Thoughts on Boise State

gymrat88
JV Team

Thoughts on Boise State

Post by gymrat88 »

So the Smurf Turf Brigade beat a Virginia Tech team who seems to be struggling, and then defeated Oregon State at home. The sentence I just wrote basically wraps up their season, so I thought that now is an appropriate time to throw the questions out there: Do they belong in the National Championship if they finish undefeated? If so, how would they stack up against Alabama, Ohio State, or another top team? Are vicotories over Virginia Tech, Oregon State and 8 other schools that probably couldn't beat Mount Union or Otterbein warranted in dubbing this team as one of the best in the country?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Re: Thoughts on Boise State

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

No

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

gymrat88 wrote:Do they belong in the National Championship if they finish undefeated?
It depends on the other schools.
Are vicotories over Virginia Tech, Oregon State and 8 other schools that probably couldn't beat Mount Union or Otterbein warranted in dubbing this team as one of the best in the country?
Ah, come on now, don't be one of those guys. Toledo is actually playing well this season, but I don't favor their chances at Boise (only loss was opening season blowout to Arizona). And they'll have to travel to Nevada toward the end of the season which could be a very interesting game as Nevada is a good club that has a good chance to remain undefeated until that game. And they are a very good team at home.

This is one reason I absolutely despise pre-season rankings: creates a perception before you even get to see teams play the game. Virginia Tech is not a top five team, but it was still a good win for Boise... and then VT ends up getting beat by James Madison. However, the media wants to ignore this and just either act like it never happened and it doesn't effect Boise or that it's due to a hangover from the Boise game. To me, it diminishes the Boise win as it shows VT isn't that strong. And Oregon State has a couple ok players, but are not that great of a team, but do to pre-season rankings and so forth we see them ranked.

And the media and fans continue riding Boise using the past as a basis for their reasoning which is the #1 fallacy in college sports as every school fields a different team each season. You cannot use the past to make a case for the present. Boise is a very good team in my opinion, and they can beat anyone in the NCAA - like everyone else can, on any given Saturday. But their two "big" wins have already been diminished, in my eyes however it seems a majority will disregard the other teams' performances.

Do they deserve a national championship appearance for going undefeated? It truly depends on the other teams and how they do. Depending on the losses (to what teams, by how much, how they played, etc.) I may even lean toward a 1-loss SEC, Big Ten, Pac-10, or one of the two good Big XII schools. We'll see how the season continues to play out, but in by no means do I think they deserve a crack at the Nat'l Title over the other elite programs if they should all end up undefeated.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Besides a no loss alabama or osu yes they should play for the title if they run the table and alabama or osu takes a loss HELL THEY DO IT EVER YEAR AND EVERY YEAR THEY BEAT THE spose to be powerhouse.

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

ACC- Ok, maybe the Mount Union/Otterbein comparison was a bit of a stretch. But I agree with what you said. I too believe pre-season rankings are totally worthless. IMO- I think the AP and USA Today should wait 3-4 weeks before ranking the teams, and then rank of course based on record, and performance. However, I would say that if they ranked them according to that you would still have Alabama, Ohio State, and Boise State as the top 3. But for example- Texas was in the top 5 in the pre-season. They lost to a sub-par UCLA team, and had a lack luster game against Rice in the Jerry Jones Dome. Their ranking was totally based on last season and had nothing to do with the players returning.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

NO!

Look at their schedule. Oregon State is probably the best team on it. Are they a powerhouse? NO!

They beat a Virginia Tech team that does the same thing every year......start out high on the preseason polls and then make a crash landing. This year it was just a little sooner than most.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

There aren't any "powerhouse" teams on the Buckeyes schedule either.
Boise St. went out and did what they were supposed to do, and won against what people will percieve as the two toughest opponent on their schedule.

VTech and Oregon St are good, but they are not going to give Boise the best game they see all year. That nod will go to Nevada. Navada is dangerous to Boise not only because they are a good team, but because of the familiarity they have with Boise. It's the same reason people always say that Illinois and Purdue play the Buckeyes well.

As for how they would look in the title game, I think they would hold their own and be very competitive against Bama and OSU, but lose. Their whole M.O. is that if they get extended time to prepare for a top team, then they can hang with or beat them. That's why they look good so often against BCS level schools.
But, if they played in a BCS conference and had to run theough those schedules every week, they would lose at least a couple games a year.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

gymrat88 wrote:ACC- Ok, maybe the Mount Union/Otterbein comparison was a bit of a stretch. But I agree with what you said. I too believe pre-season rankings are totally worthless. IMO- I think the AP and USA Today should wait 3-4 weeks before ranking the teams, and then rank of course based on record, and performance. However, I would say that if they ranked them according to that you would still have Alabama, Ohio State, and Boise State as the top 3. But for example- Texas was in the top 5 in the pre-season. They lost to a sub-par UCLA team, and had a lack luster game against Rice in the Jerry Jones Dome. Their ranking was totally based on last season and had nothing to do with the players returning.
I disagree that they would be #3 based on their performance this year. As I've pointed out their two big wins - they didn't look incredible, and both of those schools aren't all that great. Maybe the back half of the top ten or top 15 is where they should be. Nebraska and Oregon should be ranked ahead of them based on performance. Just my opinion.
Really depends on ones interpretation of the term powerhouse. Ohio State plays a much stronger schedule with Miami, Iowa, Penn State, Michigan, and Wisconsin. And Marshall, Ohio, Illinois, etc. are comparable, if not better, than the WAC teams. That's not Boise's fault, but you can't compare the schedules of the two schools.
Besides a no loss alabama or osu yes they should play for the title if they run the table and alabama or osu takes a loss HELL THEY DO IT EVER YEAR AND EVERY YEAR THEY BEAT THE spose to be powerhouse.
Again, as I mentioned this is the NUMBER ONE FALLACY in Boise supporters. You CANNOT use past years to argue this season.

With the voters in place it's looking very strongly that they'll remain #3 in the polls until Alabama or Ohio State loses and they will get a crack at the National Championship. However, if a Nebraska or Oklahoma end up undefeated (very likely due to their schedule as they may both be undefeated when they square off in the Big XII championship) there'll be a much larger outcry for a tournament and/or saying they are more deserving than Boise if that happens... and it's VERY possible. This could be a season where we see 4 undefeated teams realistically.

But I've already answered the specific question asked by the topic starter so I'll just reiterate that it depends on how the season plays out and which schools have what records if Boise truly does deserve a chance at the title.

Rebels on 3
All State

Post by Rebels on 3 »

Boise deserves to be in the top ten, but they shouldnt be in the national title game. I hope they do make it to the national title so they can play a real powerhouse program like the Buckeyes or Bama and set them back to reality just like Georgia did a few years back.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

IMHO. Boise is a topten and possibly top five team but until they run the gauntlet of a top-tier conference schedule, they should not get a bid to the BCS Championship game. After assessing the different conference strengths this year, I wouldn't let anyone from the ACC, Big East or Big 12 be considered, either. THIS YEAR. I think that is why polls shouldn't be issued until October.

Heath
Riding the Bench

Post by Heath »

they need to play a team worth talkin about

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

ACCBiggz wrote:
Really depends on ones interpretation of the term powerhouse. Ohio State plays a much stronger schedule with Miami, Iowa, Penn State, Michigan, and Wisconsin. And Marshall, Ohio, Illinois, etc. are comparable, if not better, than the WAC teams. That's not Boise's fault, but you can't compare the schedules of the two schools.
The Buckeyes schedule is definatly harder, but none of the schools on the Buckeyes schedule are powerhouse teams.
They are better than Boise's schedule, and just about 1/2 of the Buckeyes opponents are better than the two best schools Boise plays.

But they are not power houses.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

Again, it depends on your interpretation of that word. Some may claim Miami, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Penn State are powerhouses. Sure Iowa dropped a close game to Arizona, but the point remains. I was just wondering what your definition of a powerhouse is. Generally it's reserved for schools who have a history of success which would lump Iowa, Penn State, and Wisconsin without question and Miami just a bit on the outside due to recent years. But again, that's putting an emphasis on past performance.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Bama, Bucks, Gators, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, USC

That's about as deep as the list goes.
Now, there are some fine programs that are on a list just below that level.
But, when were talking powerhouse schools, the list is very select and you have to do more than just compete for a conference title
to get on it.

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:Bama, Bucks, Gators, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, USC

But, when were talking powerhouse schools, the list is very select and you have to do more than just compete for a conference title
to get on it.
I think the time is getting relatively close that you can take LSU off that list. They haven't performed like a powerhouse the past 2-3 seasons, they're not lookin to "powerful".

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

It really is a short list this year- Bama and the Bucks. They may not make it to the BCS game like the two best teams don't always make it to the Super Bowl. But that is my list this year, beginning to end.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

bigtimehitter wrote:
seofan_via_dublin wrote:Bama, Bucks, Gators, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, USC

to get on it.
I think the time is getting relatively close that you can take LSU off that list. They haven't performed like a powerhouse the past 2-3 seasons, they're not lookin to "powerful".
Exactly, and neither has Oklahoma. But like I said this kind of statement is more about past years performances than this year. Which is fine if you are talking of programs overall and not trying to make a case for this season's rankings and so forth. And to be quite honest if I were to make a list of "power house" programs Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa would all be added to it from the Big Ten alone. They routinely perform well, recruit well, and so forth. Basically, they are consistent. If I were to limit it on a year-to-year basis of who I think has a shot at the national championship then each year the list would only be 3-5 schools depending on the talent they field.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

OKLAHOMA HAS BEEN IN THE BCS CHAMPIONSHIP GAME IN EVERY PRESEASON BOOK , FOR THE LAST 15 YEARS, AND ALL THE DO IS WORFULLY UNDERACHIEVE.

surfsider
All State

Post by surfsider »

IMHO, neither Alabama nor Ohio State will go undefeated, and Boise probably will, so that leaves the question who does BSU face in the National Title game. I'd say an Oregon or a Auburn (if they beat Bama). Yep, the Tide and Buckeyes will lose to someone this season.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

I think OSU and Alabama would lick their chops to play Boise's schedule. They'd both destroy Oregon St. and Va. Tech. The rest of their schedule? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “College Sports”