probation, 5 scholarships lost for one year.
Other than that, there is no precedent for stiffer punishment, and the NCAA can't punish for "perceived infractions".

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:Fickell was on the Dan Patrick show today.
He was more relaxed and in his element today compared to his first press conference.

Some highlights:
2) Staff reassignments will be solidified in the next 2 weeks, including filling the remaining defensive staff spot.
4) There is a vibe that the scandal fallout has taken the complacency out of the team, and given the players a motivation that was lacking before the departure of TP and JT!
5) If all 12 Big 10 coaches were to fight MMA style, Luke feels he would come out the champ!
-----------------i like the last line. i'd say in the title bout, it would be him n dan hope of purdue, he looks like a tough nut as well.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:
seofan_via_dublin wrote:Fickell was on the Dan Patrick show today.

Some highlights:
-----------------i like the last line. i'd say in the title bout, it would be him n dan hope of purdue, he looks like a tough nut as well.

I think Hope is too old for the MMA style. I think the final 3 would be Fickell, Pat Fitzgerald and Bret Bielema. Both Bielema and Fickell were both noseguards in college, so that one could get interesting.

I would take Fickell in a second round knockout of Bielema (who would tire out in the 2nd) and Fickell over Fitzgerald in a decision.

I dont think Paterno would fare very well!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Fickell wrestled for 18 years, and won the HS championship while at DeSalles.

I think he'd whip everyone!

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Any news on who the starter is to be i think if we want to win it's Guyton or Millier if we want experience it's Bauserman i trust coach Fickell and the staff will do what's best for the team !

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Luke says it's wide open on QB, and he has to study them and see what each brings. He really didnt truly know much about the offensive players, and that is his biggest hurdle.

It will all be determined in August camp, and as of right now, all are considered even.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I truly think we are screwed with Bauserman. Its not like the guy has ANY experience from sitting the bench the past couple years. What did he get, 15 snaps all year in blowout situations (and 1-2 snaps in the bowl game). He is the most immobile QB in the conference, as evident in the spring game. I could see Guition, Miller and Bauserman all taking snaps the first game, but I will be extremely puzzled if they do not play Miller 90% of the snaps by week 2 since they are burning his chance to redshirt.

From what I have seen, we are (at worst case):

7-5 with Bauserman
8-4 with Guiton
9-2 with Miller (if he gets the bulk of the snaps and experience under his belt during the first 2-3 games)

The General
All State

Post by The General »

Congrats for being Bleeding Red.. :122245 ..Wagering your fortune cookies on a young freshman huh? :lol:

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The General wrote:Congrats for being Bleeding Red.. :122245 ..Wagering your fortune cookies on a young freshman huh? :lol:

It looks like someone had an extra shot of Ensure today cause you seem very froggy.

"Yawn".

Return to “College Sports”