Out with the old in with the old...

Peake
SEOP

Out with the old in with the old...

Post by Peake »

After talking to several people, Rich Rod to be fired mid-week and Jim Harbaugh to be named the new coach by Friday. Recruits have already been alalerted.

--Denard Robinson expected to transfer
--Devin Gardner era expected to start

--Top RB commit Dee Hart #1 dual threat leaves for Bama and Dallas Crawford expected to decommit also.

Asst. Coach/RB Coach Fred Jackson expected to be only asst. kept and S&C Coordinator Mike Barwis expected to be re-offered job, but expected to leave w/Rich Rod.

--expect a few guys to leave, mostly young guys from deep south (Vincent Smith, Richard Ash, Ricky Barnum). Marvin Robison expected to stay and start next season at SS.

---My own personal opinion---

This thing was a disaster from the start. PR nightmare, knee jerk hire, AD disrespects the recruiting committee by not taking their recommendation twice (Les Miles), RR never really WANTED Michigan he only wanted out of WVU, RR had no clue about the tradition, culture, alumni, boosters, etc. RR thought they could just out scheme and out work big ten teams. Thought his system was more important then getting GREAT players all around.

This will be huge for reuniting the fanbase, alumni, boosters, etc. Dave Brandon is an excellent AD, people who say otherwise have no clue about him. Guy had his ducks in a row from the start, stood strong, and stayed the course. He didn't want a PR nightmare like the last one. One of his main guys (Desmond) has been recommending JH since last year trying to get RR out. He respects the views of those who are in the know rather then disrespecting them like Bill Martin. Why form a search committee only to not listen to them, TWICE!

Anyways, bye bye Denard. It was good knowing you. Excellent athlete, person, etc. I still believe JH would use him, but he is going to follow RR. That is fine. Devin Gardner will take over next year as a RFreshmen (medical redshirt). He will fit into any system. I am not worried one bit, just hope Forcier can get his act together (need a backup).

The offense should still pretty darn good imo. They lose two starters (Schilling and Dorrinstein) and will be easily replaced imo. Schilling is a solid OG who will play on Sundays, Perry was average at best. The skill guys should be pretty good. All the wideouts will be back and none are transfer threats because they are all juniors and seniors. Gardner should have the best WR core in the conference (Stonum, Hemmingway, Roundtree, Odoms, Koger). The runningbacks aside from one are average. The true freshmen Stephen Hopkins will fit perfectly into JH offense (6'1, 230), the rest are all average imo. The OL will be very solid and I am not expecting many transfers from guys that will be inline to start (aside from Barnum).

Defense sucks...period. I think Avery will be a good Corner by his Jr year, but the rest just suck. Mike Martin is a stud, the rest are average. Roh is soft, Black is too fat, Van Bergan would be a solid #2 for OSU. Demens is a solid MLB, the rest suck. Wolfolk will be back and a solid FS with Marvin Robinson expected to start at SS. We will be better but still probably a 60-75 rated defense.

IMO---7 to 8 wins first year, second year gloves are off.

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Re: Out with the old in with the old...

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

This is great news for Michigan fans. They need their program back as well as the big ten needs Michigan back as a contender

As far as rich rod, I wonder if there is any chance he goes back to the big east. The pitssburgh job has just came open in time for him to hop a board. It would be that much more salt on the wounds of wvu fans for him to take the job of their biggest rival, but I wouldn't put it past him. His style was successful in the big east so this could be his opportunity

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

If the Clemson job comes open maybe he takes it, or maybe the UConn job, but I seriously doubt he takes the pitt job.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

HMMM I know they hired a coach at WVU, but wonder if they would take RR back?

Just_A_Fan
Varsity

Post by Just_A_Fan »

Some of the best news I've heard all week, Thanks PEAKE.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Good for Michigan, though I don't see their WR in the same light.

They are just guys, nothing outstanding.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

He turned down the 49ers last year, it is expected he will do it again.

I think the wr's are a product of the offense. No vertical passing threat because they have to have someone to get them the darn thing. Love Denard but he throws it vertical about as many times as I talk back to my wife (rarely ever). A strong armed QB will allow these wr's the go vertical. Stonum has very good speed and Hemmingway is a very physical threat. Koger will be the most athletic TE in the conference and finally used. Roundtree will play the Wes Welker role. Pretty good set of players imo.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Concerning the 49ers, him living in that market also gives him insight to what is happening in San Fran. While that team used to be great, their ownership and front office are working hard at being more inept than Mike Brown.

Same goes for San Diego.

With Harbaugh, we're talking about a guy who knows he can go to Michigan and be near God like in AA. Why would you turn that down, to go to a place where the ownership is horrible, the talent is bad, and the future is likely a firing within 3 years.

Now, and argument could be made that he should stay in Palo Alto, where ge grew up, and has taken Stanford to heights previously unknown.

But, he'll be paid more at UM, he'll be coaching in front of 113,000 instead of in s stadium that holds 50,000 but only gets 35,000 to attend. He may have been raised in Cali, but he's a UM alum, and a "Michigan Man". He has a defense that can only improve, an offensive line that us very good, a QB in Gardner that should be the starter NOW, and a booster and alumni base that are foaming at the mouth to make UM great again.

Plus, if the itch is still there after turning UM around, the NFL isn't going anywhere. Getting UM back won't hurt the perception or resume either.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

As for the Niners, they want Harbaugh and will offer him the job, but they are also trying to hire new front office personnel to become stable again.

Elway is at the Orange Bowl and expected to talk to Harbaugh about the Bronco's opening after the game, as he is Denver's number one option as well.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I'd caution against overly-optimistic predictions. No matter how good the chef, you need a full pantry. It would take several years to turn Michigan around. Tressel won it all in his second year but among the many bad things that could be said about Cooper, recruiting wasn't one of them.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

He's not going to Denver. Shifty said no way he goes there today on radio. Said it's down to SF and UM, most likely UM. Insiders at UM are all saying 90% chance he is at UM by the end of the week.

Michigan will return 9 of 11 starters on offense counting Denard and 8 if he is gone. The defense will return 10 of 11 starters, including 6 freshmen who started at some point. If and when Harbaugh comes he will add some of his recruits imo at Michigan. I think you will see him add defensive quality quickly. His class at Stanford according to scout is #6 in the country.

I don't think the turn around will take more then a year. Next season's team reminds me of the 2001 OSU team budding for the 2002 season.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I guess Denard could always transfer to tOSU!

He would be an excellent flanker/WR for Braxton Miller to throw to!

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

If that were the case he would stay at UM.

My guess is he goes to Clemson.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

I think Harbaugh's personality is better for the college game than the NFL. He can also go visit his brother on the sidelines during an NFL game. There will be a lot of NFL jobs this year but they are also working on a new Labor Deal. His brother went to Baltimore with a good team and front office. Many of the jobs coming open do not have that. The Team up North is a great opportunity which may not come open again for a long time. He would do well up North.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

peake wrote:If that were the case he would stay at UM.

My guess is he goes to Clemson.

Why Clemson?

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

out of high school Denards #1 was Michigan, #2 Florida, #3 Clemson.

I figure he is not going back to Florida running the pro-set so Clemson looks the best to me.

eccedomusscientiae
Freshman Team

Post by eccedomusscientiae »

Finally Michigan seems to be waking up. I agree with Peake. I believe the best place to go for Harbaugh is Michigan. There would be absloutely no pressure on him there. It is a no lose situation after Rodriguez ran the program in the ground. Anything that Harbaugh would do would be an improvement. What is RR 6-18 in the big ten? Geesh.
The only problem I have here is the danger that Harbaugh's tremendous ego gets him itching for the NFL in 5 years. Also, Ann Arbor is terrible in the winter.
What about the Miami job? That wouold be a great fit for him after Sparano gets axed. Great climate.

What if Harbaugh says no? Do they keep Rodriguez? What other option would they have?

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

All the reports on the "Machine" this morning say talks between Harbaugh and UM have broken down. He either stays at Stanford with Luck or moves on to the NFL.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Until I see Harbaugh to 49ers, Denver, etc I still believe he ends up in Ann Arbor.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Barwis to stay at Michigan!!!! I was certain he would leave, not the case, he is staying.

Return to “College Sports”