Georgia 42 Ohio State 41 CFP Semi Finals

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: #4 Ohio St (11-1) vs. #1 Georgia (13-0) CFP Semi Finals

Post by Bleeding Red »

Omega wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:49 am Buckeyes are in Atlanta. Just four more sleeps until it is game day. One would assume the hard prep has been accomplished back in Columbus, and all that remains is bowl site acclimation and the obligatory bowl public relations activities.

Ohio State enters the game as only a 6.5 point underdog to Georgia, yet the Buckeye media and fan sites are full of predictions of UGA winning by 21 points or more. Articles focus on OSU shortcomings rather than on how Georgia can be beaten. A kind of Ohio against the world scenario.

I hope otherwise but I can see the Bucks suffering a beat down like they experienced against Clemson in 2016. Could OSU find some hidden leadership and fortitude? Certainly, but where has it been the last two years?

UGA 34 OSU 13

What say you!
OSU didn't have a passing game or a balanced offense in 2016 and it showed. Clemson stacked the box and dared JT Barrett to throw the ball, knowing he wasn't an effective passer. Stroud is very accurate and has plenty of weapons to throw the ball to.

The key will be OSUs passing attack vs Georgia's secondary and Georgia's ability to run the ball against OSUs defensive front. Both are good vs good for each team.

If Stroud man's up and uses his legs to keep drives going, it could be a very long day for Georgia's defense.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

The Dogs from Athens should wear down the Men from Columbus.

Bennett is just a take what the D gives you...over and over..then he'll burn you or one their backs will do it.

I think the other semi-final will be exciting...Bichigan should win but...I'm not counting out the Horned Frogs.

Georgia 42....31 Ohio

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Ohio State has listed their player injury report and RB Miyan Williams and OL Matt Jones are listed as available to play. Only TE Gee Scott listed as a game time decision. Of course TreVeyon Henderson and Jaxon Smith-Njigba were ruled as unable to play earlier.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... -ruled-out

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Georgia 42 Ohio State 41 CFP Semi Finals

Post by Omega »

Tough game for Ohio State to lose, yet I am both shocked and pleased with the Buckeye's effort.

Noah Ruggles missed a potential game winning 50 yard field goal with :03 left in the game to seal the Georgia win. Stetson Bennett had given the Bulldogs its lead with 1:49 left in the game, with a ten yard td pass, capping a 5 play 72 yard drive.

Once again OSU wilted in the 4th quarter, being out scored 18-3. Still the Buckeye went toe to toe physically with UGA. CJ Stroud shed the cloud of lacking leadership and being soft by actually running the ball to get the Bucks into field goal range at the end. Ryan Day and his staff were aggressive on play calling and moreover everybody played to win instead of playing not to lose.

Two unusual plays may have swung the momentum to UGA. A review and overturning of a spot on a fourth down stop by OSU's defense led to Bulldog points. Then OSU pulled a successful fake punt on fourth down that was waved off as Georgia called time out as the ball was snapped.

Injuries to Marvin Harrison (concussion) and Cade Stover during the game also did not help the Buckeye cause.

I did not expect that the Bucks would indeed look like a top four team after they sleep walked through the second half of the season.

UGA gained 533 yards in the contest, 398 through the air and 135 rushing.

Stetson Bennett was 23 of 34 passing 398 yards and 3 tds against 1 int. Kenny McIntosh led UGA with 70 yards on 5 carries.

For OSU, CJ Stroud threw 34 times with 23 completions for 348 yards and 4 tds against no interceptions. Emeka Egbuka led OSU with 8 catches for 112 yards and a touchdown while MJ Harrison snagged 5 catches for 106 yards and 2 scores before being injured.

Stroud also added 34 yards rushing on 12 carries. Dallan Hayden led Buckeye ball carriers with 43 yards on 9 tries. . MJ Harrison added Miyan Williams added OSU's only rushing td. The Bucks managed 467 total yards for the game.

Even with the loss, the Bucks rose to the occasion and vanquished some of the doubt that surrounded the program over the second half of the season. I thought OSU had no chance going into the game but they proved me wrong.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Well....

I had Georgia's score correct

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Even in the loss, I applaud OSUs effort. Big turning point in the game was the no call on targeting when Harrison Jr had to come out. Georgia had NO answer for OSUs up tempo offense with Harrison in the game.

Kudos to CJ Stroud for using his legs and showing some grit. I think he shut up a lot of naysayers.

CJ had a great run at OSU. Next man up. Looking forward to next year.

Still heartbroken......one play away from the Bucks playing for a NC. I had a feeling OSU needed another 10 yards to make the FG try much easier for Ruggles, given the pressure and situation.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Bleeding Red wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:12 pm Even in the loss, I applaud OSUs effort. Big turning point in the game was the no call on targeting when Harrison Jr had to come out. Georgia had NO answer for OSUs up tempo offense with Harrison in the game.

Kudos to CJ Stroud for using his legs and showing some grit. I think he shut up a lot of naysayers.

Still heartbroken......one play away from the Bucks playing for a NC. I had a feeling OSU needed another 10 yards to make the FG try much easier for Ruggles, given the pressure and situation.
Loved the Playcalling for 3 quarters. 4th quarter was too conservative. Yes, Harrison out really hurt but have to keep the pedal to the metal, that is how they got in that position. Also, after the Timeout before fake punt I was wishing they would have run a different look fake punt again right after, I don't think anyone would have seen it coming two times in a row. Leave nothing in the tank. Willing to do it once should have been willing to do it twice.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

baseball16 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:57 pm
Bleeding Red wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:12 pm Even in the loss, I applaud OSUs effort. Big turning point in the game was the no call on targeting when Harrison Jr had to come out. Georgia had NO answer for OSUs up tempo offense with Harrison in the game.

Loved the Playcalling for 3 quarters. 4th quarter was too conservative. Yes, Harrison out really hurt but have to keep the pedal to the metal, that is how they got in that position. Also, after the Timeout before fake punt I was wishing they would have run a different look fake punt again right after, I don't think anyone would have seen it coming two times in a row. Leave nothing in the tank. Willing to do it once should have been willing to do it twice.
Bit at the time I think OSU was up 11 and they had 3 consecutive stops on Georgia's offense earlier in the game. So I get not trying the fake punt again after the timeout

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:59 am
baseball16 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:57 pm

Bit at the time I think OSU was up 11 and they had 3 consecutive stops on Georgia's offense earlier in the game. So I get not trying the fake punt again after the timeout
As to the fake punt, all would have been for naught even if the time out had not been called.

Ohio State had 12 men on the field when the ball was snapped:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... ts-timeout

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Who is the next man up for Stroud??

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

OHHS old timer wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:04 pm Who is the next man up for Stroud??
Potentially McCord but he will definitely have some competition from younger future stars

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:38 am
OHHS old timer wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:04 pm Who is the next man up for Stroud??
Potentially McCord but he will definitely have some competition from younger future stars
McCord is the likely starter over Devin Brown simply because McCord has more actual game experience and one more year in the program. The other QB is just signed QB Kayden McDonald. I think the Bucks will have more than adequate QB play.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Pretty sure that was the same fake punt they attempted in the TTUN game that failed. Kirby did a great job studying film and recognizing it was coming again, although it wouldn't have counted anyway.

Return to “College Sports”