Musings On Ryan Day And OSU Football

Omega
SEOPS H

Musings On Ryan Day And OSU Football

Post by Omega »

OSU is currently 42-5 under Ryan Day as head coach. He is 31-2 in Big 10 play including conference championship games.

In headline games Day is 3 and 4: Michigan 1-2. Clemson 1-1, Notre Dame 1-0, Oregon 0-1, Alabama 0-1. Day has two Big Ten championships and two playoff appearances.

For comparison in the same time period, Alabama is 47-6 with one national championship. Georgia is 46-5 with one national championship. Michigan is 35-10 with one Big 10 title and one playoff appearence as of this moment.

In recruiting, OSU has averaged the 6th best national recruiting class over the last 4 years per 247. Michigan has averaged the 10th best recruiting class, Alabama 1st, and Georgia 2nd.

Accolades for Day include being thought of as a players coach in terms of being NIL friendly, player well being, and ability to relate to the college football player of the current era. He gets strong marks for overall record, recruiting, and compliance.

Criticism of Day first and foremost includes two consecutive loss to Michigan, the deadliest of deadly sins for Ohio State football.

The losses bring into question Day's recruiting and player development philosophy. Finesse versus power. Player recruiting pitching NFL development over the concept of team.

Also consider hints of some unknown internal problems ranging from players quitting in 2021 to second half regression and lack of on field leadership in 2022.

Finally Day seems stubborn as to his offensive philosophy and unwillingness to delegate play calling to his offensive coordinator.

Put it all together, and what would be a considered a banner year at most schools has turned into an existential crisis due to one loss and how that loss came about. The expectations at OSU are unforgiving.
To add to the angst in Columbus, Day and the AD have been strangely quiet since Saturday.

Ryan Day's job should not be in jeopardy. I believe he will ultimately leave on his own terms for the NFL. As with anything in life, events run in cycles. Given that, State's dominant run in the Big 10 simply may be unsustainable.

Again this is my musing and effort to reconcile myself to the situation. I know from experience I am wrong more than I am correct. Now that the anger has subsided from the 26th, what are other fans thoughts about the state of the program.
Last edited by Omega on Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Musings On Ryan Day And OSJ Football

Post by noreply66 »

If Day should go for two straight Ls to meatchicken them hardball should have been gone long ago to a California high school.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Musings On Ryan Day And OSU Football

Post by Omega »

Not that it likely has anything to do with Buckeye football, it has been reported that Ohio State President Kristina Johnson has been asked to resign by the University's Board of Trustees. The popular "unspecified" reasons after an investigation. TOSU campus has seen recent turmoil over racism and anti-Semitism in recent days. Also there has been pressure against the school's administration for not doing enough to correct systemic issues from the Strauss sexual predation scandal.

Only thing of note about sports is that Johnson has been an avid supporter of Buckeye athletics.

https://www.thelantern.com/2022/11/repo ... n-tuesday/

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Musings On Ryan Day And OSU Football

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

IMO
Day needs to hire the best secondary coach money can buy
Day needs to turnover the play calling to the best offensive-minded coach money can buy.

Return to “College Sports”