Ohio St 44 Penn St 31 Saturday October 29th, 2022

Omega
SEOPS H

Ohio St 44 Penn St 31 Saturday October 29th, 2022

Post by Omega »

As All Hallows Eve approaches, Ohio State will travel to State College for their most difficult test to date against the Penn State Nittany Lions. The game is set for a noon kick with broadcast on Fox

The team backed by @TRENCHFOOT is coming of an impressive 45-17 home win over Minnesota and would love to derail the Buckeye's championship run.

Ohio State leads the all time series 22-14, and has won five in a row, with the average margin of victory being only seven points. The Bucks last lost in Happy Valley in 2016, 24-21.

Penn St. averages 34 points a game while giving up 19.
The Lions are lead by crafty veteran QB Sean Clifford. He will not be on any one's All American list, but he does have a knack of completing deep 50/50 passes and keeping drives alive with his legs with uncanny escapes from pressure. PSU also has talent throughout their lineup on both sides of the ball to make things tough on the Buckeyes.

For Ohio State, they will need to be patient and execute. Turnovers and penalties will give a PSU a chance to hang around and grab a win before a raucus home crowd of 107,000+.

Penn St opens at +15. I see a much closer game:

OSU 27 PSU 17

Thoughts?
Last edited by Omega on Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: #2 Ohio State 7-0 (4-0) @ #13 Penn State 6-1 (3-1) Saturday October 29th, 2022

Post by Bleeding Red »

If OSU gets off to a fast start (scoring 10+ in the first quarter) I think they ROLL PSU.

PSU is not built to play from behind. For them to have a chance they have to move the ball and get first down and limit OSU possessions and win the field position battle.

I don't think PSU can contain OSUs run game and if they play a zone, CJ will pick them apart.

OSU 45
PSU 20

Valenth
SEOP

Re: #2 Ohio State 7-0 (4-0) @ #13 Penn State 6-1 (3-1) Saturday October 29th, 2022

Post by Valenth »

This is a true Test for the Buckeyes.. but I think they win by a couple scores

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

I truly believe the Winner of this game will be playing for the BIG TEN Championship as well as a CFP appearance.

what happens in this scenario: Xichigan beat Penn St
Penn St. Beats OSU
OSU Beats Xichigan all would have 1 Conference Loss in the EAST. Be an interesting tie break scenario!

84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

Im thinking they start out slow , like Iowa , then turn on the jets . OSU isnt going to win by 30 but I do say they pull this one out .

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Ohio State has reported frosh RB TC Caffey will be unavailable for a "long time". Chip Trayanum, transfer from AZ State will move to RB from defense to provide for depth.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... -long-term

Also there continues to be plans for Jaxon Smith-Njigba to play:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... penn-state

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

take care of business.

get better. win the football game and move on to the next week.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Glad to hear that JSN is going to play. I just hope he is healthy enough during the practice week to shake some rust off. When healthy, he will provide explosion to an already high flying WR group, and be another nightmare for opposing defenses to prepare for.

As long as JSN is getting touches and thrown to during the course of the game, opposing defenses cant afford safety help to double team Harrison JR, which is a big win for OSU.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Bleeding Red wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:30 am Glad to hear that JSN is going to play. I just hope he is healthy enough during the practice week to shake some rust off. When healthy, he will provide explosion to an already high flying WR group, and be another nightmare for opposing defenses to prepare for.

As long as JSN is getting touches and thrown to during the course of the game, opposing defenses cant afford safety help to double team Harrison JR, which is a big win for OSU.
He is not going to play. Yes they say he may be available, but that is just a ploy for PSU to gameplan for him. However, I will be shocked if he's on the field. He tweaked it last week and more than likely going to be out 3-4 more weeks.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

baseball16 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:13 am
Bleeding Red wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:30 am Glad to hear that JSN is going to play. I just hope he is healthy enough during the practice week to shake some rust off. When healthy, he will provide explosion to an already high flying WR group, and be another nightmare for opposing defenses to prepare for.

He is not going to play. Yes they say he may be available, but that is just a ploy for PSU to gameplan for him. However, I will be shocked if he's on the field. He tweaked it last week and more than likely going to be out 3-4 more weeks.
We shall see. But if you and JSN talked about this already, I will take your word for it ;)

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Some in media are putting Ohio State on upset alert:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HA3RS2Pw7WI

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... enn-state/

Click bait titles for sure, but even OSU friendly media is toning down their usual expectations of a Buckeye blow out.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

Penn State can win this game no doubt, but we will see

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

JAXON SMITH-NJIGBA, CAMERON BROWN AMONG 15 BUCKEYES UNAVAILABLE FOR OHIO STATE'S MATCHUP WITH PENN STATE

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... penn-state

As much as I feel bad for JSN, the Buckeyes are more effective offensively without him. As talented as JSN is, he just cannot be effective with a bum wheel. He needs to heal more than he needs to try and play. His legacy at OSU is already secure.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I agree Omega they wont miss him. Them receivers can all run. He didnt even make the trip so it must be pretty bad. As long as they got the QB getting them the ball they will be good. 35-21

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Not being able to run the ball handcuffs the offense. The long run at the end sealed the game. They need to run 150+ yards a game. Harrison running patterns and catching the ball. Not having JSN puts limits on the offense.

Defense gave up to much. Eichenburg missed to many tackles in the backfield. Then the ones he made were mainly 6 yards downfield. Some big plays here and the by different lineman helped. The play of JTT made the game with big plays.

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Ohio St 44 Penn St 31 Saturday October 29th, 2022

Post by Omega »

Yeah, Ohio State won but the Buckeyes may not be what we think they are.

Penn St and Sean Clifford out dueled Ohio St and CJ Stroud statistically and except for four Nittany turnovers, the Bucks would have traveled home with an upset loss.

Clifford was 32 of 47 for 371yards and 3 touhdowns. His undoing was throwing 3 interceptions including a 14 yard pick six by J.Tuimoloau that sealed the game for the Bukeyes. The Lions racked up 111 yards on the ground giving Penn State 482 total yards gained for the game.
We saw why Jim Knowles defense is considered high risk in giving up big plays but high reward in creating turnovers.

For OSU, Stroud was 26 of 33 for 354 yards but only one touchdown. The Lions pressed the OSU receivers on the line of scrimmage, keeping big plays in check.

The concerning part of the Buckeye offense was the running game. For the second straight week, the Bucks were held to under 100 yards rushing. That and of the 98 yards the Buckeyes did manage, 41 came on a touchdown run by TreVeyon Henderson.

Honestly Sean Clifford deserved a better fate. He is not the most talented QB around, but he plays balls to the wall.

The Buckeyes will regroup to face Northwestern away and hopefully find an answer to their suddenly anemic running game. Also, Miyan Williams was injured which might complicate revitalizing State's rushing attack.

Although Ohio State controls their own destiny for winning the Big 10 and qualifying for the playoffs, one has to ask is Michigan actually now the most complete team in the conference.
Last edited by Omega on Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I said leading up this was the best offense by far to date they have faced. Wow didn't seem like PSU had that many total yards. Scary thing is they will face much better offenses down the road. I thought overall the defense was pretty solid despite the enormous yards given up. Clifford didn't get much protection and had somebody in his face the whole day forcing some of them turnovers. Only thing I didn't like was that clown show on the first PSU td where the two Dbs bounced right off the receiver and he took off for six. The Bucks needed this to bring them back to earth and show them they are beatable and can't just show up and beat teams. Williams needs to get healed up to keep the two-headed monster in the backfield. Good win in a tough environment!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Not great but a win.
Did anyone else feel as if the announcers wanted the Bucks to drop this one?

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:18 pm Not great but a win.
Did anyone else feel as if the announcers wanted the Bucks to drop this one?
Yeah, Joel Klatt and Gus Johnson usually tend to go out of their way to be complimentary to OSU, but they also know controversy helps ratings.

In your journalistic adventures, you do an excellent job in reporting the who, what, where, when, and why in your game reports.

Return to “College Sports”